Fraternity cancels Margaritaville due to assault of Ville resident

Students looking forward to partying Jimmy Buffett-style during the first weekend after the end of classes will have to head to another venue besides the Delta Upsilon (DU) Lodge Saturday night. Following an assault incident last weekend, the fraternity brothers made the decision–supported by the College’s administration–to cancel their annual party.

In an email, DU president Chris Ciarleglio ’04 explained that during the “Heaven and Hell” Phi Psi fraternity party and another DU party this past weekend, a teenager from the Swarthmore Ville was beaten up by the SEPTA train tracks. According to Ciarleglio, “the administration, the police and the fraternity leaders have no idea who was involved,” and the investigation is still underway. The fraternity brothers felt that this incident would result in a potentially unsafe environment both for the fraternity and for partygoers, and thus made the decision to cancel the party.

The Swarthmore Police Report for this week included an account of the incident. According to the report, the victim suffered blows to the “head, body, and arm” before losing consciousness. The Ville resident was taken to Riddle Hospital for treatment.

Students were made aware of DU’s decision Thursday morning by a reserved-students email that said the event was “canceled [sic] per request of the Administration.” Ciarleglio wished to clarify that the College simply advised the fraternity to cancel the party, one of the traditional highlights of the beginning of reading week. He added that: “The assault is, of course, disturbing, and though I am confident that justice will prevail, I am saddened that this had to occur at a time when students should be celebrating the end of another year.”

Dean of Student Life Tedd Goundie affirmed the decision made by the fraternity in the interest of campus safety this weekend and confirmed that he had advised Delta Upsilon that going ahead with the party was unwise.

Delta Upsilon has no plans to replace Margaritaville with any other party at this time, but expects it to return next year.