Tuesday, March 27, 2001

Tuesday, March 27, 2001
Volume 5, Number 103

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Softball drops contest to Widener
2) Golf match cancelled
3) World sports roundup
4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: A mix of clouds and sun. High 42.
That was one heck of a snowfall yesterday.

Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 30.
I mean, just a total blizzard. Whiteout conditions and everything.

Tomorrow: A mix of sun and clouds. High 47.
It was so bad that I got lost on my way to class. I swear Professor – it was pure luck that the sled dogs rescued me…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Moo goo gai pan, jasmine rice, *vegetable moo goo gai pan, eggplant casserole, baby lima beans, mixed vegetables
**Mexican bar

Dinner: Boneless center cut pork chops with chutney, roasted red bliss potatoes, *three bean casserole, broccoli-mushroom bake vegetable blend
**Pizza bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

Two U.S. Air Force F-15 fighter jets vanished without a trace over Scotland’s Cairngorn Mountains yesterday. A rescue mission found no evidence of the planes and Air Force officials are concluding that a mid-air collision was the most probable scenario. Though another search will commence this morning, sources within the military say it is unlikely that either pilot survived. Meanwhile, a US Army RC-12 jetprop, used to gather intelligence, crashed outside of Nuremberg, Germany, killing its two occupants.

58 teen boys were killed in a fire at a Kenyan boarding school outside Nairobi early yesterday morning in a suspected arson. 28 other students were injured during the blaze, the worst in recent Kenyan history. Police are investigating the possibility that students who were forced to repeat an academic year due to widespread cheating are behind the incident.

The Supreme Court has decide to hear the appeal of McCarver vs. North Carolina, a case involving a mentally retarded death row inmate. Court observers say this case will set the precedent in regards to the constitutionality of executing mentally disabled people. The defendant’s lawyers are arguing that the execution violates the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition of “cruel and unusual punishment.”

Israeli officials are accusing Palestinian snipers of killing a 10-month old Jewish girl in West Bank town of Hebron. As a result, Israel has shut down the town and is contemplating further action against the Palestinians. Meanwhile, Palestinian minister Yasser Abed Rabbo has denied Palestinian responsibility for the killing.

2) Campus events

“Diversity at Swarthmore: Past, Present and Future”
Alumni Talkshow on the Histories of the BCC, IC, WRC and Bond. Diversity Week Event.
LPAC Cinema, 4:15 p.m.

Films: “How Men Propose,” “Matrimony’s Speed Limit,” “A House Divided,” “Too Wise Wives,” “Trail of the North Wind” and “Madchen in Uniform”
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 p.m.

“Differences Which Make a Difference: The Case for Real Diversity on Campus”
by Mark Edwin Potter, Founder and Director of GreenTree
Kirby Lecture Hall in Martin, 7:00 p.m.

“Ethnic Clumping” Discussion – Diversity Week Event with SAO and DU
InterCultural Center, 8:00 p.m.

Student Council Fireside Chat: Diversity and Athletics
Kohlberg Coffee Bar, 9:00 p.m.

Argentine Tango Lesson
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Softball drops contest to Widener

Despite a strong start, the softball team fell to Widener University, 5-2, yesterday. The Garnet put 2 runs on the board in the first inning when Stephanie Wotjtkowski ’02 and Heather Marandola ’01 singled and subsequently scored on an RBI double and single by Stephanie Cross ’04 and Gretchen Heitz ’04, respectively. However, the Pioneers posted 4 unearned runs in the 4th and Swat was unable to overcome the deficit. The team is now 0-10 overall.

2) Golf match cancelled

The golf team’s match against the University of the Sciences was cancelled yesterday due to the early morning snowfall.

3) World sports roundup

Reigning champion Connecticut took a 67-48 victory over Louisiana Tech in the East regional finals of the Women’s NCAA Tournament to return to the Final Four. In the semifinal game they will meet Notre Dame, who beat Vanderbilt, 72-64, last night in the Midwest finals.

Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra is planning to have surgery to repair a split tendon in his right wrist and will likely miss 8-10 weeks. Though the decision will not be finalized for a few days, it seems apparent that the surgery will go ahead due to medical necessity.

The Philadelphia 76ers snapped a 5-game losing streak last night with a 90-78 win over the Milwaukee Bucks. Allen Iverson, in his first game back from a left hip bruise that caused him to miss 5 of the last 6 games, scored 36 points to lead the Sixers.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Baseball hosts Ursinus, 3:15 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Baseball vs. Widener, 3:15 p.m.
Women’s tennis vs. Johns Hopkins, 3:30 p.m.
Women’s lacrosse vs. Washington, 4:00 p.m.
Softball vs. University of the Sciences, 4:00 p.m.
Men’s lacrosse at Stevens Tech, 4:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“A compliment is like a kiss through a veil.” – Victor Hugo