Volleyball Defeats Muhlenberg 3-1, Advances to Conference Semifinals; Women’s Soccer Loses 2-1 to Dickinson

Kirsten Peterson '11 beats her defender at Wednesday night's game against Dickinson. Photos by Allie Lee.
Alexa Ross '13 settles the ball at her feet.
Ariana Spiegel '13 steals the ball from Dickinson's leading goal scorer, Hannah Richardson.
Genny Pezzola '12 spikes at Wednesday's volleyball game against Muhlenberg.
Allie Coleman '13 sets the ball.
Kat Montemurro '13 led the team in game kills, racking up 19 throughout the course of the game.

On Wednesday night, two women’s teams played conference opening games on Swarthmore’s campus. The Garnet Women’s Soccer team lost 2-1 to Dickinson after tying into double overtime. Swarthmore Volleyball defeated Muhlenberg 3-1 and advances to the semifinals, where they’ll play Haverford at Haverford on Saturday.

Women’s Soccer

Dickinson Women’s Soccer beat Swat 2-1 after the teams tied into double overtime Wednesday at Clothier Field. This game was the opening round of the 2009 Centennial Conference.

The Garnet kept possession of the ball for the first 20 minutes of the game, with striker Kelsey Cline ’11 scoring the first goal in the 29th minute. The rest of the game was well played by both teams, and they battled fiercely for a spot in the Conference semifinals. In the 54th minute, Dickinson’s Ashley Kunkle tied the game at 1-1.

The crowd became wilder and louder as the game moved into overtime and then double overtime with the score locked at 1-1. Remaining tied after double overtime, the teams began a series of penalty kicks to determine the winner. The teams made 4 successful penalty kicks each, but eventually, a shot by midfielder/forward Julia Luongo ’11 was stopped by an excellent save by Dickinson goalkeeper Kailyn Hartmann. This brought Dickinson’s score up to 2-1 and allowed them to win the game.

“It was really disappointing to lose, especially on PKs [penalty kicks]. But hopefully we’ll go to ECACs and win,” said forward Emily Coleman ’12.

Women’s Volleyball

Last night in Tarble Pavillion, the No. 4 seed Garnet Volleyball (18-9, 6-4 Centennial Conference) defeated No. 5 seed Muhlenberg for their first ever Conference playoff win with a final score of 3-1.

Swarthmore lost the first set 25-15 but responded by winning the next three sets 25-20, 25-12, and 25-18. Kat Montemurro ’13 stepped up to finish set two with three straight aces and ended the game with a team-leading 19 kills. Genny Pezzola ‘12 hit 14 kills, the second most of the game, and now holds the new single season kills record with 372. Defense also played a strong role during the game. Muhlenberg was kept at just 14 kills in the third and fourth sets, and Swarthmore came out with an impressive 89 digs.

Swarthmore Volleyball advances to the semifinals, where they’ll be playing Haverford College away on Saturday afternoon at 12PM.