Tuesday, November 28, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Tuesday, November 28, 2000
Volume 5, Number 51

Visit the Daily Gazette website at http://daily.swarthmore.edu

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s.
Don’t forget to pre-register for classes by the 4:00 PM deadline this afternoon!!!

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s.
Actually, if you’re considering registering for any of my over-enrolled courses…

Tomorrow: Cloudy with possible showers. Highs in the mid 40s.
Take your time, no hurry….

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Moo goo gai pan, jasmine rice, *vegetable moo goo gai pan, eggplant casserole, baby lima beans, mixed vegetables
**Mexican bar

Dinner: Boneless center cut pork chops with chutney, roasted red bliss potatoes, *three bean casserole, broccoli-mushroom bake, vegetable blend
**Pizza bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

After appealing the election results of three Florida counties in state circuit court yesterday morning, Al Gore took to national television to explain his actions to the public. Saying that he would not concede the presidential race until Florida obtained an accurate count, he accused the Republican party of trying to “block the process at every turn.” Gore has until the December 12th selection of Electoral College representatives to challenge the state’s vote certification.

Meanwhile, George W. Bush and Dick Cheney began the process of transitioning into the White House, undaunted by Gore’s legal appeals. Though the federal government would not provide the administration with funds to facilitate the change, the Texas governor has set up a non-profit, donation-based foundation to fuel the transition. Bush has also said that he will begin selecting Cabinet members.

Outside of the political arena, America began to shift its support to Bush. A Washington Post-ABC News Poll taken Sunday evening revealed that 60% of the population thinks Gore should concede now, while 56% believe that the certified Florida count is accurate.

After weeks of enduring a fierce and controversial campaign for Prime Minister, Canadians voted yesterday in the national election. Though besieged with scandal and allegations of corruption, current PM Jean Chretien is likely to win a third term, based on the latest pre-election poll. However, even if he wins, there still remains a chance that he will be prosecuted for his involvement with government money being funneled to a bankrupt company. The incident occurred before he became the PM.

2) Campus events

Lecture by Venelin Ganev
Trotter 301, 4:00 p.m.

“Six Years of Sichuan: A View of China from the Interior” by William M. Speidel, the first US Peace Corps Director in China
Kohlberg 115, 4:15 p.m.

Pembroke Consulting Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Movie: “James Balwin: The Price of the Ticket”
Kohlberg 226, 7:00 p.m.

Swarthbucklers Practice
Upper Tarble, 7:30 p.m.

Animal Rights Coalition
Trotter 303, 7:30 p.m.

Scottish Country Dancing
LPAC Dance Studio 3, 8:15 p.m.

Fireside Chat about Student Activities Fee
Kohlberg Coffee Bar, 9:00 p.m.

Ballroom Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

Seattle SuperSonics head coach Paul Westphal was fired yesterday following a mediocre start and verbal confrontations with his players. Having gone 6-9 so far despite a talent-laden roster, the situation was made worse by arguments between Westpahl and star guard Gary Payton. Assistant Nate McMillan, who is popular with the players, will now take the helm of the team… Following a decisive BCS ranking Monday, Florida State is now virtually assured of a spot in this year’s national championship, the Orange Bowl. However, their opponent hinges on the result of #1 Oklahoma’s upcoming contest against Kansas State in the Big 12 title game. Should the Sooners falter, Miami will be bumped up to face the Seminoles in the January championship game… Toronto Raptors’ superstar Vince Carter will miss a game for the first time in his NBA career after pulling a qaudricep in his left leg during a contest against the Bulls Sunday. This ends his franchise-record consecutive games played streak at 145.

2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Men’s basketball at Lehigh, 7:00 p.m.
Women’s basketball hosts Bryn Mawr, 7:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Happy is said to be the family which can eat onions together. They are, for the time being, separate, from the world, and have a harmony of aspiration.” – Charles Dudley Warner