Aaaand We’re Back (Or, What You Missed During the Break)

Photo courtesy of EAWB.

Celebrated clothing designer Joseph Altuzarra ’05 talks to Elle about his Fall collection. Swattie makes “True Blood” her beat at The Atlantic. Recent Swat grad participates in ancient “Sacred Harp” a cappella in Philadelphia. Swarthmore, Abu Dhabi?: US Ambassador-Designate to the UAE and Swarthmore grad Michael Corbin confirmed to post by the Senate June 30th, sworn in July 25th. 95-year old Swattie, former Truman aide, West Virginia 18-term Congressman and Secretary of State writes book about his efforts to pass 1969 Coal Mine Health and Safety Act after 1968 Farmington mine disaster.

Professor of Studio Art Cyd Carpenter talks about the relationship between her garden and her art, as featured in the“Garden as Muse” exhibition at the Walton Arts Center, AK. Barry Schwartz explains why there are no free Slurpees, even when you are at a 7-11 on 7/11. Math professor Stephen Maurer thinks it’s hard to write about math. Political Science Assistant Professor Ben Berger writes for right-wing flagship The National Review about how the boob tube and YouTube turn democracy into a “technology of freedom.” Berger’s book  Attention Deficit Democracy forthcoming in September. Political Science Assistant Professor Dominic Tierney breaks down Captain America: The First Avenger for The Atlantic. Professor John Caskey explains why bad times for the economy means good times for pawn shops. Part-time visiting professor Quinn Bauriedel launches two-year postgraduate theater school in Philadelphia. Professor Emeritus Judith Voet (and husband Donald Voet) awarded the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology’s Award for Exemplary Contributions to Education.

Swarthmore townies debates putting a sidewalk on Chestnut Ave. (off College Ave. near Swarthmore-Rutledge School). Who knew the Arboretum had a Woody Plant Conference? Water-systems consolidation company founded by Swat profs 125 years ago starts fracking in PA. Thousands of fish killed in Ridley Park Lake, Crum Creek, and Darby Creek, caused by fertilizer runoff, loss of trees eroding landscapes. One-year anniversary of State of Emergency in Chester. Pennsylvania to legalize medical marijuana? Swarthmore Pizza fills with smoke and gets help from Springfield, Swarthmore, Media, and Ridley fire companies after brick oven snafoo.

New CNN chief product of Swarthmore’s “Quaker Matchbox.” Pakistani Supreme Court advocate thinks Swarthmore’s Solomon Asch experiments provide hope for a permanent free press in Pakistan. GINet tried to hire surveillance drones to fly over Darfur in 2005, but they got priced out.

Sahiba Gill

1. Glad you guys are back, thanks for the summer recap and congratulations on the launch of the new site!

One question though: isn’t the header a little big? I feel like all that bold is screaming at me from the top of the page 🙂 Also it’s kinda nice to see more of the actual article without having to scroll. I do like the big chair logo though.

2. I agree with Nick here–overall site looks good, faster response time than the Django site, but a big header.

Maybe add some more line spacing too? The article text feels a bit jammed together.

3. For those of you who may be intrigued by this “Sacred Harp” singing, we’ll be meeting in Bond from 7-9pm on Sunday, September 4th.