Friday, February 23, 2001

Friday, February 23, 2001
Volume 5, Number 87

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Directing III students present Night of Scenes
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Badminton season finale postponed
2) World sports roundup
3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly cloudy and windy. High 43.
You know how they say that no two snowflakes are the same…

Tonight: Clear. Low 24.
And each one has its own “beautiful” and “unique” design?

Saturday: Partly cloudy with rain and snow late. Highs in the mid 40s.
Well, whoever said that must have lived in a tropical climate,

Sunday: Mostly cloudy with rain. Highs in the upper 50s.
Because when it snows like it does here, snowflakes get just a tad repetitive…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Crunchy cod, macaroni and cheese, *El’s black beans, cut green beans, stewed tomatoes
**Specialty salad bar

Dinner: Sweet and sour chicken, basmati rice, pasta saute, *stuffed peppers, broccoli, cut corn
**Taco bar

NEWS REPORT

In two performances this weekend entitled “Will Night Never Come,” directing students Kiran Rikhye ’02 and Jon Stancato ’02 will present scenes written by Tennessee Williams and Samuel Beckett in their first of two Directing III performances this semester.

Rikhye will present excerpts from Tennessee Williams’s “The Eccentricities of a Nightingale.” This piece examines the relationship between a sheltered, restless young man, recently returned from college, and his neighbor, an eccentric, lonely, yet endearing young woman who has been in love with him since childhood.

Set in Mississippi shortly before the first World War, “The Eccentricities of a Nightingale” explores the social forces and personal desires that act on people in powerful and sometimes uncontrollable ways. This work-in-progress features Adrienne Mackey ’04 and Steven Salter ’02.

Stancato will present excerpts from Samuel Beckett’s “Waiting for Godot.” When Beckett’s modern classic debuted in a run-down theater in Paris in the early fifties, it was a commercial flop. Word of mouth about the strange and seemingly plotless play soon transformed “Waiting for Godot” into a cultural event. When it finally came to New York, one critic described the play as a “mystery wrapped in an enigma.”

Stancato is grounding his company in the techniques of Vaudeville slapstick to get to the existentialist humor of Beckett. This work-in-progress features Jesse Taylor ’03, Felicia Leicht ’04, Danielle Kiefert ’04, and Hunter Wells ’02.

The two performances this weekend are Saturday at 8:00 p.m. and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. Both will be in the Frear Ensemble Theater in LPAC.

– Jeff Heckelman

2) World news roundup

Citing a great increase in aggression towards Western nations in the past year, British Prime Minister Tony Blair defended recent air-strikes against Iraq. The air-strikes, led by the U.S. military, are intended to deter Iraqi President Saddam Hussein from developing weapons of mass destruction. Commenting from Canada at a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Jean Cretien, Blair also declined to elaborate on Britain’s position regarding the United States’ plan to develop a new missile defense shield. Prime Minister Blair will continue his diplomatic visit with meetings with President Bush today.

Three members of the Bosnian Serb armed forces were found guilty of sexual crimes against several Muslim women on Thursday in a United Nations war crimes tribunal. The conviction is the first of its kind regarding crimes of sexual abuse and assualt in a wartime court. The presiding judge in the case, Florence Mumba, declared that the abuses were not exactly an act of war, but were nevertheless tools of torture used by army officers to demean Muslims on both sides of the conflict.

Jose Juarez Rosales, a suspect in the murders of over 200 women over the last decade, was arrested on Thursday by Dallas police. A number of the murders were related to illegal trafficking of drugs and guns, but many of the victims were maquiladora workers in nearby Cuidad Juarez, Mexico. Rosales’s sister claims that Jose Rosales is innocent and was previously apprehended and questioned regarding these murders, but was subsequently determined innocent and released.

3) Campus events

Today:

Appliance Day. Bring you appliances for the engineers to fix. Until 6 PM.
Hicks Mural Room 312, 1:00 p.m.

Collection: “Reflections” by Kathryn Morgan, Sara Lawrence Lightfoot, Professor Emerita of History
LPAC Cinema, 1:00 p.m.

“Education in Latin America” Discussion with Fernando Reimers
Kohlberg 116, 2:00 p.m.

“The Relationship Between Theoretical and Experimental Science” by Don Ivy, University of Toronto
Hicks Mural Room 312, 3:00 p.m.

“Redefining Soviet Femininity: Film Melodrama During World War Two and Beyond” by Alexander Prokhorov
Kohlberg 116, 4:30 p.m.

All-English Shabbat Service. Open to entire community. Dinner at 6:45 PM.
Bond Memorial Hall, 5:30 p.m.

Swarthmore Christian Fellowship Meeting
Kohlberg 115, 7:30 p.m.

International Club Movie Night
Kohlberg 116, 7:30 p.m.

Film: “Reservoir Dogs”
LPAC Cinema, 7:30 and 10:00 p.m.

“Stand by the River” Reservations suggested. Call 328-8200
Pearson-Hall Theatre – LPAC, 8:00 p.m.

WRC Coffeehouse
The WRC, 8:00 p.m.

Saturday:

Appliance Day. Until 5 PM.
Hicks Mural Room 312, 11 a.m.

“Looking at Objects, Seeing Culture” Art Department Symposium in Honor of the Retirement of Professor T. Kaori Kitao
LPAC Cinema, 2:00 p.m.

A Window on The Work by Jill Sigman
LPAC Dance Studio 2, 7:00 p.m.

“Take the Money and Run”
DuPont 161, 7:30 and 10:00 p.m.

Directing III First Night of Scenes
Frear Ensemble Theatre – LPAC, 8:00 p.m.

“From Roots to Revolution” by Students of the Philadelphia School for the Creative and Performing Arts
Pearson-Hall Theatre – LPAC, 8:00 p.m.

Oscar and Emily A Cappella Concert
Mephistos Lounge – Willets, 8:00 p.m.

Sunday:

Celebration of Mass
Bond Memorial Hall, 11:00 a.m.

Open Dance Class with Jill Sigman
Troy Dance Lab – LPAC, 1:00 p.m.

Directing III First Night of Scenes
Frear Ensemble Theatre – LPAC, 2:00 p.m.

Protestant Worship
Bond 2nd Floor Worship Room, 4:00 p.m.

A Capella Concert
Mephistos Lounge – Willets, 8:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Badminton season finale postponed

With the inclement weather yesterday, the badminton team’s final game of the PAIAW season at Albright was canceled. It has been rescheduled for Tuesday, the 27th, at 7:30 PM. The team is currently 7-0 and has clinched the league championship.

2) World sports roundup

An invited crowd of 2,500 and a national television audience said goodbye to fallen NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Sr. yesterday afternoon in a service at the Calvary Church in Charlotte. A number of drivers attended, including Earnhardt friend and competitor, Rusty Wallace. Wallace told the crowd that “God only created one Dale Earnhardt and no one will ever replace him, neither in our sport or in our hearts.”

Dikembe Mutumbo was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers yesterday to add size to the team as the playoffs loom ahead. The Atlanta Hawks received Theo Ratliff, Toni Kukoc, Nazr Mohammed and Pepe Sanchez while the Sixers also got Roshown McLeod.

June Jones, head coach for the University of Hawaii football team, was seriously injured yesterday when he drove his car into a concrete pillar on a freeway in Honolulu. Jones, who was an NFL quarterback and once coached the Atlanta Falcons, is listed in critical condition, though his doctors are optimistic.

3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Indoor Track at Haverford – Conference Championships, 5:30 p.m.

Saturday:

Indoor Track at Haverford – Conference Championships, 10:30 a.m.
Men’s Lacrosse at Mary Washington, 1:00 p.m.

Sunday:

There are no contests scheduled for Sunday.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“This planet is our home. If we destroy the planet, we’ve destroyed our home, so it is fundamentally important.” – H. Ross Perot