Week in Sports: Tennis Starts Season with Wins

Women’s Tennis

The Swarthmore College women’s tennis team (1-0) got its season off to a winning start on Saturday by beating NYU (0-3) 5-4 at the Mullan Center.

Senior Rachel Wallwork’s 6-3, 7-5 singles victory began the match on the right foot for the Garnet. Sophomore Rosie DuBrin and freshman Stephanie Chia matched Wallwork in securing Swarthmore victories in both their singles and doubles matches. In the doubles action, Wallwork was partnered by freshman Emily Rosenblum, while DuBrin and Chia played together.

Men’s Tennis

The Swarthmore men’s tennis team (1-1) began its home season by easily dispatching NYU 9-0.

Sophomores Zak Kelm, Steven Youngblood, and Max Bressman along with junior Mark Wee all recorded singles victories in straight sets. In No. 5 and No. 6 singles, two freshmen, Malik Mubeen and Seth Udelson marked their first collegiate matches with victories.

Men’s Basketball

On Senior Day at Tarble Pavilion, the Swarthmore College men’s basketball team (7-18, 6-12 CC) fell to Haverford 71-48.

After leading for periods of the first half, the Garnet were down by just one point at halftime, but they went cold from the field in the second half as the visitors outscored them 41-19 after the break. Swarthmore finished the game shooting 26.7 percent for the game.

Freshman Will Gates scored a game-high 21 points to finish the season with an impressive 16.1 ppg scoring average. Fellow rookie Jordan Martinez added nine points and six assists, while sophomore Marc Rogalski had 10 rebounds off the bench.

Seniors Matt Allen and Danny Walker combined for seven points and were applauded for their careers by a boisterous Swarthmore crowd.

Women’s Basketball

On Saturday afternoon, the Swarthmore women’s basketball team (12-13, 9-11 CC) defeated visiting Haverford 63-50.

The Garnet overcame a three-point halftime deficit with an impressive 15-2 second half run. The victory gave Swarthmore a 44-14 lead in the all-time series against their rivals.

Junior Ceylan Bodur scored 25 points on 10 of 19 shooting, while her classmate, All-American candidate Kathryn Stockbower, added 17 points and 12 rebounds. The performance was the 64th career double-double for Stockbower and pushed her into second place on the College’s all-time rebounds list (1,013).

Seniors Pam Costello and Lisa Schumacher played their final games for the Garnet.