Women’s Tennis Posts Fourth Win, Men’s Lacrosse Drops Second Conference Game, Baseball Extends Win Streak to Three

Women’s Tennis

With their second shutout of the season Wednesday afternoon against Muhlenberg College, the Swarthmore women’s tennis team remains undefeated in Centennial Conference play, with an outstanding 4-1, 2-0 record.

The Garnet dropped only one set yesterday, and swept all three doubles matches. Most notably, Lia Carlson ’14 and Emily Rosenblum ’13 rallied from a 7-4 deficit to ultimately take the 9-7 victory for No. 1 doubles. No. 2 pair Brooke Wilkins ’14 and Katie Samualson ’14 combined for an 8-2 win, and No. 3 pair Kelsey Johnson ’13 and Jackie Lane ’16 completed the doubles sweet with a 8-4 win.

Carlson, Rosemblum, Johnson, and Lane all posted double wins, with victories in singles. Stephanie Chia ’13 and Gayatri Iyengar ’15 rounded out the afternoon with two more victories to close out the Mules.

The Garnet travel to Mary Washington next, on Friday afternoon. The game is set to start at 4 p.m. Conference competition picks up again on April 3, against Washington College.

Men’s Lacrosse

Against a fiery Muhlenberg College Wednesday afternoon, the Swarthmore men’s lacrosse team dropped their second Centennial Conference game 15-6, now posting a 2-5, 1-1 record.

Despite opening on a strong note, with two goals from Andrew Preiser ’14 within the first eight minutes of the game, the Mules stormed back to score twelve unanswered goals by the end of the half. The Garnet responded with four goals in the second half from Ian Lukaszewicz ’14, Steve Selverian ’13, Mac Maquire ’16, and Chris Thomson ’15. However, a dominant Muhlenberg offense proved to be a difficult barrier to overcome, as they scored an additional three goals to seal the match. Jon Cohen ’14 finished the game with nine saves to lead the Garnet defense.

The Garnet travel to Elmira next, on Saturday afternoon. First draw is set to start at 1 p.m. Conference competition picks up again on April 6, against Gettysburg at Clothier Field.

Baseball

Riding a three-game winning streak, the Swarthmore baseball team boosted their record to 11-6 with a 4-2 win against Penn St. Abington on Wednesday afternoon.

Ramsey Walker ’13 pitched a complete game, allowing only two runs out of eleven hits. The Garnet struck early in the top of the first with an infield from Joe Rizzo ’15. However, the Nittany Lions responded with two runs of their own in the bottom of the inning, and remained ahead until the fifth inning. A single from Cody Ruben ’14 and a fly from Rory McTear ’13 put Swarthmore back in the lead. In the seventh inning, Nick Constantino ’14 brought home the final run off of a single from Ruben.

The Garnet open Centennial Conference play this Saturday, against Dickinson. The game is set to start at 12:30 p.m. at Clothier Field.