Thursday, March 29, 2001

Thursday, March 29, 2001
Volume 5, Number 105

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s tennis rolls over Hopkins
2) Men’s lacrosse victorious over Stevens Tech
3) Women’s lacrosse narrowly loses to Washington
4) Softball falls to University of the Sciences
5) Baseball drops contest to Widener
6) World sports roundup
7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy with a few showers. High 56.
The problem with these weather forecasts…

Tonight: Cloudy with rain – heavy at times. Low 46.
is that I’m afraid they’re self-fulfilling prophesies.

Tomorrow: Cloudy with thunderstorms likely. High 50.
For instance, the last time we predicted rain, it actually rained. Woah.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken pot pie, homemade biscuits, baked pasta with spinach, *vegetable ragout, spinach, vegetable blend
**Fajita bar

Dinner: Beef stroganoff, buttered noodles, garden burgers, *tofu creole, succotash, vegetable blend
**Patty-grilla bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

President Bush’s $1.94 trillion federal budget for 2002 passed the House yesterday in a 222-205, party-line vote. The budget includes the President’s 10-year, $1.6 trillion tax cut plan as well as $2.3 trillion in debt reduction over the next decade. The bill will proceed to the Senate next week, where tougher opposition is expected from legislators of both parties.

Following a series of Palestinian suicide bombings in the West Bank, Israel launched helicopter attacks against Ramallah and Gaza City yesterday. The retaliatory strikes, which killed two and injured over two dozen more, were aimed at the headquarters of Force 17, Yasser Arafat’s personal security regimen. They came in immediate response to a Hamas terrorist bombing in Sdeh Hemed that led to the deaths of two Israeli teenagers.

The US Supreme Court heard the first arguments Wednesday in a case that may decide the legality of marijuana for medical usage. The case involves the federal government and the Oakland Cannabis Buyers Cooperative, which had been purchasing the drug for its customers under California’s Proposition 215 until federal officials intervened in 1998. Proposition 215 was a statewide referendum that allowed doctors to prescribe marijuana as a palliative to suffering patients.

2) Campus events

“The Cultural Role of Civil Examinations in Late Imperial China”
by Benjamin A. Elman, UCLA, Mellon Visiting Professor, Institute of Advanced Study, Princeton
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 4:15 p.m.

“Women, Gender, and Feminism in South Africa”
by Gay Seidman, Professor of Sociology, University of Wisconsin at Madison
Bond Memorial Hall, 4:15 p.m.

Slide Presentation by Artists Leon Golub and Nancy Spero
LPAC Cinema, 4:30 p.m.

Chemistry Colloquium: “Research in Biomaterials and Bioprocesses”
by Sharon Haynie, E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Company Inc.
Dupont 139, 4:30 p.m.

“Language Policy, Language Education, and Language Rights: Indigenous, Immigrant, and International Perspectives”
by Dr. Nancy Hornberger, Goldie Anna Professor, Education, University of Pennsylvania Diversity Week Event
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 7:30 p.m.

DESHI Screening of “Bombay”
Diversity Week Event
InterCultural Center, 9:00 p.m.

Dialogues Discussion Group
Mephistos Lounge – Willets, 10:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Women’s tennis rolls over Hopkins

The women’s tennis team demolished Johns Hopkins yesterday with a 9-0 victory. Anjani Reddy ’04 improved to a perfect 7-0 on the year with a 6-3, 6-4 win in the first singles position. Singles winners also included Caroline Celano ’04, Kristina Pao ’04, Sarah Fritsch ’04, Katherine Voll ’03, and Stephanie Gironde ’04. In doubles action, the teams of Reddy and Celano and Voll and Pao were both victorious. The team’s record now stands at 5-2 overall, 3-0 in the Centennial Conference.

The men’s lacrosse team downed Stevens Tech yesterday, 6-5. Leading the Garnet were Joseph DeSimone ’04, with 3 goals and 2 assists, and Mark Dingfield ’01 with 2 goals and 1 assist. The team’s record improves to 2-3 overall.

The women’s lacrosse team suffered a close, 10-8 loss to Washington yesterday in its Centennial Conference opener. Trailing 5-2 at halftime, the Garnet managed to get back to 9-8 with 1:43 remaining on a Liz Brainard ’03 goal, but were unable to overcome that final deficit. Brainard had 3 goals and 1 assist in the loss and Katie Tarr ’02 added 2 goals and 1 assist. The team is now 2-2 overall.

The softball team was defeated by the University of the Sciences yesterday afternoon, 6-3. Gretchen Heitz ’04 and Heather Marandola ’01 each scored and knocked in a run for the Garnet, with Maureen Vernon ’01 notching the final run. The team’s record is now 0-11 overall, and 0-2 in Conference action.

5) Baseball drops contest to Widener

The baseball team fell to Widener yesterday, 13-3, despite a strong start. Taking an early 2-1 lead when Ryan Pannorfi ’04 scored on a Josh Lindsey ’01 single, the team was unable to muster any further offensive production until Mat Rapoza ’03 doubled and scored in the 5th. The team’s record now stands at 1-6 overall, and 0-1 in the Centennial Conference.

6) World sports roundup

Ex-Cleveland Browns offensive lineman Orlando Brown has filed a $200 million lawsuit against the NFL for a 1999 incident in which he was struck in the eye by a penalty flag thrown by referee Jeff Triplette. Brown, who was released by the Browns last September, says he can never play football again because further head trauma could trigger blindness. He will be represented in New York State Supreme Court by Johnnie Cochran.

Seton Hall men’s basketball coach, Tommy Amaker, has been signed to a 5-year contract to helm Michigan’s squad and replace Brian Ellerbe, who recently stepped down. Amaker is widely credited with resurrecting the Pirates’ program in his four-year stint there, despite a disappointing NIT first-round loss this year.

Todd Helton has signed an 11-year, $151 million deal with the Colorado Rockies, the fourth-richest deal in sports’ history. Helton hit .372 last season and flirted with .400 into late August to capture his first NL batting crown.

7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:

Golf at Holy Family with Widener & Cabrini, 1:00 p.m.
Baseball at Ursinus, 3:00 p.m.
Women’s tennis vs. Ursinus, 3:30 p.m.
Softball at Philadelphia University, 4:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Trying is the first step towards failure.” – Homer Simpson