/

Magill’s 100 Rules: Reading Room and Library

This is part 5 in a 9 part series on Magill’s rules.

Swarthmore College has a long and deep history. Daily, we are reminded of this in small ways: by the names and dates on memorial plaques; the wear and architecture of buildings; the stature and grandeur of trees, and so much more. At The Daily Gazette, we aim to be a forum for relevant news and discourse. No less important though, is our role (and the role of all campus publications) in preserving institutional memory. In that spirit, we present to you the part 5 in the series “Magill’s 100 Rules,” courtesy of the sesquicentennial website.

Reading Room and Library
  1. All conversation in the reading room is forbidden.
  2. The reading room is always open between schools; always closed to students after the beginning of evening collection.
  3. The reading room is open for consulting reference books in study periods only when the librarian or assistant librarian is present.
  4. Books, papers, and magazines must be carefully used, not marked or defaced, and must be returned to their proper places by the person using them.
  5. Students are permitted to go into the library only when accompanied by a teacher.
  6. Library books may be retained 14 days.

Featured image courtesy of swarthmore.edu.

Edward Magill

As a young man, Edward Hicks Magill joined Swarthmore's faculty when it opened in 1869 and continued to hold teaching positions while president, including professor of mental and moral philosophy.