Goodwill offers shoppers more than just affordability

Courtesy of networksolutions.com.

There are some days when you’re just broke and want to give yourself a quick pick-me-up after spending three days locked in McCabe writing a paper, studying for a test or even procrastinating on Facebook for three hours straight. You feel as if you should get back in touch with the real world, and what better way to escape all the hard work than with new clothing? This, my beloved Swatties, is the perfect time to go to your local Goodwill. Not only will you feel better getting new merchandise, but you can also help others by shopping here!

Goodwill
Swarthmorewood Shopping Center
725 S. Chester Road
(610) 543-4399

Goodwill is part of a non-profit 501©(3) organization which provides the community with vocational training such as employment opportunities. This location sells almost anything from women’s, men’s and children’s clothing to bedding and furniture as well as random vintage finds like records!

RATING: 4.5 out of 5 stars

The best thing about Goodwill is that you can spend $30 and leave with a huge bag filled with merchandise. Also, both the women’s and men’s section, in addition to the donations that Goodwill as an organization gathers, are stocked with new clothing with tags still attached from brands like Missoni. Not everything is second-hand.

My favorite thing to shop for in Goodwill are items that are bold, yet trendy. These are usually items that you will not wear as frequently and often do not want to splurge on them. That way, it isn’t so difficult buying something you know you’ll wear just a few times, like a lime top or a hot pink skirt.

This is also a great place to shop for clothing for theme parties. It’s not uncommon to see Swatties at Goodwill the day before or the day of well-attended events like the Halloween party or Genderfuck.

Over my past few trips, I have bought lightly used items from DKNY, Express and Calvin Klein from here. It is more rare to find name brand items in thrift stores, which take all donations as opposed to selecting items based on whether or not they would sell to customers.

The skirts racks is my favorite of the women’s section because the prints are not like those you can currently find in stores. Additionally, some other great finds include oddly washed and colored jeans, which if you are up for a DIY project, can easily turn into shorts. (Look up videos on YouTube for great tutorials like those from ILYJESSICAOMG.)

The handbags and accessories section at Goodwill is good depending on your trip. Sometimes you can find belts and bags in mint condition, but other times you are just not as lucky.

The men’s section has an impressively large selection of basic graphic tees. Some graphic tees you can find here are perfect for cutting up or shredding, if you ever feel like you want to feel like Adam Saacks, the Ed Hardy t-shirt cutter (You can also check YouTube for help on this. Try salinabear!) I have also spotted great men’s buttondowns from various brands, and even seen a few from Ralph Lauren.

For both men and women, the shoe selection includes medium to frequently used shoes which can be great buys. However, the way the shoes are spread out throughout the store on top of clothing racks makes it incredibly difficult to find your size.

Goodwill is not a place to frequently visit because, simply put, the merchandise does not change all too often. If you pay this store a visit every week, you will recognize some of the same items from your last trip.

Additionally, since this thrift store does accept all donations, the quality of some of the clothing can be poor. Some items in the store feel rough, look worn out or have faded colors. At times, cuts on jeans and pants are outdated. Moreover, some merchandise targets an older age group and has less than desirable prints and designs.

I would also never recommend buying furniture or bedding at Goodwill, or in any thrift or consignment store. Here is the caveat: a little something called bed bugs. I kid you not. On behalf of all of the campus community, please do your best to not bring those horrid critters back home with you.

Anyhow, that’s all for this time! Please pay this place a visit, my lovely shoppers, and remember, go big or go home!

[googlemap width=”620″ height=”480″ src=”https://maps.google.com/maps?q=725+South+Chester+Road,+Swarthmore,+PA+(610)+543-4399&hl=en&ll=39.890443,-75.352478&spn=0.019197,0.036993&sll=39.953438,-75.343552&sspn=0.306866,0.591888&hq=(610)+543-4399&hnear=725+S+Chester+Rd,+Swarthmore,+Pennsylvania+19081&t=m&z=15&iwloc=A”]

Dying for me to visit a store before you give it a try yourself? Need me to go on a hunt for a store with a particular style of merchandise? Shoot your suggestions via email.

Gabriela is a first-year. You can reach her at gcampov1@swarthmore.edu.