Monday, February 5, 2001

Monday, February 5, 2001
Volume 5, Number 73

EDITOR’S NOTE:

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to respond to our Reader Survey. Those who haven’t are still more than welcome to do so – if you deleted it you can fill it out on our web page.

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) The Slip to perform at Haverford this Thursday
2) PACES menu for this week
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Track competes at F&M
2) Swim team faces Dickinson
3) Women’s basketball falls to F&M
4) Men’s B-Ball downed by Diplomats
5) Intramural Scoreboard
6) World sports roundup
7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Rain until the afternoon. High about 40.
Did anybody get work done this weekend?

Tonight: Partially clear. Low in the upper 20s.
….

Tomorrow: Partly sunny. High 40 to 45.
Me neither.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken fingers, french fries, *Asian pasta, Tuscan bean bake, corn, carrots
**Nacho bar

Dinner: Chicken with spinach and feta, basmati rice, *tempeh with hoisin sauce, stuffed peppers, peas and carrots, vegetable blend
**Cheesesteak bar

NEWS REPORT

The Slip, a Boston based trio, will perform in Founders Great Hall at Haverford College this Thursday, Feb. 8. Doors will open at 9:15 p.m. for the 10:00 show; admission is free with a Tri-Co ID and tickets will be available at the door for guests at $7.00 each.

The Slip, according to Haverford spokesman Arendt Speser, “resists categorical definitions by combining many traditional styles with an improvisational force that makes a live performance a true event.”

The band’s web page, http://www.theslip.com/aboutslip.htm, touts it as “A band in a constant response to the muse of sound. With a grooving rhythm, a spelunking bass line or a hypnotic melody, a philosophy beyond the intellect is revealed and conveyed deeply to the individual listener and simultaneously unifies an audience. They have a vast array of songs to call upon and relay, the music naturally holding space to be opened further and further.”

– Jeff Heckelman

2) PACES menu for this week

Monday through Wednesday

Creamy butternut squash bisque Chili-roasted chicken w/ roasted garlic gravy Baked penne w/ turkey sausage, spinach, tomatoes, & mozzarella Gingered whole wheat bread w/ pineapple pear jam

Daily Dessert Specials

Monday: Flaky apple pie, peanut butter mousse cake (vegan)
Tuesday: Triple-ginger layer cake, pecan pie
Wednesday: Chocolate rum cake (vegan)

3) World news roundup

Meeting with 150 House Democrats at a private Pennsylvania retreat yesterday, President Bush outlined plans for a $1.6 trillion tax cut. Though the President experienced some strong opposition from those present, he told reporters that he was confident he could get enough bi-partisan support to pass the bill. The Bush administration maintains that a tax cut is necessary to prevent the gradually slowing American economy from slipping into a recession.

Israelis are getting ready for a nation-wide vote Tuesday to choose a prime minister. Former general Ariel Sharon, leader of the hawkish Likud party, has a strong lead over incumbent prime minister Ehud Barak. The vote will likely determine the future of the Middle East peace process, as Sharon has vowed to put down all Arab rebellions in contested territories, while ending the cession of Israeli land.

As “United States vs. Osama bin Laden” is about to get under way, the New York City courthouse where the case will be tried is being blanketed with high-security measures. The measures include metal barricades around the court site, as well as surveillance cameras placed strategically throughout the area. The trial involves four men accused of the Aug. 7, 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, that resulted in the deaths of 224 people.

4) Campus events

“Unraveling Forest Complexity: the Struggle for Life in the Understory”
by Dr. Jose-Luis Machado, Department of Forest Resources, University of Minnesota.
Kirby Lecture Hall, 4:15 p.m.

“The Politics of Deep-Focus and Deep-Space in Jean Renoir’s La Regle du Jeu and Ariane Mnouchkine and the Theatre du Soleil’s 1789”
by Dr. Francine Conley, University of Wisconsin Madison.
Kohlberg 328, 4:45 p.m.

Discussion on Activism & Academics with Prof. Thompson Bradley
Parrish Parlors, 7:30 p.m.

“The Expanding and Accelerating Universe” Sigma Xi Lecture
by Sean Carroll, University of Chicago.
Kirby Lecture Hall in Martin, 8:00 p.m.

Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

Movie: “Groundhog Day”
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Drama Board Open House
Parrish Parlor – East, 10:00 p.m.

Earthlust Meeting
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Track competes at F&M

Swat’s track and field teams attended Franklin & Marshall’s Indoor Invitational over the weekend and came away with some successful results. Imo Akpan ’02 finished 2nd and 6th, respectively, in the 400 and 200 meter races. Joko Agunloye ’01 finished second in the 3000 while Claire Hoverman ’03 finished fourth in the 1500. In the women’s field events, Jessica Rickabaugh ’02 placed ninth in the high jump and Clara Fuchsman ’01 was third in the shot put.

On the men’s side, Matt Williams ’04 finished 13th in the 55 meter high hurdles and Matt Rapoza ’03 was eighth in the shot put.

2) Swim teams face Dickinson

The women’s swim team defeated Dickinson on Saturday, 135-70. Krista Gigone ’04 was a triple winner, taking the 1000 free, 500 free, and swimming a leg on the winning 400 meter freestyle relay. Becca Howes-Mischel ’01 won the 200 backstroke and also swam a leg of the relay. The team is now 7-2 overall, and 4-2 in the Centennial Conference.

The men’s team fell to Dickinson in a close contest, 106-99. John Lillvis ’03 was a double winner with victories in the 200 IM and the 200 butterfly. The loss brings the team’s record to 3-5 overall, 2-3 in conference competition.

3) Women’s basketball falls to F&M

The women’s basketball team was narrowly defeated by the Franklin & Marshall Diplomats on Saturday, 70-63. Though leading by 11 at the half, Swarthmore was thoroughly outplayed in the second half, 45-27. Nevertheless, center Sarah Tufano ’03 had a monster game with 24 points and 10 rebounds. Gretchen Heitz ’04 added 11 points and five boards while Heather Kile ’02 chipped in eight points and 10 rebounds. The team’s Conference record of 8-2 is still good enough to put them two games in front of second-place Muhlenberg, which lost to Johns Hopkins over the weekend.

4) Men’s B-Ball downed by Diplomats

The men’s basketball team continued a trend set by their female counterparts Saturday, falling to F&M 65-53. David Pearce ’03 had a team-high 15 points in the losing effort, while Chris Loeffler ’04 added 11. The team’s record now stands at 3-16 overall and 2-7 in Conference action.

5) Intramural Scoreboard

IM SOCCER

I20 – 8
Team 1 – 3

Faculty – 5
FC Freshman – 3

Urubus no Cio F.C. – 11
Dana Buggers – 0

Maconheiros da Tijuca F.C. – 3
Succio Soccer Club – 3

COMPETITIVE BASKETBALL

Slow Moving Vehicles 41
DU Eye 35

Karma Police 33
Young Bucks 31

MMM DU 79
Al Bloom’s DU Boyz 57

NON-COMP BASKETBALL

Jeye Squad 51
Big Gay Asian Invasion 23

Jeye Squad 64
Team 3 46

DU Pigroast 29
Callaloo Club 27

Mothership Connection 36
Dana Buggers 27

6) World sports roundup

In the highest scoring All-Star game in NHL history, the North American team defeated the World squad 14-12. Bill Guerin, of the Bruins, notched a hat trick and two assists to take MVP honors. Mario Lemieux added a goal and an assist in his first All-Star competition since returning to hockey.

Completing the All-Star weekend was the NFL’s Pro Bowl in Hawaii, which saw the AFC crush the NFC, 38-17. Marvin Harrison and Tony Gonzalez both caught TD’s, while Raiders QB Rich Gannon was named MVP for amassing 144 passing yards in just two drives.

The New York Knicks defeated their rivals, the Miami Heat, 103-100 in a wild overtime contest on Sunday. In a game that saw a great deal of rough play between the athletes, singer Jimmy Buffett was actually ejected from his courtside seat by a referee for using profanity.

7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Men’s basketball at Drew, 7:00 p.m.
Women’s basketball at Bryn Mawr, 7:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Badminton vs. Albright, 7:30 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“We all get heavier as we get older because there’s a lot more information in our heads.” – Vlade Divac, NBA basketball player