Wednesday, March 21, 2001

Wednesday, March 21, 2001
Volume 5, Number 99

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Panel to address issues of Holocaust education
2) Mock Trial takes second place at Nationals
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s tennis victorious in conference opener
2) Softball starts season on a sour note
3) Baseball drops first home game
2) World sports roundup
3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Cloudy with periods of rain. High 48.
Beware of clouds bearing rain.

Tonight: Cloudy and windy with rain. Low 41.
They’re all wet.

Tomorrow: Cloudy with rain likely. High 43.
Sorry.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: French bread pizza, crinkle cut fries, *tuscan bean bake, succotash, peas
**Greek bar

Dinner: Grilled strip steak, duchess potatoes, pasta with sauce, *wild rice with cranberries and pecans, asparagus, corn on the cob
**Pasta bar

NEWS REPORT

Issues surrounding age-appropriateness of Holocaust education will be the topic of discussion by three experts tonight in a panel to be held in Trotter 203 from 7 to 9:00 p.m.

The panelists are Don Napolitano from the Education Division of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and coordinator of the Museum’s Mandel Teacher Fellowship Program, which trains Holocaust educators across the nation; Josey Fisher, director of the Holocaust Oral History archive at Gratz College; and Elaine Culbertson, curriculum director in the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District and chairperson of the Holocaust Education Task Force of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Napolitano, a former Catholic School teacher, was one of the founders of “Bearing Witness,” a program that teaches Catholic educators about the Holocaust and the roots of anti-Semitism. While teaching at the Georgetown Preparatory School he taught a course in Holocaust Studies entitled “Human Dignity in the Modern World.”

Fisher offers a graduate course in Holocaust education at Gratz College called “Teaching the Lessons of the Holocaust.” She is the author of “The Persistence of Youth: Oral Testimonies of the Holocaust.” She is also a member of the Holocaust Education Task Force of Pennsylvania and of the Interfaith Council on the Holocaust.

Culbertson designed one of the earliest Holocaust curricula in the country, and taught it in inner-city schools in Philadelphia. She is now curriculum director of the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District.

The panel will address questions including: What are the implications of introducing the Holocaust to students too early or too late? How does moral education come into play when we teach the Holocaust to young children? How should educators design Holocaust curricula and select appropriate material for young students?

This program is free and open to the public and is sponsored by Forum for Free Speech, the Program in Education, and a grant from Humanity in Action.

The mock trial team, in only its second year of competition, finished in second place at this year’s National Tournament, held in Saint Paul, Minnesota this past weekend.

Competing against 50 of the top squads in the country, the team managed to improve from its 10th place performance last year in a case involving the wrongful death of a client on a mountain-climbing expedition.

The team consists of co-presidents Dennis Cheng ’01 and BoHee Yoon ’01, and Elizabeth Goldsmith ’01, Payal Shah ’03, Charles Small ’03, Gabriel Tajeu ’03, Eden Wales ’03, and Deanna Wilson ’04.

3) World news roundup

A Brazillian offshore oil platform sank into the Atlantic Ocean yesterday, following an on-board explosion five days ago. Eleven ships were in the area, ready to prevent the 400,000 gallons of oil from spreading into the water. Although it appears that the resulting spill will be contained, 10 men are missing and presumed dead from the accident, whose cause is still not known.

The Federal Reserve announced a half-point cut in short-term interest rates yesterday, in a move to stimulate the slowing economy. However, stocks continued to slide on Wall Street in reaction to a cut that was seen as two weak to effect any real reversal in momentum. The Reserve, for its part, announced, along with the cuts, that further action may be taken in the coming weeks if the initial change does not prove effective.

Cmdr. Scott Waddle, captain of the USS Greeneville, testified in a Navy court Tuesday, despite being told that he would not receive immunity for his statements. Furthermore, Waddle testified that he should be the sole recipient of blame for the Greeneville’s collision with the Japanese fishing vessel, the Ehime Maru. Meanwhile, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori honored his perished countrymen yesterday afternoon with a silent ceremony at sea.

4) Campus events

Beaver College Center for Education Abroad Info Session – UK, Ireland and Greece
Essie Mae’s, 12:00 p.m.

“How U. S. Intelligence Works”
by Jennifer Sims, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Intelligence and Research.
Scheuer Room, 4:15 p.m.

French Movie Night
Kohlberg 115, 7:00 p.m.

Holocaust Education Discussion
with Dan Napolitano, US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Josey Fisher, Holocaust Oral History Archive, Gratz College, and Elaine Culbertson, W-S Curriculum Director and Chair, PA Holocaust Education Task Force
Trotter 203, 7:00 p.m.

“U.S. Foreign Policy Challenges”
by Robert Gallucci, Former Ambassador and Assistant Secretary of State, Now Dean at Georgetown University.
Scheuer Room, 8:00 p.m.

College Democrats Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 8:30 p.m.

Dialogues Discussion Group
Parrish Parlor – West, 9:00 p.m.

Film Society Screening
DuPont 161, 10:00 p.m.

Folk Song Sing-Along
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

The women’s tennis team won its Centennial Conference opener yesterday, beating Washington 7-2. First-years Anjani Reddy, Caroline Celano, Kristina Pao, and Sarah Fritsch, and sophomore Katherine Voll all won their singles matches, while the doubles teams of Reddy/Celano and Fritsch/Voll were also triumphant. The team’s record is now 3-2 overall.

The softball team lost its home opener on Tuesday afternoon, 7-2, to Beaver College. Stephanie Wotjtkowski ’02 went 2 for 3 with a 2-run double in the losing effort. The team is now 0-7 overall, with their first conference game scheduled for Saturday against Western Maryland.

3) Baseball drops first home game

Neumann defeated the men’s baseball team yesterday, 10-4, in its home opener. Infielder Wes Sconce ’04 had the biggest play for Swat when he notched two RBIs with a bases-loaded hit. The team’s record now stands at 1-4 overall.

4) World sports roundup

The Portland Trail Blazers defeated the Dallas Mavericks last night, 96-88, to snap the Mavs season-high 6-game winning streak. Rasheed Wallace had 18 points, 8 rebounds, and a technical foul in the victory. He now has 38 technicals on the year, tying the NBA record he set last season.

Jerry Green, head coach of the University of Tennessee’s men’s basketball team, resigned yesterday after accepting a $1.25 million buyout offer from the school. The Vols were 89-36 in four seasons under Green, including four consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Two-sport star Drew Henson has been traded back to the New York Yankees by the Cincinnati Reds, in a move that seems to indicate he is looking to focus on baseball. Henson, the quarterback for the University of Michigan’s football team, had played on the Yankees’ minor league squad this past summer, before being traded to Cincinnati in exchange for Denny Neagle.

5) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Baseball vs. University of the Sciences, 3:30 p.m.
Women’s lacrosse at College of Notre Dame of MD, 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Softball at Neumann, 4:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“If you want to be listened to, you should put time in listening.” – Marge Piercy