Thursday, January 25, 2001

Thursday, January 25, 2001
Volume 5, Number 66

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) IT Student Associates to be hired
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s basketball makes history
2) Men’s basketball wins big against rival
3) Women’s swimming trounces Bryn Mawr
4) World sports roundup
5) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Chance of snow in the morning, then sunny. Highs in the upper 30s.
Never did really get around to going sledding.

Tonight: Clear. Lows in the upper teens.
Now I have two Sharples trays sitting in my room and I don’t know what to do with them.

Tomorrow: Sunny. Highs in the upper 30s.
I know! I know! I’ll write something clever and witty on them and put them back in Sharples!

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken pot pie, homemade bisquits, baked pasta with spinach, *vegetable ragout, spinach, vegetable blend
**Fajita bar

Dinner: Beef stroganoff, buttered noodles, garden burgers, *tofu creole, succotash, vegetable blend
**Patty-grilla bar

NEWS REPORT

1) IT Student Associates to be hired

Professors at Swarthmore, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr are working together to develop a Tri-College program to train and utilize Information Technology Student Associates.

Such students would work with faculty, professional staff, and library staff to better utilize and enhance information technology resources on campus.

Prof. Steve Maurer, Associate Provost for Information Technology, along with Prof. Doug Davis at Haverford and Prof. Jim Martin at Bryn Mawr, received a Mellon-3 Grant for the project, and plan on hiring a small group of students this semester to begin training.

“We want to make better use of the talent on these campuses,” Maurer said. At Swarthmore, Information Technology Services (ITS) currently hires students to work in the Help Desk and as dorm consultants, but Maurer feels they can be better used for help in developing technology resources for academic courses.

When researching the plan, Prof. Davis found that at some other schools there are programs where teams are formed consisting of a professor, a IT staff member, a library staff member, and a student. They work together to come up with the best way to incorporate software and web resources with the specific class.

Maurer said the student is the key to this team, because the other team members know much more about their specific areas than any of the others. The student is best able to bring the technology into the specific class.

“What I’m hopeful will work out is that individual students will start working with specific faculty members and departments,” Maurer said.

This is the sort of program Maurer has in mind for the future, but in order to get started, IT Student Associates need to be hired and trained. Applications can be found on the web at http://www2.haverford.edu/techplan/it.students.application.html and are due by 5:00 p.m. this Friday.

As of Wednesday, Maurer said they had already received 25 applications from Swarthmore and Haverford. They plan on hiring a small group of students to receive training and begin work this semester. Maurer hopes to hire a much larger group for a one-week joint Information Technology Student Training Camp during the summers of 2001 and 2002. The training period would either be at the beginning or the end of the summer.

– Jeff Heckelman

2) World news roundup

Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan will testify before the Senate Budget Committee on Thursday, and experts predict he will give at least a partial endorsement to President Bush’s proposed $1.6 trillion, 10-year tax-cut plan. Bush feels the tax relief, as well as a cut in interest rates, is needed to revive the economy, which has slowed in recent months.

After onetime political adversary John McCain thrust campaign finance reform at Bush during Wednesday’s meeting between the two, Bush is looking to shift attention back to education, which was his stated purpose of his first week in office.

As Israeli and Palestinian negotiators resumed contacts in Egypt after a two-day time-out, officials said Thursday that the two sides have made good progress in drawing the borders of a future Palestinian state.

Joao Fernandes, a member of the Merah Putih pro-Indonesian militia gang, convicted in September of 1999 of killing a pro-East Timor-independence activist, was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Thursday. The sentencing marked the first successful prosecution for the destruction of East Timor in 1999.

3) Campus events

Biology Ecology Candidate Talk
Kirby Lecture Hall, 4:15 p.m.

Public Policy Meeting
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Positive Alternatives in Chester (PAC) Information Meeting
Parrish Parlours, 8:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Women’s basketball makes history

The women’s basketball team tied a team record with their 14th win of the season in style, using their trademark balanced attack to defeat Haverford at home 65-38. Heather Kile ’02 led all scorers with 13 points and added four assists. Katie Robinson ’04 scored 12 points, pulled down five rebounds, and grabbed a game-high six steals. The team’s record is now 14-2, 6-1.

The men’s basketball team defeated Haverford 65-51, bringing their record to 3-13, 2-4. Josh Loeffler ’03 led the way with a career-high 17 points, 11 rebounds and four assists. Eran Ganot ’04 added 16 points and 8 boards.

3) Women’s swimming trounces Bryn Mawr

The women’s swimming team defeated Bryn Mawr on Wednesday 207-49, bringing their record to 6-1, 3-1. Swarthmore swept the meet, winning all the races. Lisa Ladewski ’02 won the 100 and 200 breast. Natalie Briones ’03 won the 500 breast and the 1000 free. Alice Bonarou ’02 won the 100 fly and the 200 IM. Tara Trout ’04 won the 100 and 200 back. Davita Burkhead-Weiner ’03 won the 200 butterfly. And Leah Davis ’04 won the 50 free, while Krista Gigone ’04 took the 100 free.

4) World sports roundup

A resurgent Jennifer Capriati upset defending-champion Lindsay Davenport to reach her first Grand Slam final. In the other Australian Open semifinal match, Martina Hingis demolished Venus Williams 6-1, 6-1. …Allen Iversen scored 32 points to lead the 76’ers to an 85-84 overtime win in Houston. It was Philly’s 12th straight road win. …Mario Lemieux added to his remarkable list of achievements since un-retiring from hockey, scoring a hat trick to lead the Penguins to a 3-1 win over Montreal. Lemieux’s 40 career hat tricks are second only to Wayne Gretzky, who had 50.

5) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Badminton vs. Haverford, 7:30 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Men’s Indoor Track at Boston U. Terrier Classic, TBA
Women’s Indoor Track at Boston U. Terrier Classic, TBA

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“If the rat would tell us, ‘Yes, I was dreaming about running around the track,’ then we’d have it nailed down,” -Robert Stickgold, assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, questioning claims of MIT scientists who say rats dream about mazes.