Monday, November 20, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Monday, November 20, 2000
Volume 5, Number 47

Now you can tip us off on news you think should be covered!
Tell us whatever you want, on or off the record.

Our news tips page can be accessed from anywhere on our web site, or simply
go to http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily/newstips.html

Visit the Daily Gazette website at http://daily.swarthmore.edu

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Senior debaters win UPenn tournament
2) Most Gazette readers say no to Honor Code
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Agunloye, Jeuland represent Swat at Nationals
2) Women’s basketball wins Swat Tip-Off
3) Women swimmers top Generals
4) Men’s b-ball falls to Bates
5) Men’s swim team falls to Generals
6) World sports roundup
7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today:  Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 40s.
This weather symbolizes my Swarthmore experience.

Tonight:  Partly cloudy. Lows in the low 30s.
In order to stay away from the big, bad Outside, I curl up into a little ball in my room.

Tomorrow: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 40s.
I’m safe there – It can’t get me.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Ravioli with marinara sauce, crusty foccacia, *tempeh stir fry with broccoli and red bell peppers, spinach, zucchini
**Seafood bar

Dinner: Paella with shrimp sausage and chicken, basmati rice, Mexican lasagna, *El’s black beans, baby carrots, cauliflower
**Burger bar

NEWS REPORT

1) Senior debaters win UPenn tournament

Tenaya Scheinman ’01 and John Dolan ’01 won the University of Pennsylvania Debate Tournament this past weekend, defeating a team from Princeton in the final round.

After eight rounds of tough competition provided by contingents from Columbia, the University of Chicago, and many others, the team triumphed on a 14-7 judge’s decision in a case that focused on the ethicality of using medical data acquired from experiments on Holocaust victims.

Other topics ranged from a theoretical scenario in which Great Britain would have aided the South in the Civil War to a pop-culture case regarding TV’s Tanner family turning Alf over to the US government for experimentation.

In addition to the team award, Dolan was recognized as the top speaker at the tournament, while Scheinman was named the ninth best debater. The individual honor means that Dolan is now the fourth ranked individual debater in the country according to the American Parliamentary Debate Association. Furthermore, the win guarantees the team a spot at this year’s National Debate Tournament, to be held at Bryn Mawr in the spring.

Also earning accolades were Anastasia Koldendo ’04 and Ryan Chahrour ’04. The pair were named the fourth best novice team at the tournament.

– Jeremy Schifeling

In this week’s Daily Gazette web poll, we asked the question, “Should Swarthmore have an Honor Code?” The results significantly illustrate the prevailing sentiment.

Out of 315 votes cast by visitors to the web site, over 83% said no. Only 16.2% said Swarthmore should have an Honor Code.

Last week, Jared Solomon ’01 and Horatiu Stefan ’01 held a fireside chat to discuss their proposal for an Honor Code at Swarthmore. Many students attended and voiced concerns about such a move.

Solomon and Stefan are planning an event where the issue can be discussed by the entire college community.

– Jeff Heckelman

3) World news roundup

A weekend tally of overseas absentee ballots stretched Gov. George W. Bush’s official lead in the presidential race to 930 votes. But uncompleted hand recounts over the weekend in Broward and Palm Beach counties cut Bush’s lead to 834 votes as of midnight Sunday. A hand recount will begin Monday in Miami-Dade County and resume in Broward and Palm Beach. Meanwhile, lawyers from both sides will meet before the Florida state supreme court Monday to determine whether any of the votes from the hand recounts will be accepted at all.

Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori announced Monday that he will resign within 48 hours. Enmeshed in a corruption scandal, Fujimori acknowledged the fact that opposition lawmakers took control of Congress last week, but didn’t elaborate. However, sources say there was a motion on the table to remove Fujimori on constitutional grounds of “moral incapacity.”

Charles Ruff, the lawyer who represented President Clinton during his impeachment trial two years ago died Sunday. He was 61.

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” starring Jim Carrey, made a huge opening this weekend, garnering $55.1 million at the box office in three days, bumping “Charlie’s Angels” out of the top spot.

4) Campus events

“The Politics of Minority Rights in Europe” by Stephen Deets, Miami University of Ohio
Trotter 301, 4:00 p.m.

“Interesting Applications of Silent Sound and Clean Water” by Sameer I. Madanshetty, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, KSU
Hicks 211, 4:30 p.m.

Student Housing Committee
Parrish 370, 7:00 p.m.

“Middle East Crisis: Clarifying Acts of Violence”
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:30 p.m.

The Sexual Health Counselors’ Pill Workshop
Parrish Parlor – West, 8:30 p.m.

Interfaith Thanksgiving Service
Bond Memorial Hall, 9:00 p.m.

Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: Princess Mononoke
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 10:00 p.m.

Earthlust Meeting
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

At the NCAA Division III National Cross Country Championships at Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington, Swarthmore was represented by its two best runners, seniors Joko Agunloye and Marc Jeuland.

Agunloye finished 56th in a time of 19:01.6, while Jeuland finished 62nd in the men’s race in a time of 26:05.09.

2) Women’s basketball wins Swat Tip-Off

In the championship game of the Third annual Swarthmore Tip-Off Tournament, the Garnet defeated Beaver College 82-54 to capture the crown.

Last year’s CC Player of the Year Heather Kile ’02 led all scorers with 18 points, added 16 rebounds, and was named All Tournament. But Tourney MVP honors went to Heather Marandola ’01, who scored nine points and added eight assists. Sarah Tufano ’03 and Ali Furman ’03 each contributed 16 points. Katie Robinson ’04 added a little bit of everything, scoring eight points with seven rebounds, six assists and five steals.

The team is now 2-1 on the season.

3) Women swimmers top Generals

Amy Auerbach ’02, Natalie Briones ’03, Tara Trout ’04, and Becca Howes-Mischel ’01 were all double winners as the Garnet topped the Washington & Lee 127-75.

Auerbach captured the 1000 free (11:12.81) and the 500 free (5:27.74) while Briones won the 50 free (25.22) and the 200 breast stroke (2:32.39). Trout won the 200 IM (2:17.38) and Howes-Mischel captured the 200 back stroke (2:18.26).

The duo teamed up with Leah Davis ’04 and Lisa Ladewski ’02 to win the 400 medley relay (4:25.12). Krista Gigone ’04 won the 200 free (2:03.14) and Davita Burkhead-Weiner ’03 won the 100 free (56.99).

The team is now 2-1 on the season.

4) Men’s b-ball falls to Bates

In the Equinox Classic, the Men’s basketball team fell to Bates in overtime, 101-97. David Pearce ’03 led all scorers with 29 points, and was named to the All-Tournament team. Zack Ellison ’04 added 25 points in the losing effort. The team is now 0-2 on the season.

5) Men’s swim team falls to Generals

The men’s swimming team also faced Washington & Lee this weekend, but they fell to the Generals 131-73. Ted Sherer ’01 was the lone victor, taking the 200 IM (2:04.28) and the 200 breast stroke (2:19.92).

6) World sports roundup

Just one week after losing star running back Ricky Williams, the New Orleans Saints lost quarterback Jeff Blake for the season in the first quarter of Sunday’s game against the Raiders. The Saints dropped the game 31-22, snapping their six-game winning streak. …Tiger Woods shot his third straight 65 to win the Johnnie Walker Classic in his mother’s home country of Thailand. His 25-under 263 set a course record and is Woods’ best finish in relation to par in his career. …Former Giants outfielder Ellis Burks signed a three year deal with the Cleveland Indians worth $19.5 million.

7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:

Men’s swimming hosts Widener, 6:30 p.m.
Women’s swimming hosts Widener, 6:30 p.m.
Men’s basketball hosts Gwynedd Mercy, 7:00 p.m.
Women’s basketball at Eastern College, 7:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“You would have thought she’d killed 14 people” – Palm Beach County Judge Charles Burton, after a fracas broke out late Saturday night when a counter accidentally put a ballot in the wrong stack.