Monday, March 26, 2001

Monday, March 26, 2001
Volume 5, Number 102

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) PACES menu for this week
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Track teams host, win Swarthmore Invitational
2) Men’s tennis splits weekend set
3) Women’s lax finishes third at Seven Sisters
4) Women’s tennis beats Bryn Mawr
5) Softball drops double dip
6) Men’s lax falls to Wesleyan
7) Intramural basketball scoreboard
8) World sports roundup
9) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy with snow likely. High around 45.
Who hired those male dancers for the Sager party Saturday night?

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the high 20s.
You know who I’m talking about – those…guys, with those…things…

Tomorrow: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 40s.
I mean, I was wearing a dress, but I still felt wholly inadequate.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken nuggets, curly fries, *tofu joe, baked penne with mushrooms, corn, spinach
**Cheesesteak bar

Dinner: Seafood scampi, rice, Indian style chick peas, *spicy peanut noodle, broccoli and cauliflower
**Picnic bar

NEWS REPORT

1) PACES menu for this week

Monday – Wednesday

Szechwan carrot soup
Sesame pasta salad – with snow peas, oranges, and cilantro
Naan with spinach yogurt sauce
Moroccan lemon chicken
Poached pears in spiced berry syrup

Desserts

Monday: Fresh banana layer cake, chocolate raspberry mocha layer cake
Tuesday: Frosted peanut butter cake squares, chocolate cake w/ mint cream frosting
Wednesday: Vegan chocolate hazelnut cake, vegan cinnamon apple crisp

2) World news roundup

The US Justice Department reported Sunday that the number of Americans in state prisons last year increased at the slowest rate since 1971, though the total number of people behind bars in the United States remained at a record high in 2000. As of June 2000, 1,931,859 people were in federal, state and local facilities, a three percent increase over the previous year. Researchers said the increase was primarily in the number of people in federal prisons.

South Korean President Kim Dae-jung replaced nearly half his Cabinet on Monday in an effort to quell public discontent with his government’s handling of the economy, among other issues. Among those he let go was Foreign Minister Lee Joung-binn, who was held responsible for a series of policy blunders related to Kim’s delicate rapprochement process with North Korea. The governmental shake-up had been anticipated for weeks after Kim, whose popularity has plunged in recent polls, expressed disappointment with the performance of some of his Cabinet members.

Russell Crowe won the best actor Oscar, as “Gladiator” won five Academy Awards on Sunday, including best picture, sound, costume design, visual effects and best actor. Julia Roberts won best actress for her role in “Erin Brockovich.” Despite being nominated for two films and risking a
split in the vote, director Steven Soderbergh won best director for “Traffic.” He was also nominated for “Erin Brockovich.” Following “Gladiator” was “Traffic” with four awards, including Soderbergh’s, supporting actor for Benicio Del Toro, adapted screenplay by Stephen Gaghan
and film editing. “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” also won four awards – foreign language film, art direction, cinematography and original score.

3) Campus events

“‘Whiteness’ Studies at Swarthmore: On English 85 ‘Whiteness’ and Racial Difference”
by Professor Schmidt
Black Cultural Center, 1:00 p.m.

“Columbia: The New Violence”
by Regulo Madero, President of the Regional Corporation for the Defense of Human Rights, CREDHOS, and Carlos Alberto Palacios, Coordinator of the Human Development Office for the Mayor of Valle del Guamez.
Scheuer Room, 4:15 p.m.

“Taste The Rainbow”
Diversity Week Dinner sponsored by Sharples Dining Hall
Sharples Dining Hall, dinner

“History, Economics and the Modern Civil Rights Movement”
by Gavin Wright ’65, Stanford University
Kirby Lecture Hall, 7:30 p.m.

“Identity rEvolution”
Comedy Performance and Workshop by Full Circle Improv Group, Center for Intergenerational Learning, Temple University
Lang Concert Hall, 8:00 p.m.

Vertigo-go Hosts Harvard’s Immediate Gratification Players
Mephistos Lounge, 8:00 p.m.

Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: Cube
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Earthlust Meeting
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 10:00 p.m.

Dialogues Discussion Group
Mary Lyons Breakfast Room, 10:15 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

Both the men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams won the Swarthmore Invitational this weekend. The men posted a total team score of 105, besting Franklin & Marshall (84) and Ursinus (62). The women put up 102 points to defeat Ursinus (85) and F&M (66).

On the men’s side, Kwaku Ntoso ’03 was a double winner, taking both the 110 high hurdles and the 400 meter intermediate hurdles, while Marc Jeuland ’01 won the 800 meter run in a time of 2:00.4. Swarthmore’s 4×100 team also took first, while Matt Rapoza ’03, Ed Albers ’02, and Justin Pagliei ’02 swept the top three spots in the discus throw.

For the women, Imo Akpan ’02 swept the sprints, winning both the 100 and 200 meter dashes, winning the latter by nearly two seconds.Njideka Akunyili ’04 won the 400 and Claire Hoverman ’03 won the 800. Joko Agunloye ’01 took first place in the 1500 meter run in a time of 5:05.20.

2) Men’s tennis splits weekend set

The men’s tennis team hosted two opponents this weekend, winning one contest but losing the other. On Saturday, the team defeated Mary Washington 5-2. Winners for Swarthmore on the singles side were Pete Schilla ’01, John Thomas ’02, Frank Visciano ’04, and Scott Grant ’01. Schilla/Thomas won first doubles, while Grant/Jayson Yost ’02 won second doubles. On Sunday they fell to Washington 6-1, with Visciano the lone winner at fifth singles. The loss brought their record to 3-4 for the season.

The women’s lacrosse team won a sudden death thriller to finish third at the Seven Sisters Tournament at Haverford this weekend. On Saturday, they defeated Mount Holyoke 7-4, as Katie Tarr ’02 scored three goals. Later that day they lost 16-5 to Trinity (CT) despite two more goals from Tarr.

Sunday’s third place game against Smith was a classic, as the teams battled to the very last second of regulation, where Smith tied it at 10-10 to force overtime. In the third overtime Mavis Biss ’02 tied the game at 12-12 with 36 seconds remaining, then put in the game winner with only seven seconds to go. Tarr led the way with five goals and two assists, while Jen Hart ’03 made 16 saves in goal. Kristen English ’01 added two goals for the Garnet. Hart and Tarr, who scored 10 goals over the weekend, were both named to the All-Tournament team. The team’s record is 2-1 on the season.

4) Women’s tennis beats Bryn Mawr

The women’s tennis team defeated Bryn Mawr 8-1 on Friday. No individual results were available at press time.

5) Softball drops double dip

The softball team was swept by Western Maryland on Saturday, losing 11-0 and 9-1. The team’s record now stands at 0-9, 0-2.

6) Men’s lax falls to Wesleyan

In a loss that brought their record to 1-3 on the season, the men’s lacrosse team fell to Wesleyan 17-6 on Saturday.

7) Intramural basketball scoreboard

Non-Competitive League

Team 3 70
DU Pigroast 61

Big Gay Buggers 30
Mothership Connection 24

The Wahooligans, Jelly Donut win by forfeit

Competitive League

Karma Police 63
Young Bucks 53

Alums, Landsharks win by forfeit

8) World sports roundup

Down two strokes to Jerry Kelly in the Players Championship, Tiger Woods started Sunday’s final round birdie-eagle, and took the lead at the ninth hole just as darkness halted play until Monday morning. Kelly and Master’s champion Vijay Singh are tied for second, one shot behind Woods.

Duke vs. Maryland. Arizona vs. Michigan State. There’s your Final Four, and it took a weekend of hard-fought games to get to that point. Michigan State, the defending National Champions, defeated Temple 69-62, denying 69-year-old Temple coach John Chaney of his first trip to the Final Four after five tries. Maryland upset Illinois 87-81 to earn a spot against Duke, favored by many to win it all.

The NBA’s most exciting team, the Sacramento Kings, fell apart in the fourth quarter and handed the Kobe Bryant-less Lakers an 84-72 victory. Shaquille O’Neal led L.A. with 23 points and 15 rebounds.

9) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Golf hosts University of the Sciences, 1:00 p.m.
Softball hosts Widener, 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Baseball hosts Ursinus, 3:15 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.” – Gloria Steinem