Wednesday, September 20, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Wednesday, September 20, 2000
Volume 5, Number 10

Take our latest poll!
Visit the Daily Gazette web site at
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) WSRN kicks off new season
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s tennis crushes West Chester
2) Women’s soccer rained out
3) World sports roundup
4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Getting sunnier and warmer. Highs in the mid 80s.
I’ll have you know that thinking of something to write here kept me up an extra hour, so you’d better appreciate it.

Tonight: Clear. Lows in the mid 60s.
No, you don’t have to pretend – I know you’d rather I just stop writing these stupid comments altogether.

Tomorrow: Partly sunny – maybe a little midday rain. Highs near 80.
So I’ll keep doing it – just to spite you, dear reader.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch:

French bread pizza, crinkle cut fries, *tuscan bean bake, succotash, peas
**Greek bar

Dinner: 

Grilled strip steak, duchess potatoes, pasta with sauce, *wild rice with cranberries and pecans, asparagus, corn on the cob
**Pasta bar

NEWS REPORT

1) WSRN kicks off new season

This Monday, the Swarthmore College radio station, WSRN, went on the air live to start off its programming for the Fall ’00 semester. The station, which is located at 91.5 on your FM dial, broadcasts a variety of student-run shows spanning a wide range of musical styles.

Programming for this semester will also include a number of talk shows on topics like sports and the concerns of international students at Swat, says WSRN’s general manager Ian Huntington ’01.

The station broadcasts every day from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on some nights as late as 4:00 a.m. As of now, the station has a 100-watt signal which reaches from the broadcasting location on top of Parrish to just outside of Philadelphia.

According to station co-director Nii Addy ’01, WSRN hopes to soon make its coverage area worldwide by including streaming audio feed and web casts on its website, www.wsrn.swarthmore.edu. The streaming audio feed will be accessible using either Real Player or Windows Media Player, Addy says.

The audio feed has not been added to the website yet because a separate license is required for web casting and there is still some paperwork to be shuffled, but Huntington hopes that sometime this semester your mom will be able to tune in to your show.

In the meantime, you can tune into WSRN the old-fashioned way, and Huntington says that if you do, you are sure to have an interesting experience. “I think the DJ’s provide a great service to the college by exposing people to new music that they might never have encountered or heard of before,” he said.

But if you do want some idea of what you’re going to be listening to before you tune in, or if you’re looking for the time of a particular show, full programming schedules will be posted on the WSRN website later this week.

– Karla Gilbride

2) World news roundup

A small Cuban plane crashed into the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, killing one passenger and leaving nine more scattered amongst debris until the were rescued by a cargo ship. Havana air-traffic control said a hijacking was reported on the aircraft before the crash, but officials said nothing has been confirmed yet.

President Joseph Estrada said Wednesday that two French television journalists held by Muslim rebels in the southern Philippines have been rescued unharmed.

A federally created commission studying online child protection is considering recommendations to Congress. The committee has offered possibilities such as introducing new domain categories such as “.kids” for kid-friendly content, and “.xxx” for adult material, but there are problems involving privacy and free speech issues that need to be worked out.

Two weeks after Al Gore appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show, George W. Bush took his turn in an attempt to court undecided women voters. Bush talked about giving up alcohol, his dream of being President, and his relationship with his father. He also gave Oprah the kiss Gore neglected to give her two weeks earlier.

3) Campus events

Yearbook Hall Photos
Parrish Parlors, 8:00 – 11:30 p.m.

Film Society Screening
DuPont 161, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Women’s tennis crushes West Chester

The women’s tennis hosted West Chester, and won 7-2, raising their record to 1-1 on the season. Anjani Reddy ’04 won #1 singles, Caroline Celano ’04 won #2 singles, Kristina Pao ’04 won #3 singles, and Stephanie Girondi ’04 took #6 singles. The doubles teams of Jen Pao ’01/Laura Swerdlow ’02, Reddy/Celano, and Kristina Pao/Katherine Voll ’03 were all victorious.

2) Women’s soccer rained out

The women’s soccer team’s match at Bryn Mawr was rescheduled for October 2nd.

3) World sports roundup

The Braves scored seven runs in the second inning on their way to beating the Mets 12-4, increasing their lead in the NL East to five games. …The Philadelphia Daily News reported Tuesday that the FBI investigated Wilt Chamberlain in the late 1960s because of rumors that the basketball great was fixing games. …The IOC said Wednesday that it had taken away the silver medal in the 56-kilogram (123-pound) weightlifting class from Bulgarian Ivan Ivanov, who tested positive for furosemide, a diuretic. …American Lenny Krayzelburg, who already has one gold medal to his credit, set an Olympic record in preliminaries of the 200-meter backstroke with a time of 1 minute, 58.40 seconds.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY

Men’s soccer vs. Gwynedd Mercy, 4:00 p.m.
Volleyball at Washington, 7:00 p.m.

TOMORROW

Field hockey at Lebanon Valley, 4:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Sex is like bridge: If you don’t have a good partner, you better have a good hand.” – Charles Pierce