Financial Policy Representative: Kevin Kim ’11

Dear Fellow Students:

My name is Kevin Kim and I am running to be your next financial policy representative. In this time of further uncertainty, where sacrifices have been made by each and every one of us, I believe in our
student body’s ability to formulate creative and efficient ideas on how to spend our money. The security of our institution and its mission to provide for all those you qualify a liberal arts education that is second to none depends on it.

As a member of the Student Financial Advisory Panel (SFAP) and as a student advisor to Dean of
Admissions and Financial Aid, I sat in on countless meetings with the administration to analyze (and
reanalyze) the numbers regarding the college’s finances. Though we may be in a better position than
many of our peer institutions, I know that the cuts that have been made and the changes that have been instituted have real effects for each and every one of us. Cuts in student events and services, as well as in hiring of professors all translate into sacrifices that are tangible. I know of the hardships of finding a summer job that can adequately fill the gap between our financial aid and the growing cost of tuition. I know of the difficulty of having to choose between giving more of our time to the cause that we find important versus giving our time to getting a paycheck to pay for our books. I know because I have been in that position many times myself as a student on financial aid. And as your financial policy representative I will work hard to protecting our interests in financial aid, as well as closely monitoring the cuts made to other services and events that are most important to us.

With more than 6.9 million dollars in cuts approved for the years the come, this is now the time to
shape the future of Swarthmore for us and for generations to come. I believe that with your help I can
help manage the finances of our institution in these turbulent years to come. I will work hard to
maintain our school’s rigorous academic principles, unwavering commitment to financial aid, and to
fight for those events and traditions that are most dear to us.

– Kevin Kim
Class of 2011