Monday, October 23, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Monday, October 23, 2000
Volume 5, Number 26

We know you’ve got plenty to say – speak up! gazette-management@student-publications.swarthmore.edu

Visit the Daily Gazette web site at http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events for the week

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Field Hockey victorious
2) Joko wins, team doesn’t
3) Football drops third straight
4) Women’s soccer hammered
5) Volleyball swept twice
6) Soccer drops another
7) Fall Break results
8) World sports roundup
9) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Very, very sunny. Highs in the lower 60s.
The Weather Channel reports “abundant sunshine” for today.

Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 30s.
So break out the shades…

Tomorrow: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.
We don’t need no stinkin’ ozone layer.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Ravioli with marinara sauce, crusty foccacia, *tempeh stir fry with broccoli and red bell peppers, spinach, zucchini
**Seafood bar

Dinner: Paella with shrimp, sausage and chicken, Basmati rice, Mexican lasagna, *El’s black beans, baby carrots, cauliflower
**Burger bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

With the cease-fire called during last week’s Arab-Israeli peace summit merely a memory, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak called for a peace “time-out” and Yasser Arafat responded by telling him to “go to hell.” The violence in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip that U.S. and Egyptian sponsors have tried so hard to quell has shown no signs of abating.

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright opened a historic visit to North Korea on Monday, hoping to use the two-day visit to advance her goal of a tension-free Northeast Asia for the first time in decades and to lay the groundwork for a visit by President Clinton, possibly as early as next month.

As the presidential campaign enters the final stretch, George W. Bush maintains a small lead over Al Gore in most non-scientific opinion polls, though in most the difference is smaller than the margin for error.

A congressional review has found that thirteen government agencies are secretly using technology that tracks the Internet habits of people visiting their Web sites, and in at least one case provides the information to a private company. Earlier this year, the White House Office of Management and Budget advised all federal agencies that they are not allowed to use “cookies” without approval from the agency head.

Piscataway High School in Piscataway, New Jersey, took the advice of psychologists and set boundaries for homework assignments. Homework is limited to 30 minutes in grades one to three, and teachers in all grades are discouraged from making weekend assignments. Overall, they recommend ten minutes worth of homework for each grade level. Nationwide, children ages 3 to 11 spent an average of two hours and seven minutes studying at home each week in 1997 – up about 50 percent from 1981, according to a University of Michigan study released last year.

2) Campus events

Blackstone Group Information System
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Mystic Seaport – Information Session
Kohlberg 334, 7:00 p.m.

Ballroom and Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: “Dark Star”
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Earthlust Meeting
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Field Hockey victorious

The field hockey team wrapped up a good week with a 3-2 win at Villa Julie. Meg Woodworth ’03 scored two goals and Kristen English ’01 scored on a penalty stroke. The team’s record is now 12-5, 6-2.

2) Joko wins, team doesn’t

The women’s cross country team competed in the Seven Sisters Tournament at Vassar on Saturday. Joko Agunloye ’01 won the race in 18:09.53, but the team finished sixth out of seven teams overall. Alyssa Parmelee ’01 finished 26th for the Garnet.

3) Football drops third straight

The football team lost to Dickinson 30-13 Saturday. Dickinson led at halftime 7-0. Early in the third quarter, Ken Clark ’03 ran in a four yard touchdown to make it 7-6. After Dickinson scored a few more times, Clark rushed in from one yard out with eight minutes left to make it 20-13, but Dickinson intercepted a pass from Scott Murray ’01 late in the game and returned it for the game winning touchdown. The Garnet Tide’s record fell to 2-4, 1-4 with the loss.

4) Women’s soccer hammered

The women’s soccer team lost to Gettysburg 8-2 Saturday. Jackie Kahn ’04 scored to make it 1-1 at halftime, but in the second half Swat was out-shot 7-1. Heather Marandola ’01 scored the only second half goal for the Garnet, as their record dropped to 4-11, 1-8 on the season.

5) Volleyball swept twice

The volleyball team got swept by both Ursinus (8-15, 11-15, 4-15) and Western Maryland (10-15, 8-15, 4-15) Saturday. Bryn Rosenfeld ’03 had 14 kills against Ursinus and Emma Benn ’04 had six kills against Western Maryland. The team’s record is now 9-17, 3-6.

6) Soccer drops another

The men’s soccer tam lost to Franklin & Marshall 3-0 Saturday. The team’s record is now 3-9, 0-6.

7) Fall Break results

While you were gone…

Field Hockey

Saturday, 10/14 – Defeated Neumann 7-1
Tuesday, 10/17 – Defeated Bryn Mawr 2-0
Thursday, 10/19 – Lost to Rowan 2-1

Men’s Cross Country

Saturday, 10/14 – at Allentown Invitational – 11th of 28 teams.

Men’s Soccer

Saturday, 10/14 – Lost to Gettysburg 3-0.

Women’s Soccer

Saturday, 10/14 – Lost to Franklin & Marshall 2-0
Wednesday, 10/18 – Lost to Muhlenberg 2-0

Volleyball

Saturday/Sunday, 10/14-10/15 – Seven Sisters at Smith (7th place)
Saturday, 10/14 – Lost to Wellesley 3-0 (2-15, 5-15, 6-15)
Saturday, 10/14 – Lost to Vassar 3-2 (15-13, 7-15, 7-15, 15-7, 13-15)
Sunday, 10/15 – Defeated Bryn Mawr 3-1 (9-15, 15-2, 15-2, 15-7)
Tuesday, 10/17 – Lost to Wilmington 3-1 (15-11, 6-15, 10-15, 7-15)
Wednesday, 10/18 – Defeated Lancaster Bible W 3-0 (15-7, 16-14, 15-8)
Wednesday, 10/19 – Defeated Villa Julie 3-1 (12-15, 15-10, 15-8, 15-9)

8) World sports roundup

The Yankees took a 2-0 lead over the Mets in the Subway Series Sunday night. Behind eight shutout innings of two-hit ball from Roger Clemens, the Yankees led 6-0 going into the top of the ninth inning. But the Mets came back with homers from Mike Piazza and Jay Payton to cut the lead to 6-5, but the Yankees held on for the victory. The series shifts boroughs for Tuesday night’s game 3 at Shea Stadium. …The Rams finally lost, and they lost big, dropping a 54-34 contest to Kansas City. Adding injury to insult, St. Louis will be without the services of quarterback Kurt Warner for 4-6 weeks.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:

Field Hockey hosts Haverford, 4:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Jake liked his women the way he liked his kiwi fruit: sweet yet tart, firm-fleshed yet yielding to the touch, and covered with short brown fuzzy hair.” – Jonathan S. Haas, author