Sports Roundup: August 30-September 3

Men’s Soccer

8/30/14 vs. Penn State Abington—W 1-0

Sophomore Ryan Meuth found the back of the net for the first time of his career as the Swarthmore College men’s soccer team won its season opener by a 1-0 score over Penn State Abington on Saturday, Aug. 30 at Clothier Field.

The Garnet controlled possesion for most of the match and had several scoring chances throughout regulation. After a few missed opportunities, the Garnet got the only scoring they needed when Meuth capitalized on a penalty kick that beat senior goalkeeper Dan Saint-Pol to the right side of the net in the 20th minute.

The hosts had a 10-8 edge in total shots and corner kicks were even at one apiece. Junior Tyler Zon earned his first career shutout by recording two saves on as many chances. Saint-Pol, a senior, suffered the setback by making four saves in the losing effort.

8/31/14 vs. Berkeley—W 3-0

Sophomore Billy Evers scored twice and Michael Swantek netted an insurance tally in the waning seconds of the first half to lift the Swarthmore College men’s soccer team to a 3-0 win over Berkeley on Sunday, Aug. 31 at Clothier Field. The match was delayed and then eventually called in the 71st minute due to lightning and thunderstorms that hit the area.

Evers started the scoring barrage by converting a penalty kick against goalkeeper Jonathan Pena-Ortiz in the 19th minute. The sophomore then doubled the Garnet advantage in the 32nd minute when he took a short pass from senior Geoff Stewart, who was working from the left side, and unleashed a rocket that beat Pena-Ortiz to the far post.

The Garnet were able to add one more goal before the break in thrilling fashion. Beginning from just outside the box in Swarthmore’s defensive end, freshman Rodrigo Hernandez sailed a pass to a sprinting Michael Swantek. The sophomore then went on a breakaway against the Knight keeper and fired the ball into the net with just 4.4 seconds remaining in the half.

Swarthmore, which held a commanding 21-2 advantage in total shots, continued to dominate a very physical second half. Senior Michael Stewart nearly padded the Garnet lead in the 69th minute when he shot the ball towards an open net, but a Knight defender dived and blocked the ball to keep the deficit at three goals.

With 19:50 remaining in regulation, the teams cleared the field due to lightning in the area before the match was called about 50 minutes later.

Junior goalkeeper Tyler Zon picked up his second career shutout in as many outings for Swarthmore by making one save. Pena-Ortiz of Berkeley suffered the loss after redirecting five shots.

Women’s Soccer

8/30/14 vs. Widener—W 1-0

Sophomore Mele Johnson scored her fourth career goal in the waning minutes to propel the Swarthmore College women’s soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Widener on Saturday, Aug. 30 at Clothier Field.

Swarthmore (1-0) dominated the match from start to finish, outshooting the Pride by a count of 10-1 in the first half and 22-1 in the match. Melissa Trofa factored into back-to-back opportunities in the beginning of the second half, but opposing goalkeeper Olivia Pfautz turned away a hard shot from sophomore Hannah Lichtenstein in the 50th minute and another attempt from Trofa shortly afterwards to keep the match scoreless.

With time winding down and the Garnet continuing to send a barrage of shots towards the net, Johnson won an open ball against Pfautz and scored on an empty net in the 87th minute to give the Garnet all the scoring they would need. The back line being anchored by sophomore Katherine Zavez, senior Ellen Bachmannhuff, classmate Elyse Tierney and junior Amanda Bosworth continued its streak of not allowing the Pride to attempt a shot for more than 60 consecutive minutes, which helped the Garnet to escape with the victory.

Juniors Reba Magier and Caela Long combined for the shutout for Swarthmore, which also held a commanding advantage of 14-1 on corner kicks. Long was credited with the victory between the pipes, while Pfautz of Widener (0-1) suffered the loss despite making six saves.

8/31/14 vs. Wellesley—W 2-0

Sophomores Rebecca Mayeda and Hannah Lichtenstein each scored second-half goals to lead the Swarthmore College women’s soccer team to a 2-0 victory over Wellesley College on Sunday, Aug. 31 at Clothier Field.

After a scoreless first half, the Garnet found the back of the net twice in the 73rd minute. Freshman Katie Dougherty chipped a pass to Mayeda, who beat the unguarded Wellesley goalkeeper with a shot from the top of the box. Just 23 seconds later, Lichtenstein scored her first career goal and provided insurance by finishing a pass from freshman Sarah Hancock

For the second consecutive match, juniors Reba Magier and Caela Long combined for the shutout between the pipes. Magier made one save in the first half before Long turned away four shots in the second for the Garnet. Claire Cerda of Wellesley (1-1) stopped nine of the shots she faced.

Field Hockey

8/30/14 vs. Arcadia—L 0-2

Despite getting a 13-save effort from junior goalkeeeper Ainsley Parrish, the Swarthmore College field hockey team fell in its season opener to Arcadia by a 2-0 decision on Saturday, Aug. 30 at Clothier Field.

Arcadia (1-1) dominated the start of play, but Parrish came up big for the Garnet by making two of her five saves of the opening half in the first six minutes of action. Swarthmore started to gain momentum and had its best opportunity to score on a penalty corner in the 25th minute. However, junior Julia Thomas had her hard shot from the top of the arc turned away by sophomore goalkeeper Mia De Plato.

The Knights finally broke through in the 57th minute when senior defender Katrina Dull found the back of the cage by finishing a pass from junior Taylor Dalisera that was sent in from the top of the arc. Freshman Amanda Hess then provided insurance by doubling the visitor’s lead by winning the ball through a scrum of players from both sides with under six minutes left in regulation time.

Parrish made 13 saves, which was one shy of matching her career high, for Swarthmore in the setback. Arcadia’s De Plato made two stops to record the victory.

8/31/14 vs. Lynchburg—L 1-4

Despite getting a career performance from junior goalkeeper Ainsley Parrish, the Swarthmore College field hockey team fell to #19-ranked Lynchburg by a 4-1 score on Sunday, Aug. 31 at Clothier Field.

Lynchburg (1-1), a 2013 NCAA Tournament participant, scored three goals in the first half and never looked back. Kelsey Link, Danielle Kreider and Courtney Gillette each scored in the frame to give the Hornets a commanding lead at the break.

Swarthmore (0-2), however, attempted to rally and got on the scoreboard when sophomore Ursula Monaghan tipped and redirected a strike by classmate Katherine Ianni from the top of the arc. Ianni was credited with an assist on the play that occurred in the 57th minute before the Hornets added another tally shortly afterwards to produce the final outcome.

Parrish, who turned away 13 shots in yesterday’s season opener, set a career high with 18 saves in the contest. Her previous best of 14 was recorded against Washington College on Oct. 2, 2013. Lynchburg’s Beka Hess was credited with the win after making five saves.

9/4/14 vs. Richard Stockton—L 3-6

Junior Erin Gluck recorded a natural hat trick, but the Swarthmore College field hockey team was dealt a 6-3 loss against Richard Stockton on Thursday, Sept. 4 at the Stockton Turf Field.

Swarthmore faced a three-goal deficit at the break and a four-goal margin early in the second half before attempting a furious rally. Gluck, the Garnet’s top returning scorer from last season, completed a natural hat trick by scoring three times in a span of just four minutes. The junior finished passes from freshmen Shivani Chinnappan and Clare Perez while also recording an unassisted marker to make it 4-3 in the 47th minute.

Richard Stockton (2-0), however, recovered late in the second half and scored two more times to pull away. Lindsey Treptow and Samantha Barcia each found the back of the cage in the 51st and 60th minutes to seal the final outcome.

Senior Liz Stankiewicz of Richard Stockton picked up the shutout victory in the cage by making four saves. Swarthmore junior Ainsley Parrish turned away 13 shots in the setback.

Highlights taken from press releases sent to the Editorial Board and swarthmoreathletics.com 

Sona Kumar

Sona is a junior from Charlotte, North Carolina. She majors in Psychology, which according to her brother she talks about too much and for too long. In her free time, she enjoys playing ultimate frisbee and reading longform pieces on almost any subject. When she’s at home, she likes to catch up on reality TV and play with her cat, Max (you will definitely not regret asking her to see pictures of him!).