Tuesday, September 19, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Tuesday, September 19, 2000
Volume 5, Number 9

Visit the Daily Gazette web site at
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Breezy with showers. Highs in the lower 70s.
Hey, have you checked out the Horoscopes on the Daily Gazette website yet?

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, possible showers. Lows around 60.
I hear that Madame Crazilina is one totally hot babe…

Tomorrow: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s.
Well, at least as far as one-armed, chain-smoking, nymphomaniac gypsies go.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Beef stew, cornbread, *broccoli-mushroom stir-fry, spinach crepes, corn, brussel sprouts
**Falafel bar

Dinner: Fresh fish, couscous, bow tie pasta, *mushroom medley with spinach, broccoli, vegetable blend
**Chicken patty bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

The political scandal in Peru raged on yesterday as Vladimiro Montesinos, the nation’s chief of security, was arrested on charges of bribery. This was just the latest in a series of accusations of rampant corruption in the highest level of government, culmininating with President Alberto Fujimori’s call for new elections last week.

The Wen Ho Lee fiasco prompted a number of Asian-American groups to use yesterday’s previously-scheduled meeting with the White House to raise questions of racial profiling in the prosecution of the recently vindicated nuclear scientist. Leaders demanded complete disclosure of any documentation related to racial targeting and pressed for an in-depth investigation into the matter.

Presidential candidate George W. Bush moved his campaign’s focus towards middle class issues today in attempt to regain popular momentum after a few weeks with little progress. Emphasized in this new push was a promise of substantial tax cuts for middle class families with  a guarantee of rates below 25% of a household’s income. Bush aides explained the tactic as being within the campaign’s slogan of “real plans for real people.”

2) Campus events

Cadillac Desert – Creating the Most Deluxe Desert in the World
Kirby Lecture Hall, 4:30 p.m.

Career Workshop
Trotter 301, 7:00 p.m.

Hall Yearbook Photos
Parrish Parlors, 7:45 p.m.

Ballroom and Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

Ukrainian-born American swimmer Lenny Krayzelburg took the 100-m backstroke gold and 16 year-old Megan Quann won the 100-m breaststroke as Americans romped in the pool on Monday. Meanwhile, hometown hero Ian Thorpe, “The Thorpedo,” proved mortal in only taking the silver in the 200-m freestyle. …The Chinese men’s gymnastic team overcame past failures to win the first team gold in their country’s illustrious gymnastic history. The Americans, however, were forced to settle for a disappointing 5th place despite high expectations. …Future Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice announced that he would not retire after this season, putting pending induction ceremonies on an indefinite hold. However, in deference to the development of the 49ers young receivers, he suggested that he will probably not be back in San Francisco.

2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY

Women’s tennis vs. West Chester, 3:30 p.m.
Women’s soccer at Bryn Mawr, 4:00 p.m.

TOMORROW

Men’s soccer vs. Gwynedd Mercy, 4:00 p.m.
Volleyball at Washington, 7:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Don’t let your studies interfere with your education.” – Henry Rutgers