Wednesday, May 2, 2001

Wednesday, May 2, 2001
Volume 5, Number 129

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: A mix of clouds and sun. High 87.
Well folks, it looks like today is going to be a real scorcher.

Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 63.
Man, I’ve always wanted to say that!

Tomorrow: Partly cloudy. High 86.
Hey, don’t tell me you didn’t have meteorological fantasies when you were growing up…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Turkey meatloaf with mushroom gravy, steamed rice, *vegetable lo-mein, spinach souffle, succotash, cut green beans
**Asian bar

Dinner: Fresh fish, scalloped potatoes, *cajun black beans, pasta & sauce, broccoli, mixed vegetables
**Pasta bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

Thomas Blanton Jr., the 62 year-old former Ku Klux Klansman, was found guilty of murdering 4 black girls in a 1963 Alabama church bombing. Blanton was sentenced to 4 consecutive life sentences, though his lawyer has promised to appeal the decision. The case, which had lay dormant for decades, was reopened in 1993 at the behest of Rev. Abraham Woods, a local black minister.

President Bush worked with Republican Congressmen yesterday to draft a plan for the 2002 federal budget, as well as an 11-year, $1.35 trillion tax cut program. The plan calls for enhanced economic stimulation over the next two years, in the form of a $100 billion tax break and a 5.6% increase in the spending of many government programs. This new package is an attempt to woo Senate moderates and Democrats who had previously defeated Bush’s 10-year, $1.6 trillion tax cut.

As announced on Monday, President Bush spoke yesterday about the need for national missile defense at the expense of the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty. Bush described the ABM agreement as outdated, and no longer sufficient to protect America from rogue states who could not be retaliated against through traditional means. Although the statement was criticized by foreign leaders, the same leaders responded favorably to the President’s condition that such a shield would be accompanied by a decrease in America’s nuclear arsenal.

2) Campus events

Stress Management Alphabet: Managing Stress from A to Z
Equal Opportunity Office – Sharples, 2:00 p.m.

Lecture and Exhibit by Harvey Finkle, Social Documentary Photographer
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 4:00 p.m.

The Swarthmore College Chamber Wind Ensemble
Michael Johns, Director
Lang Concert Hall, 4:30 p.m.

French Movie Night
Kohlberg 115, 7:00 p.m.

Film: “Yi yi (A One and a Two)”
Written and Directed by Edward Yang. 2000, Taiwan, Taiwanese/Mandarin and English
LPAC Cinema, 8:00 p.m.

College Democrats Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 8:00 p.m.

Dialogues Discussion Group
Parrish Parlor – West, 9:00 p.m.

Film Society Screening
DuPont 161, 10:00 p.m.

Folk Song Sing-Along
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

The Bucks eliminated the Magic last night with a 112-104 win in Game 4 of their first round series. Ray Allen scored 26 points to lead Milwaukee to its first playoff series victory since 1989. They next face Charlotte in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

In hockey action, the New Jersey Devils took a 2-1 lead over the Toronto Maple Leafs in their second round playoff series when Brian Rafalski scored 7 minutes into OT to give the Devils a 3-2 victory. Rafalski’s goal came from a centering pass that deflected off Toronto defenseman Cory Cross’s skate and into the net.

Deion Sanders returned to baseball for the first time in four years last night, leading the Cincinnati Reds to a 7-6 win over the LA Dodgers. Sanders, who also plays cornerback for the Washington Redskins, went 3-3 in his re-debut, including a 3-run homer and a stolen base.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Only the shallow know themselves.” – Oscar Wilde