Monday, April 9th, 2001

Monday, April 9th, 2001
Volume 5, Number 112

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Alumna gives $2 million for Parrish renovation
2) PACES menu for this week
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Jeuland shatters records en route to Nationals
2) Softball wins first game
3) Tennis rolls over Trinity, Rochester
4) Women’s tennis trounces Dickinson
5) Both lax teams fall
6) Baseball sees mixed results this weekend
7) Intramural basketball scoreboard
8) World sports roundup
9) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly cloudy. High 72.
I guess I should be making some crack about the upcoming Housing Lottery…

Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Low 57.
Like about how hard it is trying to find a roommate, a dorm, a room, a block, etc.

Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy with scattered showers late. High 69, Low 49.
Then I remembered that I’m living off campus next year, and I laughed.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken fingers, french fries, *Asian pasta, Tuscan bean cake, corn, carrots.
**Nacho bar

Dinner: Chicken with spinach and feta, basmati rice, *tempeh with hoisin sauce, stuffed peppers, peas and carrots, vegetable blend.
**Cheesesteak bar

NEWS REPORT

The College reported late last week that it has received a $2 million pledge from Marian Ware ’38 and her family foundation for the renovation of Parrish Hall.

Parrish, the oldest and largest building on campus, is scheduled for extensive remodeling within its stone exterior. The project plans to improve administrative space as well as student housing. The plan also includes a new center for student organizations and activities, as well as provisions for a new admissions office in the Commons area on the second floor.

Mrs. Ware has a long history of philanthropic involvement with Swarthmore. Among other gifts, she and her late husband, John H. Ware III, provided the funding in 1981 for the Ware Pool. Over the years she has also provided an endowed professorship, the Marian Snyder Ware Professorship of Physical Education and Athletics, as well as funding for the Cunningham Fieldhouse and the training room in the new Mullan Tennis Center.

Mrs. Ware’s pledge was made through her own personal contributions as well as funds from her family’s Oxford Foundation, established in 1947 to support human services, higher education, health and hospitals, environmental conservation, and church programs. Mrs. Ware, who established the foundation with her husband, serves on its board of directors, along with her children, Paul W. Ware, John H. Ware IV, Marilyn Ware, and Carol Ware Gates. John H. Ware III, who died in 1997, was a Chester County civic leader and a state senator and U.S. congressman.

2) PACES menu for this week

Monday – Wednedsay

-Southwestern corn & black bean salad with cilantro & lime
-Fettuccine with broccoli rabe, tomatoes and ricotta
-Banana pecan bread with honey butter
-Rosemary roasted chicken with potatoes
-Macerated grapes in clove cinnamon syrup

Desserts

Monday – Vegan boston creme pie, apple upside-down biscuit cake
Tuesday – Triple ginger layer cake, chocolate cake w/ rocky road frosting
Wednesday – Vegan cheese cake, vegan chocolate peanut butter brownie cake

3) World news roundup

A Russian-made helicopter carrying seven Americans and nine Vietnamese citizens crashed into a mountainside Saturday, killing all aboard. The crew’s mission was to search for the remains of some 2000 Americans still listed as Missing in Action after the Vietnam War; the main effort of the search is scheduled to begin in May. All 16 bodies were recovered on Sunday, and the President Bush offered condolences to the families of those killed.

The U.S. warned Beijing Sunday that Sino-American relations are being hurt with every day that the crew of the ER-3E spy plane was being detained. The Bush administration has declined repeatedly to apologize for the April 1 incident where a Chinese jet collided with the American spy plane, but Secretary of State Powell did say the US was “sorry” for the death of the Chinese jet pilot Wang Wei. President Bush is said to have sent a letter of condolences to the pilot’s wife, in which he expressed hope for her future.

As Congress goes into recess for the next two weeks, lobbyists are gearing up in response to the federal budget formally proposed today by President Bush. The budget will propose cutting spending in the areas of shipbuilding (aimed at developing environmentally-friendly double-hulled oil tankers), health (training of children’s doctors, for example), public housing, loans to small businesses, and local police hiring and training. The informal budget draft released five weeks ago drew bipartisan opposition, but Vice President Cheney asserted Sunday the President will veto any spending he views as excessive.

4) Campus events

“Human Rights, Refugees and the Search for Protection”
by Debbie Elizondo, U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, Chief of the Refugee Resettlement Department, Geneva, Switzerland.
Scheuer Room 12:30 p.m.

“The Story Behind The Tiananmen Papers: The Chinese Leadership’s Decision to Use Force Against Their Own People: In Their Own Words”
by Perry Link, Princeton University.
Scheuer Room, 4:30 p.m.

Ruach Passover Dinner
Bond Memorial Hall, 6:30 p.m.

Presentation by Mark Jacobs and Alumnus Mark Gunther
Kirby Lecture Hall 7 p.m.

ENGL 36 Film: Emma
Trotter 301, 8 p.m.

Swing Practice
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: X
Martin Kirby Lecture Hall, 10 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 10 p.m.

Dialogues Discussion Group
ML Breakfast Room, 10:15 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

This weekend Marc Jeuland ’01 won the 10K at the Princeton Relays. His time of 30:34.40 set a school and Centennial Conference record, and immediately qualified him for the NCAA Division III championships. In other track and field news, the women’s team defeated Johns Hopkins 78-42 while the men’s team lost 90-41.

2) Softball wins first game

The softball team split a doubleheader with Dickinson on Saturday, losing 4-2 but winning the nightcap 4-3 for their first victory this season. Senior Dierdre Downey hit an RBI triple in the bottom of the 7th inning of the second game to seal the win.

3) Tennis rolls over Trinity, Rochester

The men’s tennis defeated Trinity 4-3 on Friday and beat Rochester 7-0 on Sunday. Justin Singer, Jayson Yost, and Scott Grant, as well as the doubles teams of Grant/Yost and Singer/Visciano were victorious on Friday, while everyone won on Sunday. The team is now 6-5 overall.

4) Women’s tennis trounces Dickinson

Women’s defeated Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA 8-1, advancing their standing to 9-2 overall, 7-0 in Centennial Conference. In singles, the winners were Anjani Reddy, Caroline Celano, Kristina Pao, Fran Simonds, Sarah Fritsch, and Katherine Voll, while the teams of Reddy/Celano and Voll/Pao won in doubles.

5) Both lax teams fall

In lacrosse action, the women lost to Gettysburg 13-6 on Saturday; Katie Tarr ’02 scored three goals and one assist. The team is now 4-4 overall, 1-3 in the conference.

The men’s team lost to Haverford 15-12, despite five goals from Blake Atkins ’02. The team fell to 3-5, 0-2.

The baseball team lost twice this weekend, 12-9 to Ursinus on Sunday and 6-1 to Western Maryland on Saturday, but won Saturday’s nightcap against Western Maryland 7-4. The team is now 2-11 overall, 1-5 in the conference.

7) Intramural basketball scoreboard

Non-Competitive

Jelly Donut 51
Big Gay Buggers 35

Team 3 64
Mothership Connection 50

DU Pigroast 38
The Wahooligans 35

Mad Monkeys win by forfeit

8) World sports roundup

Tiger Woods won the Masters at Augusta National on Sunday, holding off rivals David Duval and Phil Mickelson to become the first golfer in history to hold all four major titles at the same time. The three were tied as Woods and Mickelson made the turn to the fabled back-nine at Augusta, but Mickelson quickly faded and Duval lost by two strokes as his birdie putts from several feet away on the 17th and 18th holes failed to roll in.

Baseball roundup: The Yankees routed the Toronto Blue Jays 16-5 after taking a 12-0 lead in the third inning. Jorge Posada hit a first inning grand slam, and Roger Clemens finished off the Blue Jays, ending a six-game losing streak to Toronto. …The Mets lost to Montreal Expos 5-2, after Mike Piazza fouled out in the eight inning with bases loaded. The Mets are 2-4 in the season. …Despite 42 degree weather in Boston, Pedro Martinez struck out 16 in eight innings to secure the Red Sox victory against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 3-0. …Finally, the Phillies beat Chicago Cubs 3-1 Sunday, despite dropping the first two games against the Cubs.

The Philadelphia Flyers defeated Buffalo Sabres 2-1 yesterday, as goalie Roman Cechmanek held off 36 shots. The goalie for the Sabres was Dominik Hasek, Cechmanek’s former mentor on the Czech national team in the 1998 Olympics; the Flyers’ victory, which earned them fourth place in the play-offs, prompted cliches of “Czech-mate” from sports commentators.

9) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Golf at F&M Tournament, 1:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Women’s Tennis hosts Muhlenberg, 3:30 p.m.
Softball hosts Muhlenberg, 4:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“These are bagpipes. I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made sound never equaled the purity of the sound achieved by the pig.”

– Alfred Hitchcock