Wednesday, November 3, 2004

The Daily Gazette
Swarthmore College
Wednesday, November 3, 2004
Volume 9, Number 43

Interested in writing for Swat’s only daily newspaper? Join the Daily Gazette! Email the staff
at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu for more information and come to one of our Thursday meetings
to try it out. Write as much or as little as your time and inclination allow.

Check out the latest Gazette photos of election day at Swat online at:
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/specials/elect04/1.html

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Election watching venues abound around campus

2) World news roundup

3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Upcoming contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. High near 60.
While last night had its highs, such as the complete destruction of Mitt Romney’s reform dream team, and lows, including a lopsided Bush victory in Florida,

Tonight: Clear. Low in the 30s.
The depression I’m feeling right now isn’t related to the outcome of the election per se,

Tomorrow: Rain in the afternoon. High of 51.
But rather the fact that, unlike voting, had I not participated in the election watching and instead gone to bed four hours ago, the same results would have happened without me — and I would be well-rested.

SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes, pasta with roasted vegetables, spinach souffle, succotash, green beans, moo shu bar

Dinner: Fresh fish, scalloped potatoes, Cajun black beans, eggplant roulettes, broccoli, mixed vegetables, pasta bar

NEWS REPORT

Compiled by the Gazette Staff

While they were never rewarded with a clear victor despite their patience in watching election coverage last night, Swarthmore students waited it out in locations scattered around campus. Students could watch in Upper Tarble, the WRC, and the IC, as well as in the dorms. The Gazette profiles here a selection of the various venues.

Upper Tarble

Upper Tarble saw a steady crowd of hundreds of students streaming in and out last night to watch election coverage by the NBC network on a large rear-projection screen. The hosts of the event, the Swarthmore Voter Registration Coalition (SVRC), had many rows of chairs and several tables of steadily replenished pizza and soda. Students sprawled out on blankets directly in front of the screen and filled the rows of chairs, talking tensely to their neighbors. A brave few tried to do homework while the majority of the crowd paid close attention to the results being announced. Loud cheers erupted for states which were called Democratic; the loudest cheer coming after Pennsylvania was decided Democratic, with analysts citing the Philadelphia suburbs as key in the state’s leaning towards Kerry. Some professors were also among the crowd at Upper Tarble, and college president Al Bloom and his wife also made an appearance.

ML

A crowd that peaked at more than 60 people, including a good number of on-campus residents, filled the lounge in Mary Lyon during the election coverage. The ML audience was completely Democratic. Students utilized the split screen, usually with ABC and CNN or MSNBC as the other choice. Residents switched over to the Daily Show for an hour to provide some laughs in the very tense room. ML, as always, provided a supportive and friendly environment. Most students made sure to pay very close attention to the television commentary while a few attempted to trudge through their homework. Shortly before 2:00 a.m. roughly 35 people still remained in the lounge.

New Dorm

At 8:00 p.m. the New Dorm crowd was already raucous with 30 people watching election returns. The solidly Democratic crowd cheered every time Pennsylvania was mentioned or a state was projected for Kerry. Free pizza and sodas arrived at 9:00 courtesy of the men’s soccer coach. By 10:00 p.m. the crowd had swelled to roughly 75 people, with the crowd running out into the hallway. Viewers switched between CNN, NBC, and Fox News primarily, although they took a break at 10:00 for the Daily Show special. By midnight the crowd had thinned out with only 15 loyal viewers remaining. The merry mood present earlier in the evening was replaced by grim faces and cynical remarks. By 1:00 most of the crowd had disappeared with most of those remaining doing homework.

Willets

Around 15 all-night watchers as well as about 50 people who cycled in and out watched the elections in Mephistos last night. A large map of the USA was posted on the wall and states were shaded in either blue or red when CNN, the channel of choice, called a state for either candidate. Around 9:30 men’s soccer coach Eric Wagner showed up with an unexpected large stack of pizza. Some soda was also around, and all of the viewers were able to eat their fill. At 10:00 Jon Stewart fans turned on the Daily Show. The crowd cheered when results favorable to the Democratic Party were announced, although there were some conservatives mixed in as well.

Mertz

A group of roughly 30 people crowded around the big screen television early in the evening in Mertz to anxiously watch CNN report results of the election. Dedicated basketball fans were able to watch a couple of games along side election coverage. The channel changed from CNN only to Comedy Central to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Several pizzas arrived early in the evening, a bag of food lay on the floor, and several people brought their own liquor to accompany election coverage watching. Though cheers went up several times as Kerry began to close in on Bush’s lead in the polls, students continued to anxiously sit at the edge of their seats late into the morning, some biting their fingernails, in anticipation of the final election results.

Woolman

The crowd watching election returns in the Woolman lounge fluctuated, ranging from three to eight but retaining the same sad anxiety at any size. The entirely Democratic audience favored CNN, with a break for The Daily Show on Comedy Central, which gave the viewers a welcome reprieve from their gloom. Woolman residents discovered their inner policy wonks, intently examining maps on the lounge computer and arguing about the population density of certain counties in Ohio. Many peanut butter cookies were consumed, and much work attempted with varying degrees of success. The crowd shrunk as the results slowed to a deadlock.

*****

2) World news roundup

* The result of the presidential election remained unclear at press time with reporting delays in New Mexico and Iowa and the race still too close to call in Ohio. According to CNN projections this morning, Bush led in the electoral college with 254 votes while Kerry followed with 252, pending the final results from the three close states. With 20 electoral votes going to the candidate who wins Ohio, the candidate who secures the state will take the election. Kerry won by a comfortably large margin in Pennsylvania, drawing enormous numbers of votes from the Philadelphia area, and picked up New Hampshire, a state the Bush won in 2000. The election’s future may lie in the many provisional ballots of Ohio and lawsuits regarding eligibility.

* Republican Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter won a narrower than expected victory over Democrat Joe Hoeffel. Hoeffel rode Kerry’s successful campaign to an impressive showing despite low name recognition and Specter’s long reputation. He called Specter to concede around 11:30 last night. The Philadelphia Inquirer noted that Specter watched the returns from the Four Seasons Hotel, while Hoeffel watched from a union hall.

* In other races, Illinois overwhelmingly elected Democrat Barack Obama to the open seat in the Senate, winning over 80% of the vote. Obama will be only the third black senator since Reconstruction. In other notable Senate races, Charles Schumer retained the senior seat for New York, the troubled Jim Bunning squeaked out a victory over Daniel Mongiardo in Kentucky, and Democratic Senate leader Tom Daschle lost to James Thune.

*****

3) Campus events

Columbia Law School visit
Science Center 199, 4:30 p.m.

Discussion on Women and Law
Kohlberg 228, 4:30 p.m.

Indian film screening: “Bombay”
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 p.m.

Tai Chi class
Upper Tarble, 8:00 p.m.

Film Society movie screenings:
Science Center 101, 9:00 p.m.

VOX (Swarthmore Voices for Choice) meeting
Kohlberg 302, 9:15 p.m.

Diya Week: Mehndi Night
LPAC Lobby, 9:30 p.m.

*****

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Upcoming contests

Today:
Swimming hosts Widener, 6:30 p.m.

Tomorrow:
There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

*****

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.”
-George Bernard Shaw

*****

Interested in reporting or writing for the Gazette?
Got a news or sports tip for us?
Just want to tell us what you think?

Contact the staff at dailygazette at swarthmore dot edu

Managing Editor: Greg Leiserson
News Editor: Jonathan Ference
Sports Editor: Alex Glick
Living and Arts Editor: Victoria Swisher
Features Editor: Alexis Reedy
World News Editor: Roxanne Yaghoubi
Photo/Graphics Editor: Charlie Buffie
Web/Tech Support: Ken Patton
Reporters: Maile Arvin
Micaela Baranello
Anya Carrasco
Lauren Janowitz
Evelyn Khoo
Megan Mills
Andrew Quinton
Jen Roth
Maki Sato
Cara Tigue 
Photographers: Kyle Khellaf
Anthony Orazio
World News Roundup: Roxanne Yaghoubi
Campus Sports: Alex Glick

The Daily Gazette is published Monday through Friday by an independent group of Swarthmore
College students. The Daily Gazette Web Site is updated regularly, as news happens. Technical
support from the Swarthmore College Computer Society is gratefully acknowledged.

Our world news roundup is compiled daily, using a variety of sources, most notably the
Associated Press (
www.ap.org), Reuters (www.reuters.com), CNN (www.cnn.com),
and The New York Times (www.nytimes.com). Our campus sports
summaries are derived from information provided by the Swat Athletics Department (http://www.swarthmore.edu/athletics/).

To subscribe to the Gazette, free of charge, or to cancel a subscription, go to our
subscriptions page on the web at http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/subscribe.html.

Back issues are available on the web at: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/archive.html

This concludes today’s report.