Wednesday, November 22, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Wednesday, November 22, 2000
Volume 5, Number 49

EDITOR’S NOTE:

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, this is the last issue of the Daily Gazette for this week. We will return on Monday. Enjoy the holiday. Visit the Daily Gazette website at http://daily.swarthmore.edu

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) SCCS making plans for new student space
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) This week’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny and brisk. Highs in the mid 30s.
Heh heh. I’m home.

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows around 20.
How’s that for dedication?

Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 30s.
Well, it’s either dedication, or I’m a big schmuck. I haven’t decided which it is yet.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: French bread pizza, crinkle cut fries, *tuscan bean bake, succotash, peas
**Greek bar

Dinner: Grilled strip steak, duchess potatoes, pasta with sauce, *wild rice with cranberries and pecans, asparagus, corn on the cob
**Pasta bar

NEWS REPORT

After winning last week’s student referendum on the former game room space in Tarble basement, the Swarthmore College Computer Society (SCCS) hopes to turn the space into a computing center as early as possible.

Tom Stepleton ’02, President of SCCS, said that the college architect who is supposed to handle the renovations is going on maternity leave.

“But,” he added, “I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to open by fall semester of next year.”

Larry Schall, Vice President of Facilities and Services neglected to comment on when the SCCS area would open, saying, “It is too early to tell.”

Stepleton said that the SCCS space will hold the servers and a computing area with nine available workstations. The computing area will be a place where students can do video-editing, and make webstations.

“We will have resources down there,” Stepleton said, “and we will be down there to help people.”

The SCCS space will also house a DVD player and projector, a Playstation II, and a seminar/conference area.

“We want to focus more on the creative aspects of computing,” Stepleton said.

To see the complete SCCS proposal as it was submitted to Student Council, go to http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~tss/referendum

– Kanani Milles

2) World news roundup

In a unanimous decision, the Florida State Supreme Court ruled that the manual recounts taking place in some Florida counties may continue, and must be counted in the final certified vote tally. Bush leads by 930 official, but uncertified votes. Through Tuesday night, Gore picked up 266 votes in the hand recounts. After the ruling was announced, the Vice President said, “Now that we know the process will continue, I once again urge that Governor Bush and I meet to demonstrate the essential unity that keeps America strong and free.” The Republican reaction was fierce. “The decision of the Florida Supreme Court amounts to a blatant and extraordinary abuse of judicial power,” said Rep. Tom Delay. The court set a deadline of 5:00 p.m. this Sunday or 9:00 a.m. Monday, depending on whether the Florida Secretary of State’s office is open to receive the results.

Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori was ousted from office by outraged lawmakers in a raucous session of Congress late Tuesday night. The lawmakers refused to accept his resignation and declared him morally unfit for office.

Egypt recalled its ambassador to Israel on Tuesday, blaming Israel for escalating violence in the Gaza Strip. Egyptian officials said they are not abandoning peace-keeping efforts, however.

3) Campus events

Happy Thanksgiving! Nothing going on here.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

The Knicks took their first lead of Tuesday night’s game against the Orlando Magic with eight seconds left, and held on for the win. …After a three week stay in a Florida hospital, 82-year old Ted Williams was released Tuesday after having a pacemaker implanted in his chest. …In the college basketball season’s first matchup of two top-ten teams, no. 8 Illinois defeated sixth ranked Maryland 90-80 in the semifinals of the Maui Invitational.

2) This week’s contests

Saturday

Men’s basketball vs. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I’ve ever known.” – Walt Disney