Athlete of the Week: Aiden Tomov ’23

Aiden Tomov, a junior from Haverford, PA, contributed to the success of the Swarthmore men’s track & field team at the Frank Colden Invitational in Collegeville, PA, this past weekend. Tomov took first place in the 800-meter run and was part of the men’s 4×400-meter relay team that also finished in first place.  The Swarthmore men’s track & field team competes next at the Keogh Invitational in Haverford, PA, on Feb. 19. 

Asha Bhuiyan: What is your major and why?

Aiden Tomov: Engineering because I enjoy problem solving. It’s also a very hands-on field which is something I value.

AB: Why did you choose Swarthmore?

AT: I liked that I could study engineering here without it limiting my academic path too much. I was also motivated by the fact that Coach Pete was so enthusiastic about having me on the team. The coaches at other schools that I had spoken to seemed apathetic about taking me on. It was uplifting to feel wanted by a program.

AB: What has been your most memorable moment of the season so far?

AT: It snowed a couple weekends ago, so I went out to the track to see if it had been cleared for our workouts. When I got there, I saw Coach Pete, alone with a shovel, trying to clear the track for us. Seeing how dedicated he is to our safety and success reminded me of how special the program he has created for us is.

AB: What are your goals for the rest of the season?

AT: I have both personal and team goals. Personally, I would like to achieve a new fastest time for the mile. For the team, I want everyone to have a fun, healthy season. We all work really hard, and I want to see it pay off for everyone in meaningful ways (whatever that looks like).

AB: What has your experience been like competing on both the cross country and track & field teams?

AT: It’s been everything. Having running as an outlet keeps me grounded, especially with all the work they give us here. Also, my teammates and coaches make such a big difference in my life. Interacting with them each day is special. I’m super grateful for being a part of XC and T&F.

AB: What is your favorite class you’ve taken at Swarthmore?

AT: I think “Intro to College Writing” with Prof. Mera Ford or E12 with Prof. Cheever. Both classes and professors challenged me to reconsider my perceptions of myself, my abilities, and my interests.