Friday, March 9, 2001

Friday, March 9, 2001
Volume 5, Number 97

EDITOR’S NOTE:

Since next week is spring break, the Daily Gazette will be taking a brief hiatus to points south. We will return on Monday, March 19.

Correction: While we made a point to recognize the fact that Sarah Jay ’01 qualified for the NCAA Division III Championships in the 1500 yesterday, we neglected to mention that the sport she competes in is indoor track and field.

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Cloudy with a mixture of light snow and rain. High 42.
And then, the waters parted…

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 29.
A path opened across the sea

Saturday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 40s.
And the weary travelers embarked on their journey to the land of milk and honey: Cancun.

Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50s.
Let the exodus begin…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Beef with broccoli, jasmine rice, *three bean casserole, eggplant creole, veggie blend, fortune cookies
**Wrap bar

Dinner: Tandoori chicken, oven-roasted potatoes, *tabbouleh, baby carrots, peas
**Pizza bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

The House of Representatives passed a major component of President Bush’s $1.6 trillion tax cut plan yesterday in a 230-198 vote. The bill calls for cuts in income tax rates to the tune of $958 billion over the next 10 years and now will go before the closely-divided Senate. The House vote was largely along party lines, with 10 Democrats and no Republicans crossing over.

A video made by school shooting supect Andrew Williams just a month before Monday’s violence shows the student complaining about Santee High School and his peers. Williams made the tape for his friends in Knoxville, Maryland, where he moved from recently. Meanwhile, an email was sent to students at Santee threatening to complete “what Andy had started.” In response, school officials beefed up campus security and held a school-wide meeting to discuss the issue, while police are investigating the email’s source.

Cenus results for New Jersey, Mississippi, Virginia, and Wisconsin were released yesterday as the first of 2000’s count. These initial tabulations showed that hundreds of thousands of Americans choose to define themselves as multiracial, an option that had never previously been offered before. Unfortunately, an accurate comparison cannot be made between this past year’s Census and 1990 the latest count provided 63 racial choices while the previous Census had only 5.

2) Campus events

Today:

SWIL Sci-fi/Fantasy Book Sale
Sharples, Lunch

Shabbat Services and Dinner
Bond Memorial Hall, 5:30 p.m.

International Club Movie Night
Kohlberg 116 , 7:30 p.m.

Saturday:

There are no events scheduled for Saturday.

Sunday:

Scott Associates Spring Festival
Pearson-Hall Theatre – LPAC, 3:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

Texas Tech is planning to fire current men’s basketball head coach James Dickey and hire ex-Indiana coach Bobby Knight according to team sources. The Red Raiders lost to Oklahoma State in the Big 12 tournament last night 71-59. The move could be announced as early as this afternoon.

In a Championship Week night of upsets, #19 Georgetown fell to Seton Hall and #18 Notre Dame was stunned by Pittsburgh. The Pirates from Seton Hall beat the Hoyas 58-40 in the Big East quarterfinals and the Irish’s Troy Murphy wasn’t able to reach double-figures for the first time in 78 games as the Panthers went on to a 66-54 victory.

The San Antonio Spurs crushed the Portland Trailblazers last night 93-79 to move within a half-game of of Utah for the Midwest Division lead. Derek Anderson scored 29 points for the Spurs and the Blazers’ Rasheed Wallace was ejected for the second straight game.

2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Saturday:

Women’s rugby vs. College of New Jersey, 11:00 a.m.
Men’s lacrosse vs. Goucher, 1:30 p.m.

Sunday:

There are no contests scheduled for Sunday.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.” – Colette