Friday, November 12, 2004

The Daily Gazette
Swarthmore College
Friday, November 12, 2004
Volume 9, Number 50

Interested in writing for Swat’s only daily newspaper? Join the Daily Gazette! Email the staff
at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu for more information and come to one of our Thursday meetings
to try it out. Write as much or as little as your time and inclination allow.

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Former Swarthmore professor and Poet Laureate visits campus

2) Swat College Bowl places second at ACF Fall, Princeton tournaments

3) Weekend roundup

4) World news roundup

5) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) All-Centennial Conference team updates

2) Upcoming contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: 80% chance of rain. High of 50.
With pre-registration just around the corner, I’ve been trying to figure out what classes I want to take next semester.

Tonight: Rain continues. High of 46.
Since they could be the last classes I ever take, I am sort of tempted to take everything.

Saturday: Partly cloudy. High of 47.
And so when discussing possible senior T-shirts, I came up with this variation on an old favorite:

Sunday: Sunny. High of 48.
“Anywhere else, I would have been a dork.”

SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Beef with Broccoli, jasmine rice, three bean casserole, veggie blend, fortune cookies, wrap bar, lemon cake

Dinner: Friday’s favorite chicken picante, rice pilaf, lentil stew, tabouleh, baby carrots, pizza bar, cream pies

Saturday lunch: Creamy oatmeal, eggs, bacon or sausage, home fries, vegetable lo mein, spinach salad bar, brownies

Saturday dinner: Beef curry, basmati rice, red beans and rice, spiral pasta bake, taco bar, baker’s choice

Sunday brunch: Grits, bacon or sausage, hash browns, pasta primavera, strata bar, rice krispy treats

Sunday dinner: Chicken cutlet with gravy, mashed potatoes, vegetable ragout, baked pasta, pasta bar, coconut cake

NEWS REPORT

by Jen Roth
Gazette Reporter

Daniel Hoffman gave a reading of some of his work at the McCabe Library last night to a crowd of roughly 40 people. Hoffman was Poet Laureate of the United States from 1973 to 1974, though the position was then called the Consultant in Poetry of the Library of Congress, and has received numerous other awards during his career. He taught at Swarthmore for ten years, and then moved on to teach twenty-seven more at University of Pennsylvania, where he is the Felix E. Schelling Professor of English Emeritus.

Hoffman was introduced by Professor Peter Schmidt, the Chair of the English Department. In his introduction, Schmidt expressed his admiration for Hoffman’s work, saying that his poetry contained a “lifetime of wisdom.” Hoffman read 15 poems from various periods of his career, including “The 20th Century,” “The Sonnet,” “Rats,” “The Center of Attention,” and “Princess Casamassima.” Some of the poems related to his time at Swarthmore, including “Princess Casamassima,” which is about his former student Cathy Wilkerson, a member of the radical group the Weather Underground.

In association with Hoffman’s reading, the Friends Historical Library put together a one-day only exhibit that tied into the historical sources that Hoffman used in writing his book-length poem “Brotherly Love.” The epic poem deals with William Penn, the Lenni Lenape Indians, and the founding of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia. It was a finalist for the National Book Award and the National Book Critics Circle Award in 1981.

*****

On November 6, the team of Chris White ’05, Wren Elhai ’08, Rachel Burrow ’08, and late addition Arthur Chu ’06 placed second overall at Princeton’s “Kickboxer” tournament, rallying from a slow 3-3 start to an 8-4 finish. Wren was the fourth highest scorer, and Chris took top individual honors, the first time since 2001 a Swarthmore player has done so.

On October 30th, two Swarthmore teams competed in the ACF Fall tournament at Rutgers-Newark. The A team, consisting of Chris White ’05, Emily Ullman ’06, Arthur Chu ’06, and Rachel Winer ’06, placed second overall with an 8-4 record, while the B team of Scott Blaha ’07, Anne Searcy ’08, and Rachel Burrow ’08 placed seventh with a 4-7 record. The B team’s record was good for first among all Division two teams, a category in which the team must include only freshmen and sophomores.

(Thanks to Chris White for providing the results)

*****

3) Weekend roundup

by Victoria Swisher
Living and Arts editor

If you don’t want to stick around for the Signs and Voices Conference or the parties on campus this weekend, take the R3 into Philly!

Chinatown, just a block away from Market East station, is a great place to spend the day walking aimlessly. In addition to the more well-known Asian restaurants like Penang, many authentic restaurants are waiting to be discovered. Try spending a day wandering around this part of Philadelphia, discover the Asian supermarkets, and visit the neat antique stores.

Also at Market East station is Reading Terminal Market. If you haven’t been here yet, you should go as soon as you can. It’s a bustling food heaven and can satisfy any food craving, from Southern and Greek to Sushi and Indian. After you’ve eaten, hop the train to Suburban station (or for the more athletically inclined, walk) and do some shopping at H&M and Daffy’s Department store. Both of these stores offer fun clothing at cheaper prices than Express or Ann Taylor, and they’re geared for the teenage/early twenties crowd. If you’re itching for some more traditional shopping at Express, there’s a mall across the street from H&M that can satisfy your desires.

So take that free Saturday or Sunday and put it to good use: go into Philly and wander around. The City has a lot to offer – don’t let it go to waste!

*****

4) World news roundup

* Even as Palestinians continued to mourn the death of Yasir Arafat on Thursday, the PLO moved quickly to establish its new leadership. Mahmoud Abbas will take over Mr. Arafat’s role, and many observers see that choice as a moderate one. Mr. Abbas has criticized the intifada and is a pragmatic negotiator. Meanwhile Mr. Arafat’s body was flown to Cairo in order to lie in state before a military funeral on Friday. Though his wish was to be buried in Jerusalem, Israel is unwilling to allow this, so the Palestinian leader will instead be buried on the site of his old compound-10 miles north of Jerusalem.

* Military officials said on Thursday they believe that many Iraqi insurgents fled Fallujah weeks ago. Back then, Iraqi civilians had been given the chance to flee the coming offensive, and it is likely that the insurgents joined the refugees in their flight. The news comes as a disappointment to military planners who had hoped to capture or kill a large number of guerrillas during the offensive. The coalition troops are successfully recapturing the city’s neighborhoods. To this point, 18 Americans have died during the battle.

* The New York Times reported on Friday that many gay rights groups, fearful of arousing hostility, are planning to limit the number of legal challenges they file related to the eleven state-level ballot initiatives banning gay marriage that were passed on November 2nd. The groups plan to focus their challenges on those amendments that threaten to impinge on civil unions or partner benefits. Matthew Coles, the director of the American Civil Liberties Union, said that his group would avoid addressing the broader amendments because “the consequences–the risks–of losing are great.”

*****

5) Campus events

Friday:

Photo Expo opening reception
Kohlberg Coffee Bar, 4:00 p.m.

Classics Lecture: “Archilochus and the Poetics of Comic Abjection in Classical Antiquity” by Ralph Rosen ’77
Kohlberg 115, 4:15 p.m.

“Deaf Communities the World Over: The Past, Present and Future of Deafness” by Prof. Carol Padden
Science Center 101, 4:30 p.m.

Rebecca Rutstein: “Canopy Adventures: The Crum Woods Through Time”
List Gallery, 5:00 p.m.

Free Culture Fest: Jessica Litman
Science Center 183, 6:00 p.m.

Movie showing: Chocolat
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 p.m.

SASA Fundraiser: Pay-per-plate dinner
Paces, 7:00 p.m.

Signs and Voices Panel: “Practical and Theoretical Issues of Educating Children with Hearing Loss”
Science Center 101, 7:30 p.m.

Movie showing: The Village
Science Center 199, 7:30 & 10:00 p.m.

College Wind Ensemble Concert
Lang Concert Hall, 8:00 p.m.

You Are the DJ Party
Mary Lyon Breakfast Room, 9:00 p.m.

Sabroso! Afro-Latin Groove
Sharples, 10:00 p.m.

Saturday:

Movie showing: The Village
Science Center 199, 7:30 & 10:00 p.m.

Jazz Ensemble Concert
Lang Concert Hall, 8:00 p.m.

Mixed Company featuring the Pennharmonics
Friends Meeting House, 9:00 p.m.

Carnivale Sexuale
Paces, 10:00 p.m.

Olde Club Show: Karate and Calla
Olde Club, 10:00 p.m.

Graffiti Party
Delta Upsilon, 10:00 p.m.

Sunday:

Signs and Voices: performances by students from The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, The Wild Zappers, and Joseph Ward
LPAC, 1:00 p.m.

*****

SPORTS UPDATE

SPORTS UPDATE

Erica George ’07 was selected to the All-Centennial Conference volleyball team, earning honorable mention. Chloe Lewis ’06 was named to the second team for field hockey.

*****

2) Upcoming contests

Today:
Badminton in Mid-Atlantic Classic at Bryn Athen, 5:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:
Badminton in Mid-Atlantic Classic at Bryn Athen, 9:00 a.m.
Men’s and Women’s Cross Country in NCAA Regionals at Allegheny, 11:00 a.m.
Men’s Soccer hosts Washington & Jefferson (ECAC Semifinals), 1:00 p.m.
Swimming hosts F&M, 2:00 p.m.

Sunday
ECAC Championship Soccer Game, 1:00
(Winner of 4-8 vs. 6-7)

*****

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”
–Pete Seeger

*****

Interested in reporting or writing for the Gazette?
Got a news or sports tip for us?
Just want to tell us what you think?

Contact the staff at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu

Managing Editor: Greg Leiserson
News Editor: Jonathan Ference
Sports Editor: Alex Glick
Living and Arts Editor: Victoria Swisher
Features Editor: Alexis Reedy
World News Editor: Roxanne Yaghoubi
Photo/Graphics Editor: Charlie Buffie
Web/Tech Support: Ken Patton
Reporters: Maile Arvin
Micaela Baranello
Anya Carrasco
Lauren Janowitz
Evelyn Khoo
Megan Mills
Andrew Quinton
Jen Roth
Maki Sato
Cara Tigue 
Photographers: Kyle Khellaf
Anthony Orazio
World News Roundup: Roxanne Yaghoubi
Campus Sports: Alex Glick

The Daily Gazette is published Monday through Friday by an independent group of Swarthmore
College students. The Daily Gazette Web Site is updated regularly, as news happens. Technical
support from the Swarthmore College Computer Society is gratefully acknowledged.

Our world news roundup is compiled daily, using a variety of sources, most notably the
Associated Press (
www.ap.org), Reuters (www.reuters.com), CNN (www.cnn.com),
and The New York Times (www.nytimes.com). Our campus sports
summaries are derived from information provided by the Swat Athletics Department (http://www.swarthmore.edu/athletics/).

To subscribe to the Gazette, free of charge, or to cancel a subscription, go to our
subscriptions page on the web at http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/subscribe.html.

Back issues are available on the web at: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/archive.html

This concludes today’s report.