Thursday, April 19th, 2001

Thursday, April 19th, 2001
Volume 5, Number 120

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s tennis overcomes Fords
2) Men’s lacrosse falls to Washington
3) World sports roundup
4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Sunny. High 60.
The plans for the new dorm looked pretty nice last night at Sharples.

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 46.
But, then again, so did the Ben & Jerry’s…

Tomorrow: A mix of sun and clouds. High 67.
All I can remember thinking is, “A dorm made out of Chunky Monkey. Now that would be sweet…”

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken and dumplings, buttered noodles, *baked tofu, pierogies, broccoli, cauliflower
**Asian bar

Dinner: Meat lasagna, garlic breadsticks, vegetable lasagna, *Suzies’ sieten, vegetable blend. cut green beans
**Antipasto bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

The Mississippi River flooded parts of Wisconsin yesterday as rapid snow melting combined with increased precipitation. 150 homes in La Crosse, WI were drenched by the rising water while many others near the river were evacuated. Townships in Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois are under emergency alerts as they suspect that the crests may reach them next.

Negotiations between China and the US over the EP-3E incident appear to be deadlocked after just one day of talks. US officials are refusing to continue discussion until China offers to return the captive plane while Chinese diplomats want the US to agree to end surveillance flights near China’ coast. The US has said that it cannot honor this request due to national security concerns. A second talk scheduled for today hinges on the outcome of negotiations between America’s ambassador to China and the Chinese Foreign Ministry.

US District Judge John Tinder ruled yesterday that a company cannot broadcast Timothy McVeigh’s execution over the Internet. Entertainment Network Inc. had argued that the prohibition violated First Amendment rights, but Tinder found that these rights were not interfered with by the Bureau of Prisons’ policy banning public distribution of executions. However, the families of victims of the 1995 bombing will be able to view the lethal injection over closed-circuit TV.

2) Campus events

Poetry Reading by Elaine Equi
Presentation of the Lois Morrell Poetry Prize and the John Russell Hayes Poetry Prizes
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 7:00 p.m.

Arboretum Lecture
LPAC Cinema, 7:30 p.m.

Dialogues Discussion Group
Mephistos Lounge – Willets, 10:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Women’s tennis overcomes Fords

The women’s tennis team eked out a victory over Haverford yesterday, 5-4. Caroline Celano ’04 sealed the match with a 6-1, 6-7, 6-2 win at second singles. Anjani Reddy ’04, Kristina Pao ’04, Katherine Voll ’03, and Audrey Dorelien ’04 were also victorious in singles competition, although the Fords swept the doubles matches. The team’s record now stands at 11-2 overall and 9-0 in the Centennial Conference. They can clinch the Conference championship with a win against Western Maryland on Saturday.

2) Men’s lacrosse falls to Washington

The men’s lacrosse team was defeated by Washington yesterday, 19-9. The Shoremen scored within the first eight seconds of play and proceeded to rattle off seven unanswered goals before John Murphy ’03 put the Garnet on the board. Joey DeSimone ’04 led the team with four goals, while Than Court ’03 and John Cleaver ’04 added two apiece. With just one remaining game in their Centennial Conference season, the team’s record falls to 0-5 in Conference action and 3-8 overall.

3) World sports roundup

The Ottawa Senators were swept out of the Stanley Cup playoffs in the first round last night, dropping Game 4 to the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-1. Yanic Perreault netted two goals for the #7 Leafs, who sent the #2 Sens to their 4th straight playoff series defeat. Meanwhile, Jeff Halpern notted the series between the Capitals and the Penguins at two games apiece, when he scored for the Caps 4:01 into overtime. And, in another overtime battle, the Hurricanes staved off elimination against the defending-champion Devils behind a Rod Brind’Amour goal, just 46 seconds into the extra period.

The New York Knicks defeated the Detroit Pistons 94-88 Wednesday evening to clinch the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Knicks will now have home-court advantage in their first round series with the Raptors, thanks to backup center Kurt Thomas’ 20 points and 14 rebounds.

Manger Larry Rothschild was fired by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays yesterday after the team’s 4-10 start this season. He will be replaced by Hal McRae, a bench coach for the Rays, who managed the Kansas City Royals for four seasons in the early 90’s.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Baseball hosts Washington & Lee, 3:30 p.m.
Women’s lacrosse hosts Western Maryland, 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Golf at Widener w/ Gwynedd-Mercy & Philadelphia U., 1:00 p.m.
Baseball hosts Franklin & Marshall, 3:15 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Happiness is good health and a bad memory.” – Ingrid Bergman