Tuesday, October 24, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Tuesday, October 24, 2000
Volume 5, Number 27

We know you’ve got plenty to say – speak up! gazette-management@student-publications.swarthmore.edu

The Daily Gazette Web Site. Now with LIVE Updates 24 Hours A Day.
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) San Francisco Mime Troupe to perform
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events for the week

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.
In deference to tonight’s performance by the San Francisco Mime Troupe, today’s joke will be in mime.

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s.
”                                                                 “

Tomorrow: Some sun. Highs in the upper 60s.
What’s that? You’re laughing in mime?

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Beef stew, cornbread, *broccoli-mushroom stir-fry, spinach crepes, corn, brussel sprouts
**Falafel bar

Dinner: Fresh fish, couscous, bow tie pasta, *mushroom medley with spinach, broccoli, vegetable blend
**Chicken patty bar

NEWS REPORT

1) San Francisco Mime Troupe to perform

Tonight, in a special program sponsored in part by the William J. Cooper Foundation, the San Francisco Mime Troupe will perform their critically acclaimed work entitled “City for Sale.”

The troupe combines political comedy with an original jazz score to explain how profit-motivated corporate and political speculation undermines the community in both urban and rural neighborhoods. The San Francisco Mime Troupe is famous not only for its entertaining musical performances, but also for its strongly progressive political messages. 

Since 1968, Swarthmore College has enjoyed a working association with the Mime Troupe fostered by the group’s commitment to peace, justice and positive social change. Throughout the Troupe’s several residencies at the College, at least 11 current or former Swarthmore students have either interned or worked professionally for the group.

The proposal was brought to the Cooper Foundation by Ursula Neuerburg Denzer of the Theatre Studies department, with additional support by the Alumni Relations Office, the English Literature Department, and the Dance Program as well as outside funding from the Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts Regional Touring Program.

The pre-show music will begin tonight at 7:30 p.m. in LPAC. Admission to the show is free and open to the public, but reservations are required. Currently, the reservation list is full, but anyone still interested in attending should come to LPAC at 7:00 p.m. Any extra tickets will be handed out on a first-come, first-served basis.

– Kim Lucas

2) World news roundup

On the first day of a two-day visit to North Korea, U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright met with national leader Kim Jong Il to lay out the beginning of an improved relationship between the two countries. Albright, the first Secretary of State to visit the Communist nation, talked with Kim about the possibility of a visit by President Clinton later this year. Also, issues of nuclear testing were discussed, including the prospect of an agreement by North Korea to end such tests in return for full diplomatic relations with the US.

The Philippine House of Representatives began the process of impeaching President Joseph Estrada yesterday by scheduling a
hearing into the course of this week’s session. Estrada, who has been charged with allowing corruption of the government by gambling influences, would have to be tried by the Senate before he could removed from office. However, since his ruling coalition controls a majority of the seats in Congress, such an action may prove difficult.

The national standard for drunken driving was lowered Monday when President Clinton signed a bill that reduced the allowable blood-alcohol content to .08. Previously at .1 (though lower in many states), the law is expected to save approximately 500
lives a year, although the hospitality and alcohol industries had argued that the new legislation would unfairly punish social drinkers without targeting the real problem of alcohol abuse. The new standard translate into about 4 drinks in an hour for a 170-lb man and 3 in an hour for a 137-lb woman.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak meets with opposition leaders today regarding the establishment of a coalition government. One of the major issues sure to face the new government is the possibility of building a physical border between Israeli and Palestinian settlements in Gaza Strip and the West Bank. As PLO leader Yasser Arafat contemplates declaring an independent Palestinian state, Israel is considering erecting a massive dividing barrier to separate the two conflicting peoples in the absence of peace talks.

3) Campus events

American Red Cross Blood Drive, Faculty/Staff Donors
Upper Tarble, 7:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.

American Red Cross Blood Drive, Student Donors
Upper Tarble, 1:00 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.

Lecture/Demonstration with The San Francisco Mime Troupe
Frear Ensemble Theatre, 4:15 p.m.

“Politics of Water” Film and Discussion Series on Water and the American West
Kirby Lecture Hall, 4:30 p.m.

BOTTA Capital Management Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Movie: “W. E. B. Du Bois: A Biography in Four Voices”
Kohlberg 226, 7:00 p.m.

Film and Discussion About Animal Rights, the Environment, and Food Choices
Trotter 303, 7:00 p.m.

Swarthbucklers Fencing Practice
Upper Tarble, 7:30 p.m.

San Francisco Mime Troupe: “City for Sale”
Pearson-Hall Theatre, 8:00 p.m.

Italian Movie: “Volere Volare”
Kohlberg 330, 8:00 p.m.

Ballroom and Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

Deadline for submission to Small Craft Warnings
Send poetry/prose to submit-scw@sccs.swarthmore.edu

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

The commissioner’s office launched an investigation into the Roger Clemens-Mike Piazza incident yesterday. The incident, which occurred in the first inning of Game 2 of the World Series, played Sunday, involved Clemens picking up a piece of the bat which Piazza had just broken and tossing it at the Mets’ catcher. During the game, head umpire Ed Montague decided that the event was accidental and it did not result in any ejections. However, the benches of the two teams did clear briefly, hearkening back to the July game when Clemens beaned Piazza in the helmet… The Philadelphia 76ers lost Speedy Claxton for the season Sunday. Claxton, who was the team’s number 1 draft pick this year, had been excelling at the point guard position prior to tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in the exhibition game against the Utah Jazz… Boxer Andrew Golota, who had been criticized throughout the pugilistic community following his decision to resign from a Saturday fight against Mike Tyson in the 2nd round, was revealed to have suffered severe injuries during the match. Despite returning to his home after the fight, Golota later discovered that he had a broken cheekbone and a herniated disk in his neck, which possibly could have led to paralysis had he not quit. Golota’s most vocal critic, trainer Al Certo, apologized to the fighter upon learning of the injuries.

2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Field Hockey hosts Haverford, 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Men’s Soccer at Washington, 3:00 p.m.
Volleyball at Haverford, 7:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of boy next to me.” – Woody Allen