The Swatter: October 13-20

Investigation Person(s)

Date: Monday, October 13
Time: 2:09pm Location: Hicks Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety received a report from a faculty member regarding a potential trespassing issue on campus. The matter is under investigation.
Status: Open

Fire Alarm

Date: Monday, October 13
Time: 3:08pm Location: Parrish Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety and Facilities responded to a fire alarm with Parrish Hall. Upon arrival, there was no sign of smoke or fire. It was determined that the alarm was activated due to steam from a tea pot.
Status: Closed

Fire Alarm

Date: Wednesday, October 15
Time: 6:52pm Location: Worth Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Worth Residence Hall for the report of a fire alarm. Upon arrival the area was checked and there was no sign of smoke or fire. The cause of the alarm is unknown and information was forwarded to Facilities to identify the trouble.
Status: Inactive

Investigation

Date: Thursday, October 16
Time: 1:07am Location: Science Center
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to the Science Center for the report from EVS about an alarm sounding. Upon arrival is was determined to be a low oxygen monitor. The area was vented. Facilities was notified.
Status: Closed

Suspicious Odor

Date: Thursday, October 16
Time: 12:50am
Location: Mertz Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Mertz Residence Hall for the report of a burning odor. Upon arrival, it was determined the smell was due to cooking.
Status: Closed

Burglary/Forcible Entry

Date: Thursday, October 16
Time: 3:55pm
Location: 300 Avondale Road
Synopsis: Public Safety and Nether Providence Police responded to an off-campus College property for the report of a burglary. The matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Disorderly Conduct, Harassment, Indecent Assault

Date: Friday, October 17
Time: 2:48am Location: Willets Residence Hall
Synopsis: A Swarthmore resident student reported a nude male in the women’s restroom in the basement of Willets dorm. Male was identified and was the guest of another Swarthmore resident student. Swarthmore Police Department also responded. Matter under investigation
Status: Cleared/Arrest

Fire Alarm

Date: Friday, October 17
Time: 12:08pm
Location: Mertz Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a fire alarm within Mertz Residence Hall. Upon arrival, there was no sign of smoke or fire. It was determined that the alarm was activated due to cooking.
Status: Inactive

Controlled Substance/Marijuana Possession

Date: Friday, October 17
Time: 2:48am
Location: Willets Residence Hall
Synopsis: Pursuant to a report of an indecent assault, Public Safety officers and Swarthmore Police Department learned that a Swarthmore resident student had illegal substances and paraphernalia in their residence hall room. Dean on-call notified and matter under investigation.
Status: Clear/Arrest

Noise Complaint

Date: Friday, October 17
Time: 8:58pm
Location: Worth Residence Hall Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Worth Residence Hall for the report of loud music coming from one of the residence rooms. Upon arrival, the Swarthmore student residing in the room was advised to turn down the music.
Status: Closed

Investigations Person(s)

Date: Friday, October 17
Time: 1:13pm
Location: Pearson Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety received a report from a staff member regarding an unknown  individual looking into her vehicle after she parked in a parking space on Whittier Circle at the rear of Pearson Hall. Public Safety responded and checked the area with negative results.
Status: Closed

Fire Alarm

Date: Saturday, October 18
Time: 8:18am
Location: Matchbox Fitness Center
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a fire alarm within the Matchbox Fitness Center. Upon arrival, EVS was on location. There was no sign of smoke or fire. It was determined that a staff member from EVS accidentally activated a pull station while cleaning. Facilities was notified.
Status: Closed

Fire Alarm
Date: Saturday, October 18
Time: 10:57am
Location: Matchbox Fitness Center
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a fire alarm within the Matchbox Fitness Center. Upon arrival, EVS was on location. There was no sign of smoke or fire. It was determined that a staff member from EVS accidentally activated a pull station while cleaning. Facilities was notified.
Status: Closed

Noise Complaint

Date: Saturday, October 18
Time: 9:24pm
Location: Wharton Drive, Near Tennis Courts
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a noise complaint in the area of the tennis courts near Wharton Residence Hall. Upon arrival, several Swarthmore students were gathered around a man-made firepit making s’mores. The fire was extinguished and the students left without incident.
Status: Closed

Criminal Mischief

Date: Monday, October 20
Time: 6:44am
Location: Worth Residence Hall Synopsis: Public Safety received a report from the EVS supervisor regarding a broken window within the lounge area of Worth Residence Hall. Facilities was notified.
Status: Open

Allison Hrabar

Allison is double major in Political Science (Honors) and Film and Media Studies. When not working for The Daily Gazette, she cajoles people into watching the The Americans (Wednesdays at 10:00p.m. on FX).