Weekend Roundup: Arts & Culture Week in Philly

This week is Arts & Culture Week in Philadelphia, meaning lots of cheap or even free entertainment in the city. Many prominent organizations are offering half price tickets, such as the wonderful Philadelphia Museum of Art, where tickets are only $6. Other events: the Johannes Quartet plays at the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater at 8:00 tonight, bringing Mozart’s popular Quartet K. 464 in A major, the fifth of the six so-called Haydn quartets that Mozart sent to his fellow master. Schubert’s Quartet in D minor, the tense, dramatic and exciting “Death and the Maiden” is also on the program. Tonight is also Gallery Night, which includes a number of venues throughout Center City, many with special exhibitions and free cocktails. Check http://www.phillyfunguide.com for more events or to order tickets.

If you’re feeling the Halloween spirit and just can’t wait for next weekend, you might want to head to the Academy of Natural Sciences displays their “Morgan Grisly’s Magnificent Museum of Morbid Monstrosities.” That’s right, a haunted house in a museum including an awful lot of anatomical oddies such as a two-headed calf and a twenty foot tapeworm that used to reside in a 18th century person. There are plenty of traditional haunted house scares, as well. It runs from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. this weekend on the Parkway. And if you still need that perfect costume to wear out to ML, Goodwill is open until 8:00 p.m. during the week, until 6:00 p.m. on Saturdays and from noon to 5:00 p.m. on Sundays.