Sports Update 3/15

Scoreboard
Men’s Lacrosse Swarthmore 13, New England 4
Women’s Lacrosse Swarthmore 13, Gwynedd-Mercy 12
Softball Swarthmore 3, Wilson 0
Salisbury 7, Swarthmore 0
Women’s Tennis Swarthmore 7, Gettysburg 2
Swimming at NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships

SWIMMING: Miller, Lewis Set Records with All-America Performance
Swarthmore sophomore Anne Miller and senior Jennie Lewis broke College and Centennial Conference records, and earned All-America status at the 2008 NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships this weekend at the Corwin Nixon Aquatic Center on the campus of Miami (OH) University. Miller repeats as first-team All-America in the 200 butterfly and joins Lewis in earning All-America honorable mention in the 100 butterfly.

MEN’S LACROSSE: Swarthmore Wins Fourth in A Row
The Garnet men’s lacrosse team (4-0) used six points from sophomore Gavin Musynske and classmate Anthony Phalen’s first career hat-trick to roll to a 13-4 win over New England on the final day of spring break.

WOMEN’S LACROSSE: Garnet Win Big With Lucky 13
Swarthmore (2-2) used a last-minute goal to win, 13-12, over Gwynedd-Mercy (0-3) in the 2008 Women’s Lacrosse Tri-Co Invitational Saturday afternoon. Freshman Amy Vachal tallied a game-high four goals while Anna de Regt ’09 and Emily Evans ’11 added hat-tricks.

SOFTBALL: Zelaski Puts Up Donut, Garnet Split at Shore
Garnet junior pitcher Alexandra Zelaski tossed a two-hitter while freshman Melissa Emmerson and Maggie Vizcarra combined for three RBIs as Swarthmore defeated Wilson 3-0 in the opening round of the 2008 Sea Gull Tournament hosted by Salisbury College Saturday afternoon. The Garnet (3-5) fell to Salisbury 7-0 in the second game, as the host Sea Gulls (8-5) benefited from a six-run second inning.

WOMEN’S TENNIS: Garnet Shield Bullets
The Swarthmore (2-1, 2-0 CC) won 7-2 against Gettysburg (4-2, 0-1 CC) in Centennial Conference women’s tennis action on Saturday afternoon. Rachel Wallwork ’10, Jamie Midyette ’08 and Alexis Hickman ’11 each picked up wins in singles’ and doubles’ action.