/

141 students admitted under Early Decision I

Following issues with the Common Application website, including not allowing students to log onto the website and not marking completed tasks as finished, the college extended the application deadlines for Regular Decision and Winter Early Decision from January 1 to January 15.

Swarthmore is part of a group of over 30 colleges, including Amherst College, Brown University and the University of Chicago, that have extended deadlines due to malfunctions with the Common Application, The malfunctions began over the summer after the Common Application updated to the Fourth Generation, which completely eliminates the option of students doing the application in print.

“The admissions office is carefully monitoring the challenges that high school seniors and school counselors are facing with the common application and supporting credential submissions,” wrote the Admissions Office on its website. “We understand their frustration and anxiety, and we stand ready to work with all prospective applicants, their families, and counselors should anyone be experiencing difficulties.”

Despite the problems with the Common Application, the Early Decision I applications have been processed, with 141 students out of 349 applicants to matriculate to the college in the fall. These students will make up 35 percent of the Class of 2018.

Currently, the Class of 2018 is 46 percent female and 54 percent male. In addition, they come from 25 different states, 7 percent are international students, and 12 percent are first-generation college students.