Tuesday, November 7, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Tuesday, November 7, 2000
Volume 5, Number 38

Visit the Daily Gazette web site at http://daily.swarthmore.edu

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Where to watch election results on campus
2) Poll times and locations
3) Sharples III Gallery changes schedule
4) World news roundup
5) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s rugby qualifies for spring playoffs
2) World sports roundup
3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Sun with a light wind. Highs pushing 60.
Hey!

Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s.
You know what would be really funny?

Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.
If I had an election joke right here.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: BBQ chicken sandwhich, cottage fries, *ratatouille, pierogies, brussel sprouts, corn on the cob
**Chef salad bar

Dinner: Chicken marsala, buttered noodles, *baked tofu, thai sweet potatoes, spinach, peas and carrots
**Caribbean bar

NEWS REPORT

Clothier will be the place to be Tuesday night, as the campus braces for the only presidential election any current student will likely ever see at Swarthmore.

PACES, the campus’ student-run cafe, will host Election night from 9:00 to midnight. They will have a television set up to watch the polls and commentaries while customers eat.

You can also catch the action upstairs in Upper Tarble, where an “Election Night Get-Together” has been put together through the support of the Center for Social and Policy Studies, College Republicans, College Democrats, the Departments of Political Science, History, and Economics, as well as the Program in Public Policy. The festivities in Upper Tarble begin at 7:30 p.m.

2) Poll times and locations

If you are voting in Pennsylvania and are registered at 500 College Ave., you can vote today from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Swarthmore Rutledge Elementary School. It is located on College Ave., on the other side of Route 320 from the College. Voters registered at other locations can contact the League of Women Voters of Delaware County at 610-449-0977 for their polling place.

Following a successful Friday night opening of Lynne DeSilva-Johnson ’01’s “Outlook,” the Sharples III student art gallery will now be open to the public Thursday 12 – 2, Friday 2 – 4 and Saturday 2 – 4. The artist’s multimedia installation will be on display until November 17th.

4) World news roundup

As the polls open this morning, presidential candidate Al Gore has taken a 48-46 lead over opponent George W. Bush in the latest MSNBC/Reuters/Zogby daily tracking poll, released yesterday evening. However, the poll’s three-point margin of error indicates that the race is still a statistical dead heat. Each candidate made a final trip through Florida, home to 25 electoral college votes, on this last day of campaigning. Meanwhile, other key states such as Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Washington continued to fluctuate in their last pre-election polls, leaving political analysts unable to predict a winner. Most concluded that the race would come down to voter turnout. 

The $145 billion in punitive damages awarded to Florida smokers in their case against the tobacco industry was upheld by a circuit court judge yesterday. Rejecting industry claims that the punishment would bankrupt the companies involved, the court ruled that the amount should stand and allowed further claimants to enter the case. Lawyers for the tobacco industry pledged to appeal.

British surgeons began operating on Siamese twins this morning in an attempt to save one’s life, with the cost being certain death for the other. The surgery comes after months of legal battles between the doctors and the twins’ Catholic parents who had tried to prevent the operation, even though both infants would have likely died without intervention. The Maltese parents had desired that nature would take its course, but were overruled by a British court.

5) Campus events

Carney Sandoe & Associates Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Election Night Get-Together
Upper Tarble, 7:30 p.m.

“The Soviet Phenomenon: A Bird’s Eye View” Paul Beik Lecture by Moshe Lewin
Scheuer Room, 7:30 p.m.

Animal Rights Coalition Meeting
Trotter 303, 7:30 p.m.

“1999 as the Year of God and Film” by Read Schuchardt
Kirby Lecture Hall, 7:30 p.m.

Neo-Shamanic Trance Dance Ritual Led by Internationally-Known Healer Wilbert Alix
LPAC Dance Studio 2, 8:00 p.m.

PACES Election Night
PACES, 9:00 p.m.

SQU Small Group Discussion: Talking about Questioning…
Intercultural Center, 9:00 p.m.

Not Quite Ready for the Apollo: A “Talent” Show
Black Cultural Center, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

The women’s rugby team lost to Delaware in the first round of the Eastern Pennsylvania Rugby Union (EPRU) Tournament 10-3 on Saturday. But they came back strong the next day to beat Millersville 19-0 and qualify for the Mid-Atlantic Rugby-Football Union (MARFU) playoffs this spring. They are scheduled to play Navy on March 24th.

In the Millersville game the back line was unstoppable. Emily Wilkins ’01 scored a try, and Adrienne Fowler ’03 played the entire match on a sprained ankle.

2) World sports roundup

Detroit Lions head coach Bobby Ross stepped down from his position yesterday following an embarrassing loss to Miami. Citing the stresses of coaching in the NFL and professional burnout, Ross deferred to assistant head coach Gary Moeller. The Lions are 5-4. …Seattle Mariners reliever, Kazuhiro Sasaki, was named the American League Rookie of the year on Monday. Sasaki, who came to the Mariners after a long and successful career in Japan, is the second-oldest player to win the award in baseball history. He is 32. …Hall of Famer Ted Williams’ condition was upgraded from “stable” to “good” at a Gainesville, Florida hospital yesterday. The 82 year-old Williams entered the hospital last Wednesday after experiencing shortness of breath and is scheduled to receive a pacemaker today.

3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

There are no contests scheduled for today or tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I had rather be right than President.” — Senator Henry Clay