Week in Sports: Men’s Lacrosse Team Starts Off Season With a Win

Women’s Indoor Track

On Saturday, sophomore Kenyetta Givans earned two gold medals to lead the Swarthmore women’s indoor track team to a seventh place finish at the Centennial Conference Championships.

Givans took first place in the 55m hurdles (8.44) and the 55 meter dash (7.47). Her 55m hurdles performance broke the school record and earned her an NCAA provisional time.

The women’s 4×800 relay team of senior Lauren DeLuca, senior Mariel Feigen, sophomore Margaret Lenfest, and freshman Rebecca Hammond earned a second place finish with a school-record time of 9:41.47.

Men’s Indoor Track

The men’s indoor track team earned eighth place in the Centennial Conference Championships behind the fourth-place finish of Daniel Ly ’12 in the men’s triple jump (43’7.75”).

Ly’s jump was a season best. The Swarthmore men also earned points in the 4×800 relay. Senior Andrew Van Buren and his freshman teammates Brian King, Cary Chester, and Dan Stuart placed seventh in a time of 8:32.22.

Lacrosse

The Swarthmore College men’s lacrosse team (1-0) got its season off to a winning start by defeating Eastern (0-1) 8-2 on Saturday night at Clothier Field.

Senior Tyler Bradshaw and sophomore Zach Belden led the Garnet attack with two goals apiece, while Gavin Musynske ‘10, Anthony Phalen ‘10, John Bukawyn ‘12 and Wes Marcik ’13 also added goals.

Goalkeeper Kevin Freidenberg ’10 made 13 saves and fellow senior captain Max Wilson ’10 led the defense to cause three turnovers as part of a stifling Swarthmore defensive performance.

The Garnet led Eastern in ground balls (25-19) and shot attempts (36-27).

Women’s Tennis

The Swarthmore women’s tennis team (2-0) defeated Oberlin College (3-4) at the Mullan Center 8-1 on Sunday.

The Garnet women went unbeaten in doubles action to maintain their perfect start to the season. Senior Rachel Wallwork, freshman Emily Rosenblum, sophomore Rosie DuBrin, and freshmen Kelsey Johnson and Stephanie Chia all recorded singles victories in straight sets.