Monday, April 16th, 2001

Monday, April 16th, 2001
Volume 5, Number 117

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Agunloye sets school record
2) Both lacrosse teams lose in a disappointing day
3) Ball games don’t go well
4) World sports roundup
5) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Cloudy with showers. High 50.
I saw two bunnies yesterday, but I’m not sure which one was the Easter Bunny.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy with a few showers. Low 39.
One of them had a big bushy tail, and he twitched his nose at me and winked when I passed by. The other was humping a can of Natty Light in Wharton Courtyard.

Tomorrow: Cloudy with showers. Highs in the low 50s, lows in the mid 30s.
I still don’t know which was the Easter Bunny, but I know which one had a better day.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Ravioli with marinara sauce, crusty foccacia, *tempeh stir fry with broccoli and red bell peppers, spinach, zucchini
**Seafood bar

Dinner: Paella with shrimp, sausage and chicken, basmati rice, Mexican lasagna *El’s black beans, baby carrots, cauliflower
**Burger bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

Israeli warplanes bombed radar installations deep inside Syria today, retaliating for fatal Hezbollah attacks which have recently occurred. Israel has repeatedly accused Lebanon and Syria for helping anti-Israel fighters in various ways, and threatened to retaliate, but today’s attack, which has reportedly killed one and wounded four other Syrian soldiers, struck unexpectedly deep in Syrian territory.

The 24 member crew of the US reconaissance plane stranded in China shared their harrowing experience with the press today. The pilot of the Chinese jet that collided with the Navy plane was close enough for the Americans to see him saluting them and wording something; on his third pass next to the American plane, he collided with its propeller, clipped off its nose cone, and crashed into the sea. Most of the crew thought they were going to die, but mission commander Shane J. Osborn was able to level the plane and halt its rapid descent. Numerous distress calls were sent out, and it soon became apparent that the only safe choice for landing was the Chinese island of Hainan. Once they landed, the Americans were escorted off the plane and into Chinese officers’ barracks; their overall treatment was not hostile, although they were repeatedly interrogated, sometimes in the middle of the night and for prolonged periods of time.

US Navy panel reviewing the conduct of Cmdr. Scott Waddle, the captain of the submarine that collided with a Japanese vessel off Hawaii in February has recommended that the Captain be not tried at a court martial, but rather be given a reprimand that would effectively end his career. Despite numerous lapses in safety on the submarine on the day of the incident, including having some of its controls manned by civilian ‘tourists’ on board, the panel concluded the captain was not acting with criminal negligence. Waddle has previously expressed his deep remorse, but the panel’s recommendation is expected to draw heavy criticism from Japan.

2) Campus events

“Secularism, Development and Ecology: Contesting ‘Community’ on the South Indian Coast”
by Dr. Ajantha Subramanian, Anthropology, Duke University
Scheuer Room, 4:15 p.m.

Lecture by Kenneth Stow
Trotter 203, 4:30 p.m.

“Two Million and Counting…The U.S. Prison Boom”
Bond Memorial Hall, 5:00 p.m.

Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: Siegfried
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 10:00 p.m.

Earthlust Meeting
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

Dialogues
ML Breakfast Room, 10:15 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Agunloye sets school record

Joko Agunloye ’01 set a school record at the Moravian Greyhound Invitational Saturday. She ran the 10K in a time of 36:43.41, finishing second and automatically qualifying for the NCAA Division III championships.

The women’s lacrosse fell to Dickinson 10-7, with Katie Tarr leading the Garnet with four goals and an assist; the team is now 6-5 overall, 1-4 in the conference.

The men’s team lost to F&M, also by a score of 10-7. The Garnet was 7-6 going into the third but was outscored 4-0 in the second half. Mark Dingfield and John Murphy each scored two goals; the team falls to 3-7 overall, 0-4 in the conference.

3) Ball games don’t go well

Baseball lost to Dickinson in a double header 4-2, 10-6, ending the day with a record of 2-15 overall, 1-10 in the conference. Meanwhile, the softball team lost to Gettysburg 8-0, 6-1, lowering their standing to 1-17 overall, 1-8 in the conference.

4) World sports roundup

In the NHL playoffs, the Philadelphia Flyers lost again to the Buffalo Sabres Saturday, this time 4-3, giving the Sabres a 2-0 record in the Eastern Conference. The New Jersey Devils also beat North Carolina Hurricanes 2-0, with a Hurricanes rookie Shane Willis sent to the hospital after the Devils captain body checked him with 11 seconds to play. Mario Lemieux scored his first playoof goal since 1997 in the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 2-1 victory over the Washington Capitals. Finally, the Toronto Maple Leafs beat Ottawa Senators 3-0 for a second consecutive shut-out.

The Red Sox beat the Yankees 5-4, but only after their pitcher threw into the Yankees dugout trying to pick off Derek Jeter, their manager accumulated seven defense charges in one inning, and the Yankees fielder let the ball drop and then kicked it. Meanwhile, the Phillies lost to the Atlanta Braves 0-3, and the Pittsburgh Pirates lost to the Chicago Cubs and their heavy hitter Sammy Sosa.

Heading into the playoffs, The Philadelphia 76ers beat the New York Knicks 89-82 Sunday, ending a two-game losing skid. Allen Iverson scored his 9000th career point during the first quarter, and the team walked away happy to have made a statement to the Knicks, to whom they have lost in nine out of the last 13 games. Meanwhile the Boston Celtics beat the new Jersey Nets 95-89, in a game where the 8 millionth point in NBA history was scored.

5) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Golf hosts Widener and Haverford, 1:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Women’s lacrosse at Muhlenberg, 7:00 p.m.
Baseball at F&M, 3:30 p.m.
Softball at Gettysburg, 3:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“They changed the world of music. They rescued rock and roll from pretentiousness and unnecessary adornments” – Arturo Vega, The Ramones’ long-time artistic director, responding to Sunday’s death of lead singer Joey Ramone, 49.