Monday, November 13, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Friday, November 10, 2000
Volume 5, Number 41

Let your voice be heard (for once)!
Visit the Daily Gazette web site at http://daily.swarthmore.edu

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Gazette readers say re-vote
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Football finishes with best record in five years
2) Agunloye, Jeuland going to Nationals
3) Women’s swimming loses heartbreaker
4) Men’s swimming falls to F&M
5) World sports roundup
6) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the lower 50s.
Can’t help but wonder if I would have voted correctly had I been confronted with the Palm Beach county ballot.

Tonight: Cloudy. Lows in the low 40s.
I mean, I’m not that easily confused or misled.

Tomorrow: Rain likely. Highs in the mid 50s.
By the way, that whole Buchanan-hating-Jews-and-denying-the-Holocaust thing was just a phase, right?

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken fingers, French fries, *Asian pasta, Tuscan bean bake, corn, carrots
**Nacho bar

Dinner: Chicken with spinach and feta, Basmati rice, *tempeh with hoisin sauce, stuffed peppers, peas and carrots, vegetable blend
**Cheesesteak bar

NEWS REPORT

1) Gazette readers say re-vote

Based on results from a poll conducted on the Daily Gazette web site, 59% of Gazette readers think that disputed areas in Florida should be allowed to vote again. 

Out of the 119 votes cast, just over 40% said there should be no re-vote.

If you haven’t voted yet, you can still have your say at http://daily.swarthmore.edu.

2) World news roundup

Lawyers for the Bush campaign will go before a federal judge Monday morning asking for a stop to the manual recounting of ballots in some Florida counties. Florida law states that manual recounts are allowed if a candidate meets a post-election deadline to request them and the local election board agrees.

The Bush camp has requested New Mexico state police impound early-voting and absentee ballots in case of a challenge or recount. With Bush holding onto a 17-vote lead in the state, GOP attorney Mickey Barnett said, “We want to preserve all the ballots to see if anybody on either side wants to ask for a recount.” State Democratic Chairwoman Diane Denish called it a “hypocritical” delaying tactic. “Now that the Republicans have the lead in New Mexico, they suddenly want the ballot count to end,” she said. “Three days ago when they were behind, they did everything they could to get even questionable ballots counted. They can’t have it both ways.”

OPEC rejected a price-easing increase in oil production, raising the possibility of slashing output early next year to keep prices from falling too fast.

Leah Rabin, wife of slain former Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, died Sunday of cancer at the age of 72. Since her husband’s death, Rabin had been an outspoken campaigner for peace in the Middle East.

3) Campus events

“The Development of an Evolutionarily Novel Structure: How Does the Turtle Get Its Shell?” Faculty Lecture by Scott Gilbert
Scheuer Room, 4:15 p.m.

Easton Consultants Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Screening of Stand and Deliver
Kohlberg 328, 7:30 p.m.

Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: Tron
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 10:00 p.m.

Earthlust Meeting
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

The Garnet Tide defeated Washington & Lee 16-6 Saturday to finish the season with a 4-5 record, their best since a 5-5 mark in 1995.

Swat took its first possession 54 yards for the score, ran in by Ken Clark ’03. The score was tied 6-6 until 12:01 remained. Then Clark ran it in from two yards out to make it 13-6, and Rob Castelluci ’01 intercepted a pass, setting up his own 23-yard field goal for the final tally.

Clark carried 44 times for 151 yards, bringing his school record season total to 1,053 yards. He is the first Garnet running back to pass the 1,000 yard plateau. Scott Murray ’01 completed 10-21 passes for 214 yards, while fullback Lane Oatey ’03 caught a career-high three passes for 86 yards.

2) Agunloye, Jeuland going to Nationals

At the NCAA Mid-East Regional Cross Country Championships at Dickinson College on Saturday, both Swarthmore teams made plenty of noise.

The women’s team had an especially strong showing, finishing in sixth place out of 35 teams. Joko Agunloye ’01 ran the race in 18:34.9 to finish third overall, earning a trip to Spokane, Washington for next Saturday’s NCAA National Championship.

On the men’s side, the team finished 15th out of 34 teams. Marc Jeuland ’01 will join Agunloye in Washington next week, earning a trip to the Nationals by finishing fourth in the race overall, in a time of 26:12.8. Sam Evans ’01 finished 19th to win All Region honors.

3) Women’s swimming loses heartbreaker

They led going into the final event, but Franklin & Marshall took first and third place in the 400 meter relay to upend the women’s swim team 106-99. The team is now 1-1, 1-1 on the young winter season.

Amy Auerbach ’02 and Natalie Briones ’03 were each triple winners. Auerbach won the 200 freestyle and the 200 butterfly, while Briones won the 50 freestyle and the 200 breaststroke. Both were part of the winning 400 meter medley relay team, along with Becca Howes-Mischel ’01 and Davita Burkhead-Weiner ’03.

4) Men’s swimming falls to F&M

The men’s swimming team was defeated by Franklin & Marshall 125-78. Mike Dudley ’03 won the 200 backstroke and Ted Sherer ’01 won the 200 breaststroke. The team of Dudley, Chris Bussard ’03, Jason Kerensky ’03, and Eric Shang ’04 won the 400 freestyle relay.

5) World sports roundup

Canada’s Mike Weir held onto a two stroke lead to win the American Express Championship at Valderrama in Spain. Weir held off a group that included Tiger Woods to take home the $1 million (that’s $1.54 mil Canadian) prize. …Lennox Lewis dominated David Tua Saturday night, winning by decision to defend his IBF-WBC heavyweight championship. After the fight, Lewis addressed the looming spectre of Mike Tyson: “If Tyson wants to come to test; I’ll put him to rest; Lennox Lewis is the best.” …The Tennessee Titans lost their first game ever at Adelphia Coliseum Sunday, as Baltimore defeated them 24-23. …Kobe Bryant poured in 37 points as the Lakers held off a late charge from Houston to defeat the Rockets 105-99 for their second straight win.

6) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

There are no contests scheduled for today or tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“When I die – if I die – I want to be buried in Louisiana so I can stay active in politics.” — former Gov. Earl K. Long