Tuesday, March 6, 2001

Tuesday, March 6, 2001
Volume 5, Number 94

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Intramural racing season comes to a close
2) World sports roundup
3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Cloudy and windy with periods of snow – accumulations of about an inch. High 34.
So much for the winter “storm”…

Tonight: Mostly cloudy and windy with scattered snow showers. Low 29.
And I had the perfect headline planned too:

Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy and windy. High 42.
MASSIVE BLIZZARD STRIKES SWARTHMORE, ERADICATING DEMONIC SQUIRREL POPULATION!

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Open face turkey-ham sandwich, curly fries, *vegetarian chili, open face vegetable sandwich, french cut green beans, mixed vegetables
**Asian chicken salad bar

Dinner: Catfish with creole tartar sauce, corn pudding, *broccoli-mushroom stir-fry, tomatoes provencal, brussel sprouts
**Cajun bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

Vice President Dick Cheney was in stable condition last night at George Washington University Hospital after undergoing an angioplasty operation to open up a blocked artery. Cheney had been suffering from mild chest pains over the weekend and checked himself into the hospital when the pains worsened yesterday. The 60 year-old VP has suffered 4 heart attacks, including one last November that involved surgery to open the artery which had become blocked again. Cheney’s cardiologist said the latest incident was not a heart attack and didn’t cause any injury to his heart.

Santana High School in Santee, CA – about 10 miles northeast of San Diego, was the scene of the latest school shooting yesterday when a 15 year-old student opened up fire on classmates, killing two and injuring 13. The student, a male described as a target for bullies, shot into the quad area of the school’s social sciences building with a .22-caliber revolver until he was arrested by police deputies who were quick to respond to the violence. Prosecutors have said that the perpetrator will be tried as an adult.

Though yesterday’s Northeastern storm was not as ferocious as meteorologists had predicted, the nation is still in for some rough weather. Boston and much of New England are expecting blizzard conditions and up to a foot of snow today after massive anticipatory cancellations yesterday. Meanwhile, on the other coast, California was experiencing strong rains, including five inches of precipitation in Santa Barbara and snow in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

2) Campus events

Resume Workshop
Trotter 301, 4:15 p.m.

Film: “The Match That Started My Fire, Fuses, Dyketactics, Gently Down the Stream, Monsters in the Closet, Annie, The Color of Love, It Wasn’t Love, Sex Fish” and “She Don’t Fade”
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 p.m.

Argentine Tango Lesson
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

The fourth and final Frozen Foot 5K of the intramural racing season was held this past Sunday. Ambrose Dieringer ’01 took the men’s field with a brisk time of 24:22, capturing the complete Frozen Foot Crown in the process. No women braved the wintery conditions Sunday but the following females won, or tied for first, during the previous three races: Marguerite Thomer ’01, Sarah Jay ’01, Loring Pfeiffer ’00, Christen Lungren ’00, Maria-Elena Young ’04, and Cathy Danh ’04.

2) World sports roundup

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed free-agent QB Brad Johnson to a $28 million contract Monday. The Bucs, who already have Shaun King and recently acquired Ryan Leaf, outbid the Baltimore Ravens to get Johnson.

Goalie Nikolai Khabibulin and defenseman Stan Neckar have been traded from the Phoenix Coyotes to the Tampa Bay Lightning for defenseman Paul Mara, wingers Mike Johnson and Ruslan Zaimullin and a second-round draft choice. Khabibulin, who had been involved in a contract dispute, has been holding out on the Coyotes for a year and a half at this point, and has not played in the NHL since the ’99 playoffs.

The Miami Heat beat the Detroit Pistons last night 87-84 but lost guard Eddie Jones to a dislocated shoulder when he attempted to steal the ball from Corliss Williamson midway through the second quarter. The long-term diagnosis for Jones, who is averaging 18.4 points per game, will be determined today.

3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:

Baseball vs. University of the Sciences, 3:15 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Hold a true friend with both your hands.” – Nigerian Proverb