Wednesday, December 1, 2004

The Daily Gazette
Swarthmore College
Wednesday, December 1, 2004
Volume 9, Number 61

Interested in writing for Swat’s only daily newspaper? Join the Daily Gazette! Email the staff
at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu for more information and come to one of our Thursday meetings
to try it out. Write as much or as little as your time and inclination allow.

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Beyond PACES: new options for partying open to students

2) World news roundup

3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s basketball beats Bears

2) Men’s basketball falls to Crimson Eagles

3) Upcoming contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Rain, windy. High in mid 50s.
It’s December now, one of my favorite months…

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low in mid 30s.
My birthday is coming up, then the holidays, as well as the wonderfully long break from school…

Tomorrow: Partly cloudy. High around 50.
If only those pesky finals would just disappear, all would be well.

SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes, pasta with roasted vegetables, spinach souffle, succotash, green beans, split pea soup, beef vegetable soup, moo shu bar, krispy treats

Dinner: Fresh fish, scalloped potatoes, eggplant roulettes, Cajun black beans, broccoli, mixed vegetables, pasta bar, apple crisp

NEWS REPORT

by Andrew Quinton
Gazette Reporter

Students may have noticed the inclusion of events occurring at Haverford and Bryn Mawr in the weekend events email sent out November 18th. The change is the result of discussions between members of SAC and Student Council and their counterparts at Haverford and Bryn Mawr about bringing the Tri-co community together and expanding the social options for students. Plans to cross-list events had stalled after Haverford raised concerns regarding the possibility of the listing of Swarthmore parties being a violation of the Haverford honor code. “We’ll list Haverford’s parties, but they won’t list ours,” explained Student Events Adviser Myra Kate Vallianos ’05.

Sharples was also recently used as a party space for the first time in recent memory, as Enlace and SASA sponsored the SABROSO! party. SAC member Emily Nolte ’07 explained the events that led to the use of Sharples as a party space. “It was the end of Afro-Latin week, which was designed partly to bring students in the Tri-co community together. The goal of the party was to get people from all three schools together, and PACES is kind of a special Swarthmore space and not very good for big gatherings. They (SASA and Enlace) tried to get Upper Tarble, which didn’t work, so they came up with the idea of Sharples.” Dining services agreed to host the party on the condition that a Sharples staff member was present. “It sounds like most everybody who went had a good time,” said Nolte.

*****

2) World news roundup

*The International Committee of the Red Cross has cited physical and mental coercion tactics “tantamount to torture” used on prisoners held at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba (most are accused of terrorism related activities). The charges were in a confidential report given to the US government last June and leaked this week. The most troubling charges were that civilian medical staff had given interrogators full view of prisoner’s medical records to reveal physical and mental vulnerabilities, a “flagrant violation of medical ethics.” They also cited torture techniques such as stress positions, long forced exposure to loud noise, bright light and cold temperatures, and “some beatings.” The US government rejected the charges. Guantánamo Bay commander General Hood said that “I’m satisfied that the detainees here have not been abused, they’ve not been mistreated, they’ve not been tortured
in any way.” The Red Cross was allowed to visit Guantánamo Bay on the condition that any reports would be confidential. The Red Cross has previously condemned conditions at Guantánamo Bay because of the mental stress on prisoners subject to indefinite imprisonment.

*The United Nations proposed sweeping changes to its organizational structure. Proposed reform to the important Security Council include expanding the 15 current permanent members. One plan for this expansion entails adding six new permanent members and three two year term members; the other calls for eight new four year term members and two new two year term members. No new members would receive veto power. Many smaller changes will also be put into effect, though the Security Council reforms will require an amendment to the UN Charter. Other proposals include reform of the Human Rights Commission to raise its legitimacy (it currently includes Sudan and Cuba as members). The reforms are seen as a general response to the perceived impotence of the UN during the lead-up to the Iraq war.

*Tom Ridge will leave the post of secretary of homeland security by February 1st. Ridge, the first to serve in the now cabinet-level post, told the president of his decision Tuesday morning and announced it to the public that afternoon. Ridge held his very stressful job for three years, and he and his department became notorious for the color-coded terror warning alerts and were frequently accused of raising the terror alert for political reasons. The enormous umbrella department employs over 180,000 people. Ridge’s successor is not evident, though former New York City police commissioner Bernard Kerik and current undersecretary of homeland security Asa Hutchison are considered possibilities. Ridge is the seventh member of Bush’s cabinet to resign following November’s election, and most likely not the last. Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson is rumored to be next.

*****

3) Campus events

Chamber Wind Ensemble Performance
Lang Concert Hall, 4:30 p.m.

AIDS Day event: Candlelight Vigil
Sharples, 5:00 p.m.

Indian film screening: “Bombay Boys”
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 p.m.

Tai Chi class
Upper Tarble, 8:00 p.m.

Film Society movie screening
Science Center 101, 9:00 p.m.

VOX (Swarthmore Voices for Choice) meeting
Kohlberg 302, 9:15 p.m.

AIDS Day event: Movie Showing and Discussion
IC Big Room, 10:00 p.m.

*****

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Women’s basketball beats Bears

The women’s basketball team defeated the Ursinus Bears 63-49 on Tuesday. Kristen Lee ’05 scored 18 points, which tied her career high. Jessica Fuhr ’07 also reached double digits in scoring with 10 points. Ali Wolf ’05, Radiance Walters ’06, and Karen Berk ’08 each chipped in eight points. Junior Debbie Farrelly earned five steals (a career best); she also tied her career assist mark with six. Swarthmore (2-2, 1-1 in the Centennial Conference) will participate in the Seven Sisters Tournament this weekend at Bryn Mawr. They are scheduled to face St. Joseph’s (CT) at 8:00 p.m. on Friday

*****

The men’s basketball team was defeated by the Philadelphia Crimson Eagles last night 84-79 in overtime; this was the Garnet’s third consecutive overtime loss. Matt Gustafson ’05 scored 29 points. Sophomores Jeff Maxim and Chris Casey each scored 11 points; Dillon McGrew ’07 added 10 points. Maxim also pulled down 10 rebounds. Swarthmore (1-4) opens up conference play on Saturday with a 1:00 p.m. game at Ursinus.

*****

3) Upcoming contests

Today:
There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:
There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

*****

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others.”
— Aristotle

*****

Interested in reporting or writing for the Gazette?
Got a news or sports tip for us?
Just want to tell us what you think?

Contact the staff at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu

Managing Editor: Greg Leiserson
News Editor: Jonathan Ference
Sports Editor: Alex Glick
Living and Arts Editor: Victoria Swisher
Features Editor: Alexis Reedy
World News Editor: Roxanne Yaghoubi
Photo/Graphics Editor: Charlie Buffie
Web/Tech Support: Ken Patton
Reporters: Maile Arvin
Micaela Baranello
Anya Carrasco
Lauren Janowitz
Evelyn Khoo
Megan Mills
Andrew Quinton
Jen Roth
Maki Sato
Cara Tigue 
Photographers: Kyle Khellaf
Anthony Orazio
Chris Caruso
World News Roundup: Micaela Baranello
Campus Sports: Alex Glick

The Daily Gazette is published Monday through Friday by an independent group of Swarthmore
College students. The Daily Gazette Web Site is updated regularly, as news happens. Technical
support from the Swarthmore College Computer Society is gratefully acknowledged.

Our world news roundup is compiled daily, using a variety of sources, most notably the
Associated Press (
www.ap.org), Reuters (www.reuters.com), CNN (www.cnn.com),
and The New York Times (www.nytimes.com). Our campus sports
summaries are derived from information provided by the Swat Athletics Department (http://www.swarthmore.edu/athletics/).

To subscribe to the Gazette, free of charge, or to cancel a subscription, go to our
subscriptions page on the web at http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/subscribe.html.

Back issues are available on the web at: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/archive.html

This concludes today’s report.