Weekend Recap

Track & Field

On Friday, the Swarthmore men’s track and field team finished the second day of competition at the Danny Curran Invitational hosted by Widener University. Jason Heo ’15 took sixth place at the 110 meter hurdles with a season-best 16.97 time.

The Swarthmore women’s track and field finished strong on Friday as well, with four top-15 finishes in the 800 meter race by Rebecca Hammond ’13, Katie McMenamin ’16, Sarah Nielson ’16, and Liz Tawa ’15. In addition, Osazenoriuwa Ebose ’15 took third place for the shot put and the Garnet’s 4×400 meter relay team took third place overall.

The Garnet will travel next to Princeton, for Distance Night, on Thursday, April 4.

Women’s Tennis

Against No. 26 Mary Washington on Friday afternoon, the Swarthmore women’s tennis team was handed their first 0-9 loss, bringing their record to 4-2, 2-0. The Eagles were dominant throughout every match, sweeping doubles and not allowing a single set in singles.

The Garnet resume conference play at Washington College next, on Wednesday. The game is set to start at 3:30 p.m.

Golf 

The Swarthmore golf team finished in eighth place on Sunday afternoon at the McDaniel Spring Invitational. Andrew Park ’15 took sixth place overall, with a second-round score of 75 and a two-day total of 153. Park’s 75 was second overall for the day. Amanda Beebe ’15 finished the second day with a score of 90, and a two-day total of 179, to take tenth place overall for the women’s team.

The Garnet return to action this Sunday and Monday at the Hershey Country Club for the Hershey Cup.

Softball

On Saturday afternoon, the Swarthmore softball team suffered a double loss to Gettysburg, bringing their record to 11-7, 0-4. The Garnet dropped the first game 0-2, and the second 2-5.

The first game remained scoreless for the first four innings, until the Bullets scored their first run in the bottom of the fifth inning off of a two-out single. From there, they added an additional run in the top of the seventh inning to close out the game.

The second game proved to be closer, with the score tied at 2-2 by the bottom of the second inning. After the Bullets pulled ahead to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning, the Garnet answered in the next inning with a single from Clara Obstfeld ’16 and capitalized off a Gettysburg outfielder error to even the score. However, the Bullets were quick to respond, scoring two more runs in the third inning, and one final run in the seventh to finish the game.

The Garnet will host defending Centennial Conference champion McDaniel this afternoon. Play is slated to begin at 3 p.m. at Clothier Field.

Men’s Tennis 

No. 8 Johns Hopkins on Saturday afternoon dealt a 7-2 loss to the Swarthmore men’s tennis team. Their record now stands at 4-6, 1-1.

Despite stellar wins by Max Kaye ’14 and Max Sacks ’15 at No. 1 doubles, and James Wieler ’13 at No. 6 singles, the Jays still emerged victorious, having swept No. 2 and 3 doubles with a score of 8-1 for both matches, and winning the first five singles matches.

The Garnet resume conference play at Muhlenberg this afternoon. Play is set to begin at 5 p.m.

Baseball

Opening Centennial Conference play on Saturday afternoon with a double-header against Dickinson, the Swarthmore baseball team swept the Red Devils 5-1 and 13-4 to boost their record to 13-6, 2-0. With these two wins, the Garnet have now extended their winning streak to five games.

Down 1-0 in the fourth inning of the first game, a two-run single by Danny McMahon ’15 pulled the Garnet up to take the 3-1 lead. McMahon added an additional run in the seventh inning, and Tim Kwilos ’13 added yet one more run in the eighth inning to finish the game. Luke Alventosa ’15 pitched a strong seven innings, allowing only one unearned run.

In a similar situation in the second game, the Garnet found themselves trailing 2-0 in the third inning. However, an RBI double from Kwilos got the Garnet on the board, and a two-base hit from Nick Constantino ’14 in the bottom of the fourth inning helped the team pull ahead to 4-2. The Garnet continued to build upon their lead, with two runs in the fifth and sixth, and five runs in the eighth with contributions from Rory McTear ’13, Sean Bryant ’13, and Constantino. Oscar Leong ’16 pitched five effective innings, allowing two runs and striking out five.

The Garnet will resume Centennial Conference action, as they look to take on Haverford this afternoon. The game is slated to start at 3:30 p.m.