Golf Finishes Last Swarthmore Invitational, Baseball Suffers Non-Conference Loss

Golf

Jeff Wall ’14 finished the final Swarthmore Invitational of the season at the Rolling Green Golf Club with a final score of 81, taking the individual title on Monday afternoon. Jake Carter ’13 and Kyle Krainock ’13 followed closely behind Wall, with scores of 82.

On the women’s side, Amanda Beebe ’15 fell short of the first place title, ending the afternoon behind Neumann’s Lauren Cusack with a score of 85.

The Garnet will travel to the Blue Ridge Country Club for the Messiah College Invitational this afternoon. Starting Friday, April 26, the Garnet will return for the Centennial Conference Championship.

Baseball

On Monday evening, the Swarthmore Baseball team (20-14, 8-6) was handed a 7-3 loss by Rutgers-Camden.

Despite jumping out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning with a double from Nicko Burnett ‘14, the Scarlet Raptors countered with three runs of their own in the third and fourth innings to pull ahead 3-1. The Garnet pushed to close the gap in the top of the fifth inning with a single from Brian Kaissi ‘15, but the Scarlet Raptors answered in the bottom of the inning with a run of their own. Two more runs from the sixth inning and one in the seventh sealed the Scarlet Raptors’ victory, despite a final push from the Garnet in the top of the seventh inning with a double from Jack Harnett ‘16.

Notable players: Sean Bryant ’13 and Brian Kaissi ’15 led the Garnet offense with two hits and a stolen base each.

After a break from Centennial Conference competition, the Garnet will travel to Ursinus this afternoon to resume Conference play. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.