Wednesday, April 7, 2004

The Daily Gazette
Swarthmore College
Wednesday, April 7, 2004
Volume 8, Number 118

Write to us! daily@swarthmore.edu
Photo of the day: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/photo.html
Today’s issue: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Science Center construction project on track for June completion

2) 885 students admitted to class of 2008

3) Student managers announced for 2004-2005 school year

4) World news roundup

5) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women's lax defeats Chestnut Hill in blowout

2) Baseball falls to Ursinus

3) Softball shutout by Muhlenberg in double header

4) Upcoming contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Morning showers.  High of 61.
With Spec Weekend close on the horizon, and Family Weekend hot on its heels, campus will soon be inundated with non-Swatties...

Tonight: Partly cloudy.  Low of 42.
Given these events are conveniently timed to occur at the height of the workload season, some might see these visits as an unfortunate burdens and distractions...

Tomorrow: Mostly sunny.  High of 61.
I, however, don't see burdens; I see limitless possibilities for outsourcing papers and exams!  (They'll never suspect a thing...)

TODAY'S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Turkey meatloaf, steamed rice, vegetable lo-mein, spinach souffle, asian bar, rice krispy treats

Dinner: Fresh fish, scalloped potatoes, cajun black beans, pasta bar, apple crisp

NEWS REPORT

by Jonathan Ference
Living and Arts Editor

During a tour late Tuesday afternoon, the bowels of the new Science Center building were opened to a small group of students, faculty, and construction company representatives.  The tour, focused primarily on what his been constructed on the former site of the Dupont Building, was the latest in a series of tours designed to allow the campus community a chance to get familiarized with the new building before its opening.

The tour, coordinated by Professor of biology Rachel Ann Merz, showed off a building that is surprisingly well on its way to being complete on time for a June opening.  Though the project is far from complete, the building's character-its strong points as well as its quirks-is certainly evident.

The top floor of the building will be the new home of the Department of Computer Science.  The new department locale features both large and small computer labs, as well as large and well-lit offices for its professors.  Accommodations were made so that the department's powerful intranet can be installed on cable trays near the ceiling; another special feature are large areas recessed in the hallway that will eventually house couches and whiteboards for late night relaxation or study sessions.  Representatives from the construction company, Skanska, also pointed out that requests for different boards by different departments had been granted; floor-to-ceiling whiteboards can be found in the Computer Science Department, while Mathematics/Statistics and Physics have been given chalkboards.

At the end of the CS floor closest to Lang Music Building, an outside space with benches will allow students to enjoy nice days with a view of the Crum Woods; from there, they can also access the already-finished part of the Science Center nearest Cornell Library via open or covered walkways.

The new second, or "ground" floor, will house the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, as well as a part of the Physics and Astronomy Department.  The Math/Stat Department will be accessible via its "front door", which will be found through a landscaped area between Dupont and the current breezeway between lecture halls 101 and 199.  Math/Stat students will have access to a living room with an ample amount of natural light, as well as a computer lab.

One will be able to find the Physics Department office on the same floor, as well as two large restrooms; this space will be directly on the other side of drywall currently serving as part of the wall of the lobby of Science Center 101, addressing the current issue of a lack of restrooms near that lecture hall.  Under the connecting passage between Dupont and the 101 lobby will be a particularly interesting architectural marvel, a water trough that will parallel a walkway sandwiched between the two buildings.  Water from that trough will slowly filter into the Crum.

Both Physics/Astro and Math/Stat offices offer ample shelving and design that should facilitate each room having a round table for discussions and workspace.  These "cut-outs" or bumps currently look slightly out of place, but they should form a successful space when the faculty are allowed to move in.

The Department of Physics also controls part of the basement, or lower level, of the new building.  There will be found shops and hazardous chemical storage, as well as bathrooms that feature shower stalls for those who may need to wash off after a bike ride, for example.  The shops will be in the same location that they were in the old Dupont, though they have been brought up to code.

The two upper floors, more complete than the basement, will join through seamlessly to the Chemistry Department, though access is still blocked off.

Another consideration for the project will be the raising of the access road that leads to Lang-and to a new, well-sized loading dock. This road will eventually be raised two or three feet to make access to the rear of the building possible.

The Science Center building project is on time, and as the new space becomes a reality, its intelligent and useful design is becoming apparent.  It truly promises to be a beautiful space when it is opened for student use in the fall, especially with the addition of ample spots throughout and around the building that will be landscaped by arboretum staff.

*****

by Greg Leiserson
News Editor

The Swarthmore Office of News and Information announced on Monday that the college has admitted 885 students to the class of 2008, less than 25 percent of the more than 3500 who applied. 27 percent of students accepted from schools that report rank are valedictorians or salutatorians and fifty percent are in the top two percent of the class.

More students come from New York than any other state. Rounding out the top five are California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland. South Korea is the best represented foreign country with seven students.

The press release lists the most popular majors as undecided, biology, engineering, history, political science, English, economics, and mathematics. Public schools educated 57 percent of admitted students, private schools 28, and parochial schools eight.

The full text of the college's press release can be found online at:
http://www.swarthmore.edu/news/releases/04/admit08.html
*****

SAC Co-Directors
Darshan Patel '05
Charlie Sussman '05

Paces Co-Directors
Carmen Barron '05
Jessica Zagory '05

Evening Shuttle Van Coordinators
Bryan Kang '06
Gian Vinelli '06

PA Co-Coordinators
Jaky Joseph '06
Rob Buechner '05

SEO Directors
Linus Waelti '07
Ani Nguyen '07

- compiled by Greg Leiserson

*****

4) World News Roundup

* The United States government cannot afford to pay for the increased security needed to protect American ports from terrorists and needs help from the private sector. 'We need to talk to the private sector,' Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said on Monday. 'We don't have enough public money to do everything that needs to be done.' Ports and shipping companies are facing a July 1 deadline to have security programs in place for their docks and vessels or face potential fines. The programs are based on regulations developed by the Homeland Security Department and the Coast Guard under the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002.  The federal government plans to spend nearly US$3 billion (S$5 billion) on security programs this year but Mr. Ridge said 'we can't go around using public money for every private sector need'. He noted that the 360 ports protected by the Coast Guard do about US$1 trillion in business every year. The Port of Portland is the major railroad freight centre for most of the western US and is the nation's top export centre for wheat shipped from as far as the Midwest. But Coast Guard commander for Oregon Paul Jewell said Portland is not considered a strategic target.

* In California, a strict right-to-know law could soon force fast-food restaurants to tell customers that their French fries may pack something worse than fat and cholesterol: a potential carcinogen. Scientists have discovered that French fries contained acrylamide, a chemical known to cause cancer in laboratory rats. Scientists do not want to stir up a super-sized food scare that might later prove unwarranted. Yet, they are alarmed by tests that are finding acrylamide in hundreds of cooked foods - from bread and potato chips to almonds and coffee.  If the lawyers prevail, California could end up with warnings in countless restaurants and grocery stores saying that French fries and other foods with acrylamide might cause cancer. Since the discovery of acrylamide in food two years ago, researchers around the world have detected it in dozens of foods. But it is particularly prevalent in starchy foods such as potato chips and French fries. Frying, baking, roasting or otherwise cooking at high temperatures releases the organic chemical.

* Despite warnings from Washington, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel has indicated he no longer feels bound by a three-year-old commitment to President George W. Bush not to harm Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. The Prime Minister's spokesman, Mr. Raanan Gissin, said on Monday that Israel had no immediate intention to act against Mr. Arafat. Mr. Sharon appeared to be signaling that he felt new freedom to act against Mr. Arafat in the event of a devastating terrorist attack. Furthermore, he is trying to shore up support among right-wing Israelis who are alarmed by his plan for a unilateral withdrawal from most or all of the Gaza Strip and possibly from part of the West Bank. Finally, Mr. Sharon is concerned that his withdrawal proposal might be perceived as a reward for terrorism, emboldening Palestinians to take violent action. During the weekend, the Bush administration said it opposed any action to harm Mr. Arafat. Mr. Sharon is to meet Mr. Bush next Wednesday.

*Work has begun on a US$8 billion (S$13.5 billion) nuclear power plant in the southern province of Guangdong, which is expected to be completed by the end of the decade. The Yangjiang plant is part of an aggressive expansion of the nuclear industry to solve power shortages in China's booming economy. Construction of the plant's basic infrastructure has begun, and work on its reactors is to start before 2006. It will have six reactors, each with a capacity of 1 million kilowatts. Companies from the United States, Japan, Russia, Canada and France are competing with Chinese companies for building contracts. The cost of the plant will exceed US$8 billion. Lack of generating capacity to meet surging demand has led to power rationing in eastern and southern China, forcing some factories and other businesses to suspend operation. China generates about 80 per cent of its electricity from coal-fired plants, but is trying to shift to natural gas and other cleaner sources.

*****

5) Campus events

SPC Labyrinth Open for Meditation
Crum Meadow, 4:00 p.m.

Rhythm 'n' Motion Dance Workshop
Parrish Beach, 4:30 p.m.

Lecture by Prof. Carl Ernst: Islamic Ethics
Scheuer Room, 4:30 p.m.

Cooper Foundation Frederick Wiseman Screening: Ballet
LPAC Cinema, 7:30 p.m.

SWIL Star Trek Episodes
Hicks Mural Room, 9:00 p.m.

Feminist Majority Meeting
Parrish Parlours, 9:00 p.m.

Film Society Screening
Science Center 101, 10:00 p.m.
----------
CAN YOU IMAGINE LIVING THROUGH ETHNIC GENOCIDE?

What if you lost your PARENTS, seven BROTHERS and many members of your extended FAMILY in the violence?

What LESSONS would you have to share?

Come listen to former speaker of the House of Parliament, Joseph Sebarenzi, on his experience in the Rwandan Genocide and his call for "Never Again."

"What can the rest of the world learn from countries that have experienced genocide?  What can the international community do to undermine the precursors to genocide before we even need to look for warning signs? What kind of capacities need to be developed to empower people such that genocide cannot take root?"

SPONSORED BY: SASA, SIRO, PEACE AND CONFLICT STUDIES DEPT.

*****

SPORTS UPDATE

by Alex Glick
Sports Editor

The women's lacrosse team soundly defeated the Chestnut Hill Griffins 20-2 yesterday evening.  Swarthmore was on the offensive for the entire game and simply did not let up.

The Garnet went on an 11-0 run in the first half.  1:00 into the game, Jackie Kahn '04 put the Garnet on the board after a series of fine passes.  Heidi Fieselmann '06 scored her first goal 4:12 into the game, forcing Chestnut Hill into a time out.  Soon afterwards, at 5:35, Kahn sent a sharp pass from behind the goal to Fieselmann, who was able to net her second goal.

At 13:12, Megan Speare '05 scored, and Lindsay Roth '07 earned her first goal 4:20 later.  Justine Hill '04 and Jamie Larson '05 also scored in the half.  Roth, Kahn, and Fieselmann also added goals towards the end of the half, and these ladies all earned hat tricks in the game.  Kahn has now scored in thirty consecutive games.

The Garnet continued to stay in control of the ball throughout the first half, not letting the Griffins take control.  When Chestnut Hill was on the offensive, it was brief, and Swarthmore's stellar defense would not let their opponents take shots on their goal, essentially paralyzing the offense into making a few short and unproductive passes.  Speare made several excellent offensive and defensive plays in the half.  Jenn Hart '04, allowed one goal at the end of the half to bring the score to 11-1.

The Garnet cooled down offensively for a while at the start of the second half.  Emily Lowing '07 allowed one goal at the beginning of the half, but this was the last point that Chestnut Hill would put on the board.

Athena Samaras '07 scored three times in the second half to pull a hat trick of her own.  The defense played very well in the half. Speare had two goals overall, and Christina Piña '06, Elizabeth Richey '07, and Julia Morrison '07 each added a goal.  Anna Ruff '06 finished the final eleven minutes in goal for the Garnet and made three great saves.

The Garnet, now 6-3 (1-2 in conference play) will host Bryn Mawr on Thursday at 5:00 p.m.

*****

2) Baseball falls to Ursinus

The baseball team was defeated 8-2 yesterday by the Ursinus Bears in an away contest.  Senior Ryan Pannorfi '04 led the Garnet offense with two hits and a walk.  Leiderman took the loss but did get three to strike out.

Swarthmore (2-10, 1-5) host Ursinus on Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. at Clothier Fields.

*****

The softball team was defeated by Muhlenberg in both games of a double header yesterday.  The Mules won the first game 8-0.  The Garnet's only hit came from Mary Mintel '05.  Pitcher Emily Remus '06 struck out four but allowed 13 hits.

The Garnet fairly slightly better offensively and defensively in the second game, but lost 3-0.  They managed two singles in the game, by Stephanie Rogan '06 and Ashley Brandt '07.  Marianne Klingaman '07 took the loss for the Garnet, but all of the Mules' runs were unearned.

The Garnet, now 5-12-1 overall (1-4-1 in the Centennial Conference) return to action at Rutgers-Camden on Thursday with a 5:00 p.m. game.

*****

4) Upcoming contests

Today:
Men's Tennis at Penn, 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:
Women's Tennis hosts Washington, 3:30 p.m.
Baseball at Muhlenberg, 3:30 p.m.
Women's Lacrosse hosts Bryn Mawr, 5:00 p.m.
Softball at Rutgers-Camden, 5:00 p.m.

*****

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."
-- Sir Arthur Eddington

*****

Interested in reporting or writing for the Gazette?
Got a news or sports tip for us?
Just want to tell us what you think?

Contact the staff at daily@swarthmore.edu

Communications Editor: Megan Mills
Features Editor Alexis Reedy
Living & Arts Editor: Jonathan Ference
News Editor: Greg Leiserson
Sports Editor: Alex Glick
Photo/Graphics Editor: Charlie Buffie
News Reporters: Anya Carrasco
Lauren Janowitz
Sanggee Kim
Brendan Moriarty
Ken Patton
Maki Sato
Angelina Seah
Victoria Swisher
Siyuan Xie
Sports Writers: Sarah Hilding
Holice Kil
Cara Tigue
Photographers: Kyle Khellaf
Robbie Hart
Nicole Oberfoell
Anthony Orazio
World News Roundup: Angelina Seah
Campus Sports: Alex Glick
Webmasters: Charlie Buffie
Greg Leiserson
Weathercaster: Josh Hausman

The Daily Gazette is published Monday through Friday by an
independent group of Swarthmore College students. The Daily Gazette Web
Site is updated regularly, as news happens. Technical support from the
Swarthmore College Computer Society is gratefully acknowledged.

Our world news roundup is compiled daily, using a variety of
sources,
most notably the Associated Press (
www.ap.org),
Reuters (www.reuters.com), CNN (www.cnn.com), and The New York Times (www.nytimes.com). Our campus sports
summaries are derived from information provided by the Swat Athletics
Department (http://www.swarthmore.edu/athletics/).

To subscribe to the Gazette, free of charge, or to cancel a
subscription, go to our subscriptions page on the web at
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/subscribe.html.

Back issues are available on the web at:
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/archive.html

This concludes today’s report.