Weekend roundup

Women’s Track and Field

Four members of the women’s track and field team came home with first place finishes after competing in the Johns Hopkins Invitational this past Saturday. Lulu Allen-Waller ’17 came home with two wins this past weekend in both the 100-meter and 400-meter hurdles with times of 15.82 and 1:03.76, respectively. Her time of 1:03.76 in the 400-meter hurdles came close to breaking Kenyetta Givens’ first place record time of 1:02.72.

Sarah Nielsen ’16 and Osazenoriuwa Ebose ’15 also finished first in the 1,500-meter run and the shot put, respectively. Nielsen crossed the finish line in just 4:43.52 seconds and barely ran past the second-place finisher from Johns Hopkins. Ebose earned another win in shot put as she recorded a throw of 42-feet 9.50 inches.

The women will return to the track this Saturday in the Widener Invitational.

Men’s Tennis

The 27th nationally ranked men’s tennis team continued to dominate their conference opponents this past Sunday as they swept their fourth conference opponent this season, McDaniel, 9-0. All three doubles teams contributed to the win including No.1 doubles pair Mark Fallati ’18 and Ari Cepelewicz ’18 who defeated their opponents 8-6. No. 2 doubles pair Harrison Lands ’15 and Josh Powell ’18 and No. 3 doubles pair Matt Hirsh ’16 and Michael Song ’18 both won their matches by a score of 8-3.

Singles saw the same fate as their doubles counterpart as all six members were victorious. Fallati won at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-3, Cepelewicz won at No. 2 singles 6-1, 6-2, and Powell only gave up one set at No. 3 singles with a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Yosuke Higashi ’18 followed Powell’s footsteps and only gave up two sets during the match, winning 6-2, 6-0 at No. 4 singles. Hirsh won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5 singles while Lands closed out the night with a sweep of his opponent 6-0, 6-0.

However, the team’s winning streak came to a close after getting swept by #10 nationally ranked Johns Hopkins 0-9. The team hopes to get closer to repeating their 8-1 conference record last season as they travel to Carlisle to face Dickinson College this Saturday.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team split their two conference matches this past week as they lost 7-2 to Franklin and Marshall this past Saturday but defeated Bryn Mawr 8-1 yesterday afternoon.

Maria Cuervo ’18 helped earn both of the team’s points against F&M as she and No. 1 doubles teammate Ali Wong ’17 earned the team’s first win. Cuervo went on to earn the team’s second point at No. 3 singles 6-1, 6-3.

The team won all three of their doubles matches against Bryn Mawr as No.1 doubles pair Wong and Cuervo returned to the court to sweep their opponents, 8-0. No. 3 doubles pair Abby Schmidt ’16 and May Dong ’18 also swept their opponents with a score of 8-0. Ashley Gao ’18 and Rachel Bronkema ’18 came close to a sweep as they won 8-2 in No. 2 doubles. Wong, Cuervo, Gao, Bronkema and Sophia Schuster ’18 all won in singles play as well at No. 1, No. 3, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively.

The team will return to the court this Saturday as they face their eighth conference opponent, Dickinson, in an away game at 1 p.m.

Golf

The men’s golf team placed sixth among 12 schools this past Monday in the Glenmaura National Collegiate Invitational. Senior captain Andrew Park led the Garnet by tying for fourth place individually and carding a 74 and 76 in the opening and final round. Both Michael Chen ’17 and Drew Langan ’18 followed behind Park and finished with scores of 158. Yousaf Razvi ’18 rounded out the team’s score and carded a 167. Amanda Beebe ’15 finished in 29th place individually and carded a 101 after one round.

Langan returned on Tuesday to lead the men’s golf team against Ursinus by tying for second overall and matching his career high of 76. Razvi carded an 82, earning him eighth place out of 24 competitors total. Beebe also competed in the match and finished 11th out of 20 golfers, carding a 103.

The team will play one final match at the Widener Invitational next Monday before they begin to compete in the Centennial Conference Championships starting on April 24.

Softball

Last Saturday, the softball team broke its eight-game losing streak in the first game of a doubleheader at Dickinson with a 9-5 victory. However, the team lost the nightcap 9-1 and were with a 1-8 conference record at the end of the day.

The results in the first game were encouraging, as the Garnet jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the first inning, highlighted by a grand slam from Christen Boas Hayes ’16. Boas Hayes had six RBIs total throughout the game, a career best. Mary Olesnavich ’18 was the winning pitcher for the Garnet, giving up five runs, two earned, in seven innings.

Dickinson responded to the loss with a lopsided win in the night game. The Garnet found themselves trailing 7-0 after two innings and were unable to recover. Their only run came on an RBI single in the fourth inning from Boas Hayes. In five innings, the Garnet were able to muster up only four hits before the game was called due to the eight-run rule.

The team’s next game is at home against Widener at 4:30 p.m. today. That will be followed by a doubleheader at home against Haverford, giving the team a chance to improve on its conference record.

Baseball

Aidan Miller ’17 of the baseball team was named the Centennial Conference player of the week last Monday. Miller received the honor a day after pitching a no-hitter against Washington College, the Garnet’s first since 1997. As of Monday, he led the Garnet with a stellar 2.17 ERA.

Miller was the highlight in what has otherwise been a down week for the Garnet. They dropped a doubleheader to Johns Hopkins on Saturday, followed by a 1-0 loss at Washington College despite Miller’s no-hitter. The struggles continued with a 4-6 loss on Tuesday at Muhlenberg that marked the fifth straight game that the team had lost.

The Garnet performed well early in their first game against John Hopkins, leading 4-1 at the end of the fifth inning after Roy Walker ’16 and Scoop Ruxin ’15 had two RBIs apiece. Johns Hopkins then proceeded to score eight runs in the seventh and eighth inning to win the game 8-4. They carried that explosive production on offense into the second game, in which they dominated the Garnet 17-2.

The game against Muhlenberg was close, with both teams tied 4-4 before Muhlenberg broke the tie late in the game. The loss sank the Garnet’s conference record to 4-7.

Yesterday afternoon, the team lost 2-9 at Immaculata. Next up for the team is a home matchup with DeSale today at 4 p.m., followed by a rematch with conference opponent Muhlenberg on Friday at home.

Women’s lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team was dominated by third-ranked Franklin & Marshall on Saturday, losing 15-3. The loss put the Garnet at a 7-5 overall record and 2-3 conference record.

F&M never gave the Garnet a chance to get into the game, kicking it off with six unanswered goals and going into the half with a 9-2 lead. Lizzie Kolln ’16, Taylor Chiang ’18, and Elyse Tierney ’15 each scored a goal apiece for the Garnet.

The Garnet were dominated both offensively and defensively. F&M outshot the Garnet 36-11 and forced them into 27 turnovers while committing only 12 themselves.

Hopefully, the Garnet will not dwell too long on a loss against a team that was ranked the top in the nation at the beginning of the season and will instead focus on the three games that they have left for the regular season. All of these are in-conference, giving the Garnet plenty of opportunities to end the season with winning overall and conference records as well as bid for a spot in the playoffs.

This Saturday, the Garnet will play against Dickinson at 1 p.m. at home, where they have yet to lose a game this season. After that, the Garnet will play at Washington College on Wednesday night.

Men’s lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team had only one game this week, a 15-6 loss against F&M at home last Saturday. The loss put a damper on the team’s senior day, where players honored their eight seniors prior to the game.

Joe Hagedorn ’15 scored his first career hat trick for the Garnet during the game. He scored the first goal of the match less than a minute in, giving the Garnet a promising start. Ultimately, however, F&M overpowered the Garnet with 41 shots, of which 31 were on target.

The Garnet’s second goal came in the second quarter, after Cam Marsh ’18 scored on an assist from Andrew Preiser ’15. Matt Johnson ’18 added two goals in the second half. Hagedorn’s third goal came with less than a second left in the match, earning him a hat trick that was a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing result for the Garnet.

Currently, the team’s record stands at 6-5 overall and 1-4 against Centennial Conference opponents. The team’s next game will be on Saturday at Dickinson, followed by a home game against Washington College on Wednesday at 7 p.m.