Weekend Roundup

Baseball

The baseball team closed out its season with a 4-1 victory away at Gwynedd Mercy on Monday. Nathan Booth ’16 allowed one unearned run and fanned six in a complete game effort, while the offense provided one run each in the fifth through eighth innings.

Over the weekend, the team struggled in its final conference matchups of the season. On Friday, the Garnet lost their final home game 12-6 against Ursinus. Cal Barnett-Mayotte ’18 had a notable game, going 3-for-4 with one run and one RBI. The team tried but could not come back from a deficit that got as wide as nine runs during the sixth inning.

On Saturday, the Garnet were swept in a doubleheader at Franklin & Marshall by scores of 6-1 and 5-2. The team committed five errors during the first game, contributing to the four unearned runs given up by pitcher Aidan Miller ’17. Both teams were only able to muster up five hits during the first game.

F&M took command in the first inning of the second game by scoring three runs. Max Kassan ’18 took the loss for the Garnet after giving up five runs and 11 hits, while Barnett-Mayotte contributed a run and an RBI.

Although they did not make the playoffs, the team can be proud of earning their sixth straight winning season after going 18-17.

Men’s Tennis

On Saturday, the men’s tennis team closed out a stellar regular season with an 8-1 victory at Haverford. The team’s final record is 12-5 overall and 8-1 in conference play.

The Garnet won all three of their doubles matches. Classmates Mark Fallati ’18 and Ari Cepelewicz ’18 earned the win at first doubles, Harrison Lands ’15 and Josh Powell ’18 at second doubles, and John Larkin ’17 and Blake Oetting ’18 at third doubles.

In singles play, Larkin earned his second win of the day at first doubles. Fallati narrowly lost his match at second doubles 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-7). Cepelewicz and Oetting also earned two wins after victories in singles play, while Yosuke Higashi ’18 and Michael Song ’18 added wins at fifth and sixth singles respectively.

After the match, the Garnet ranked sixth regionally and 27th nationally. They are seeded second for the Centennial Conference Tournament which will begin at home on May 2 at 1 p.m. They will play F&M; if they win, they will go on to play in the finals at Johns Hopkins on May 3.

Women’s Tennis

In their last match, the women’s tennis team lost 9-0 to Johns Hopkins at home on Saturday. With the loss, the team narrowly missed the chance to qualify for the Centennial Conference Tournament. They ended the season as fifth seed in the conference after Muhlenberg won a tiebreaker for fourth seed later in the day.

The Garnet fought valiantly against sixth-ranked Johns Hopkins, but was not able to avoid the sweep. The loss put their final record at a respectable 9-8 overall and 5-5 in-conference.

The team also lost last Thursday at Haverford 2-7. Rachel Bronkema ’18 and Ashley

Gao ’18 won their match at third doubles, while Alli Wong ’17 earned the team’s second point with a win at first doubles after three intense sets.

All nine players currently on the roster will be returning for the team’s next season. Six of these are first-years and one is a sophomore, indicating that the team will only continue to grow and add to their achievements in the foreseeable future.

Track & Field

The men’s and women’s track & field teams competed in two events this weekend, the Penn Relays on Friday and the Lion Invite on Saturday at the College of New Jersey. They both had notable performances and look to be in solid shape for the fast-approaching Centennial Conference Championships.

At the Penn Relays, the men’s team fielded a 4×100 meter relay team in the college division and a 4×400 meter relay team in the POP Haddleton MAC race. The next afternoon at the Lion Invite, the same 4×100 team consisting of Jason Heo ’15, Zain Hannan ’17, Peter Sayde ’17, and Tim Vaughn-Ogunlusi ’15 had a third-place finish of 43.76 seconds. Other notable performances included Erick White ’15, who was fourth place in the 800-meter run and John Gagnon ’17, who earned second place in the 5000-meter run.

Osazenoriuwa Ebose ’15 kept adding to her list of achievements at the Penn Relays, where she set the Centennial Conference shot put record with a 46-feet, 10.75-inch toss. Out of 50 competitors, she was sixth in the shot put as well as 20th in the discus throw. At the Lion Invite, Lulu Allen-Waller ’17 finished second in the 400-meter intermediate hurdles as well as eighth in the 100-meter high hurdles. Jenna Cody ’16 also performed well, placing fourth in the 5000 meter run.

The Garnet will compete next at the Centennial Conference Championships, which will be at Muhlenberg this weekend.

Golf

The men’s golf team headed out to play the Centennial Conference Championships last weekend at DuPont Country Club. The men’s program finished the tournament third out of seven teams.

The men recorded a total of 931 at the tournament. Andrew Park ’15 finished fifth with a 226 and qualifies for a spot on the All-Conference team. Michael Chen ’17 was next for the Garnet at 12th with a score of 237. Yousaf Razvi ’18, Andrew Pak ’16, and Drew Langan ’17 had overall scores of 237, 238, and 240 respectively.

Amanda Beebe ’15 entered the women’s championships at Blue Ridge Country Club as an individual. She was 21st after the first day and had a score of 111 in the second round en route to finishing 28th out of 33 players. Beebe finished with a total score of 213. She was the only woman on the team as well as a tri-captain.

Men’s Lacrosse

After initially starting off with a lead, the men’s lacrosse team lost at Haverford 14-8 on Saturday. The Garnet had a 6-2 lead early in the second quarter but were the subjects of a Haverford comeback that included 10 unanswered goals. Haverford took the lead in the third quarter and never gave it back; by the fourth quarter, they led by margins as large as six goals.

Andrew Preiser ’15 had four assists, while seven different players scored for the Garnet. Cole Fox ’17 took the loss after making 11 saves. As a team, the Garnet were outdone by Haverford in most categories. They were outshot 36-24, committed 21 turnovers to Haverford’s 17, had 24 ground balls to Haverford’s 36, and lost the faceoffs battle 14-11.

The Garnet’s final game this season was last night against Vassar at home. As of Saturday, the team had an overall record of 6-8 and finished conference play with a record of 1-7. After a hot 6-2 start this season, the team struggled to win games in the stretch and will look to improve its performance next season.

Women’s Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team ended its season at home against Haverford last Saturday, who they lost to 17-10. Although the Garnet matched Haverford in the second half, recovering from a 10-3 deficit after the first half proved too difficult.

Elyse Tierney ’15 opened up scoring for the Garnet to tie the game 1-1 early in the first half. However, Haverford soon went on a run to build a 5-1 lead. Taylor Chiang ’18 broke up Haverford’s streak with a goal to make it 5-2, with Kathryn Restrepo ’18 scoring seconds later to close the gap to 5-3. Haverford then scored five unanswered goals to close out the first half.

The Garnet were unable to challenge for the lead after that. Sara Lentricchia ’15 led the team with three goals and one assist. Restrepo added three goals total, Tierney had two, and Christina Labows ’18 also scored a goal. Connie Bowen ’16 took the loss after making seven saves.

After an encouraging 6-3 start, the Garnet lost seven of their last eight games and ended the season with four consecutive losses. The team will look to improve next season on its 7-9 overall and 2-7 conference record.