Weekend Roundup: Last week of classes…

Last week of classes. Yes, that does mean we are drawing close to exams… and, yes, the end of the semester is a bittersweet parting. That said, we’re not there yet. Since there’s still a little time left to procrastinate and more than enough ways to do so, take advantage of it!

Don’t miss this weekend’s orchestra concert, Saturday at 8, which is bound to be a hell of a good time. If you do miss it, however, you might find yourself in good company by attending “Fools” the Neil Simon Comedy running in Upper Tarble at 4 and 7 pm, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Finally, tonight and tomorrow on LPAC mainstage, the Spring Student Dance Concert will be performed, including work by students and teachers in ballet, flamenco, kathak, taiko, and a piece choreagraphed by Visiting Professor Nii Yartey. Running concurrently in LPAC lobby, the visual art of Fayza Nabeel Eassa and Mark Nii Hylton, concerned with topics such as dance and multiculturalism, will be exhibited.

If the play’s the thing, consider some of the following: “Othello” is being performed as part of the Shakespeare Festival this weekend while Temple’s “One Act Play Festival” is running at the Randall Theater. Brecht’s “The Life of Galileo,” having met with strong reviews, is also an option, running at the Wilma Theater. Finally, Swarthmore alums Felicia Leicht ’04, Adrienne Mackey ’04, and Audrey Pernell ’04 will be performing in the tale of friends and racial divide in Philadelphia, “Recitatif,” playing at the CEC Meetinghouse Theater in University City.

Other flights of fancy: the Painted Bride Art Center on Vine Street and see “Butterfly Dreams” a puppet show retelling the Taoist tale of a man who dreams himself as a butterfly who wonders if he is in fact a butterfly dreaming himself as a man. The Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey are at the Wachovia Center; the Philadelphia Orchestra is performing Berlioz’s “Symphonie Fantastique” at the Kimmel Center; and tonight those interested can wander through the Morgan Building to take a look at Penn’s MFA students’ free open studios.