Friday, December 3, 2004

The Daily Gazette
Swarthmore College
Friday, December 3, 2004
Volume 9, Number 63

Interested in writing for Swat’s only daily newspaper? Join the Daily Gazette! Email the staff
at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu for more information and come to one of our Thursday meetings
to try it out. Write as much or as little as your time and inclination allow.

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Van drivers incur more than $9000 in damages this semester

2) Weekend roundup

3) World news roundup

4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Upcoming contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. High of 48.
A couple of nights ago I faced a situation not seen before during my time at Swat.

Tonight: Clear. High of 38.
I just simply could not fall asleep.

Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. High of 46.
My friends postulated that this was because I was too stressed out.

Sunday: Partly cloudy. High of 53.
But really I think it was God’s evil way of getting back at me for sleeping during class.

SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: BBQ chicken sandwich, cottage fries, ratatouille, broccoli mushroom casserole, fajita bar, brownies

Dinner: Meat lasagna, breadsticks, vegetarian lasagna, curry green beans and sietan, carrot cake

Saturday lunch: Oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, home fries, sweet and sour tofu, macaroni and cheese, patty bar, cookie bars

Saturday dinner: Homestyle chicken pot pie, buttermilk biscuits, hoisin tempeh, rice casserole, appetizer bar, pound cake

Sunday brunch: Eggs, bacon or sausage, home fries, cous cous with roasted vegetables, chicken noodle casserole, blintz and french toast bar, shortbread bars

Sunday dinner: Yankee pot roast, mashed potatoes, tofu stir fry, pasta primavera, pasta bar, devil’s food cake

*****

NEWS REPORT

by Victoria Swisher, Living and Arts Editor
additional reporting by Ken Patton, Gazette Reporter

Despite efforts to minimize the number of accidents that occur through a new van certification process implemented last semester, Swarthmore College van drivers continue to incur thousands of dollars in damage and cause inconveniences to the student body.

In addition to costly accidents, the community can temporarily lose the use of one of its three vans even when they suffer no physical harm. Earlier this semester one van was out of commission after it was left in Washington, D.C. during a trip. The student driver for the trip, organized by Professor Hopkins, felt that driving back to Swat would be too dangerous due to the high wind. Jim McKenna, manager of the motor pool for Facilities, commented, “[t]he vans can be very tough to drive, for someone not used to driving them in the wind.” The stranded van in Washington, D.C. required a tow truck to return it to campus. Originally, Facilities paid for the towing of the van, but the Center for Social Policy Studies later reimbursed Facilities. Just before Thanksgiving Break, this very same van, used as an airport shuttle, was totaled in an accident that resulted in no injuries.

While Swarthmore College vans suffer thousands of dollars in damage every semester, insurance claims have decreased since the change in driver certification was implemented from $34,619 between July 2002 and July 2003 to $18,519 between July 2003 and July 2004. There have been four accidents this semester, the same number as last semester, incurring at least $9235 in damages; however, the current figure for damages does not include the accident that totaled a van over Thanksgiving Break. Most of the money that is needed to cover these accidents is covered by insurance, but the college is still required to pay a deductible that normally comes out of the pockets of the departments and students that rent the vans.

Despite continuing accidents, Owen Redgrave, Director of Public Safety, is satisfied with the current van certification procedure, “My sense is that the program is basically sound and accomplishing its original intent – that is, to provide more practice time behind the wheel for new drivers and to assure that drivers are able to safely operate the vehicles.”

Jonathan Ference ’07, who served as Student Council van coordinator for the fall semester, is resigning because the demands of the job are too high. “I was constantly losing sleep because students would wake me up at 5:15 a.m. wondering where their van form had gotten to. On one notable incident, a student barged into my room at 7:00 a.m. looking for a van….My roommates stopped liking me so much after that,” Ference remarked.

Ference will be van certification tester next semester, a positioned hired by Public Safety. According to Redgrave, Public Safety was looking “for an individual with the interest and/or experience in driver training” for the position of van certification tester.
———-
Jonathan Ference also serves as the News Editor for the Daily Gazette.

*****

2) Weekend roundup

by Victoria Swisher
Living and Arts Editor

Under normal conditions, I would be recommending that you all get off campus to do some exploring in Philadelphia. This weekend is not an ordinary weekend. There are many end of year performances this weekend, and you really shouldn’t miss out on this display of talent from the student body.

Beginning tonight, you can see the Senior Company’s performance of “Autumn, Summer, Winter, Winter” in the Frear Ensemble theater. You definitely don’t want to miss the performance of a Beethoven opera by the College Orchestra and Choir on Saturday. Sunday, you can watch the Gamelan, Dance, and Drumming concert in the early afternoon and appreciate the Fetter Chamber Music Ensemble later that evening.

Don’t miss these on-campus performances!

*****

3) World news roundup

* Thursday was a busy day of coming and goings in the Bush administration, as various cabinet-level officials announced their resignation and the president appointed others to take their place. Senior administration officials indicated that the President would appoint former Police Commissioner, Bernard B. Kerik to be the next head of the Department of Homeland Security. Kerik would replace former Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge, who had served as head of the new department since its creation after the September 11th attacks. Other administration changes included the nomination of Mike Johanns, the governor of Nebraska, to replace Ann M. Veneman as Agriculture secretary, and the replacement of Tommy G. Thompson by Mark McClellan as secretary of Health and Human Services.

* Senator Jon Corzine (D-NJ), announced that he would run for governor of New Jersey in 2005. The election comes in the wake of former Governor James McGreevy’s resignation after he admitted to an extramarital affair amid charges of corruption. Senator Corzine, who contributed $63 million of his own money to win his Senate seat in 2000 and who is a major fundraiser for Democrats all over the country, is considered to be the front-runner in the race. But acting Governor Richard Codey (D) has not yet announced whether he will run. In announcing his candidacy, Mr. Corzine said “As governor, I hope to make New Jersey one of the best places to live, to work, to go to school, to start a business and to grow old with dignity. To set a new standard of excellence.”

* Vice President Dick Cheney announced on Thursday that he would travel to Afghanistan to attend the December 7th inauguration of Afghan president Hamid Karzai. Cheney will lead an American delegation of officials, including Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. The delegation is expected to hold talks with Karzai during the visit on a wide range of issues, including “the continued progress of the Afghan people in building a free society,” according to the White House.

* It was announced on Thursday that the Pentagon will extend the deployment of 10,300 soldiers and Marines, as well as send an extra 1500 soldiers from the US, in order to oversee the Iraqi elections. The elections are currently set for January 30th. The rise in troop levels marks the largest number of troops in the region since combat operations ended in May 2003.

*****

4) Campus events

Friday:

Meaning of Kwanzaa lunch
Black Cultural Center, 12:15

Film Showing: The Miami Model
Science Center 199, 7:00 p.m.

Film Showing: Collateral
LPAC Cinema, 7:30 & 10:00 p.m.

Fall Student Dance Concert
LPAC Mainstage, 8:00 p.m.

Senior Company: “Autumn, Summer, Winter, Winter”
LPAC Frear Ensemble Theatre, 8:00 p.m.

Anime/Manga Club Movie Screening: Tokyo Godfathers
Kohlberg 228, 8:00 p.m.

Vertigo-go Final Show
Science Center 101, 10:00 p.m.

Red Hot Party
10:00 p.m.

Summer in Brazil
Wharton D Basement, 10:00 p.m.

Olde Club Show: The Honorary Title
Olde Club, 10:00 p.m.

Saturday:

Living Wage rally
Kohlberg Courtyard, 11:00 a.m.

Film showing: Collateral
Science Center 101, 7:30 & 10:00 p.m.

College Orchestra and Chorus Concert
Lang Concert Hall, 8:00 p.m.

WRC Coffee House
Women’s Resource Center, 8:00 p.m.

LPAC Frear Ensemble Theatre, 8:00 p.m.

SAC Winter Formal
Upper Tarble, 10:00 p.m.

Sunday:

Gamelan Semara Santi
LPAC Mainstage, 3:00 p.m.

LPAC Frear Ensemble Theatre, 7:00 p.m.

Hanukkah Party
Mephistos, 7:00 p.m.

Fetter Chamber Music Ensemble Concert
Lang Concert Hall, 8:00 p.m.

*****

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Upcoming contests

Today:
Swimming at F&M Invite, 6:00 p.m.
Women’s Basketball vs. St. Josephs’s (CT) in Seven Sisters at Bryn Mawr, 8:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:
Swimming at F&M Invite, 10:00 a.m./6:00 p.m.
Men’s Basketball at Ursinus, 1:00 p.m.
Women’s Basketball in Seven Sisters at Bryn Mawr, tba

Sunday:
Swimming at F&M Invite, 9:00 a.m.
Indoor Track in Villanova Invite at Haverford, 12:00 p.m.

*****

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I am a student. Please do not fold, spindle or mutilate me. “
–Slogan of the Free speech movement, 1964.

*****

Interested in reporting or writing for the Gazette?
Got a news or sports tip for us?
Just want to tell us what you think?

Contact the staff at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu

Managing Editor: Greg Leiserson
News Editor: Jonathan Ference
Sports Editor: Alex Glick
Living and Arts Editor: Victoria Swisher
Features Editor: Alexis Reedy
World News Editor: Roxanne Yaghoubi
Photo/Graphics Editor: Charlie Buffie
Web/Tech Support: Ken Patton
Reporters: Maile Arvin
Micaela Baranello
Anya Carrasco
Lauren Janowitz
Evelyn Khoo
Megan Mills
Andrew Quinton
Jen Roth
Maki Sato
Cara Tigue 
Photographers: Kyle Khellaf
Anthony Orazio
Chris Caruso
World News Roundup: Roxanne Yaghoubi
Campus Sports: Alex Glick

The Daily Gazette is published Monday through Friday by an independent group of Swarthmore
College students. The Daily Gazette Web Site is updated regularly, as news happens. Technical
support from the Swarthmore College Computer Society is gratefully acknowledged.

Our world news roundup is compiled daily, using a variety of sources, most notably the
Associated Press (
www.ap.org), Reuters (www.reuters.com), CNN (www.cnn.com),
and The New York Times (www.nytimes.com). Our campus sports
summaries are derived from information provided by the Swat Athletics Department (http://www.swarthmore.edu/athletics/).

To subscribe to the Gazette, free of charge, or to cancel a subscription, go to our
subscriptions page on the web at http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/subscribe.html.

Back issues are available on the web at: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/archive.html

This concludes today’s report.