Wednesday, November 1, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Wednesday, November 1, 2000
Volume 5, Number 34

The Daily Gazette web site now has a new, easier to remember address!
Visit our web site at http://daily.swarthmore.edu

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Noted political comedian appearing near Bryn Mawr tonight
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Sunny. Highs near 60.
I went trick-or-treating last night, and now I have a big bag of candy.

Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows around 40.
Before you ask me for any, think hard about what you did last night.

Tomorrow: Sunny. Highs 60-65.
Then next year put down your books and get your own damn candy.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Italian stromboli, french fries, cheese and vegetable stromboli, *butternut squash and sage orzo, broccoli, cauliflower
**Wing bar

Dinner: Turkey London broil, mushroom rice, *lentil stew, pasta with sauce, corn on the cob, whole green beans
**Pasta bar

NEWS REPORT

Scott Blakeman will present “Laughs from the Left: The Political Comedy of Scott Blakeman” tonight at The Point, a venue just a few blocks from the campus of Bryn Mawr College.

“I think this event is of interest to Swarthmore because of the many students and faculty who would enjoy smart political humor just a few days before this important election,” Blakeman said.

Blakeman has made over 30 national television appearances and was the warm-up comedian for the Late Show with David Letterman. He is the warm-up comedian for the new CBS comedy series Welcome To New York. His political humor commentaries can be heard on National Public Radio’s WNYC in New York. Blakeman appeared locally at the Annenberg Center during this summer’s Shadow Convention.

Tonight’s show will begin at 8:00 p.m. The Point is located at 880 W. Lancaster Ave. in Bryn Mawr. Tickets are available by calling 610-527-0988.

2) World news roundup

Seventy-seven people were killed and dozens more were injured when a Singapore Airlines jumbo jet slammed into an object before takeoff for Los Angeles and burst into flames in the darkness and rain Tuesday, a Taiwanese official said.

As Election Day looms just days away, Al Gore and George W. Bush are making their final pushes over the airways. In a new TV ad, Gore touts his experience, but his advisers rejected a sharper commercial questioning whether Bush is up to the job. For his part, Bush begins airing a new ad Wednesday accusing Gore of “bending the truth,” a departure from what has thus far been an overwhelmingly positive ad campaign.

Following new indications of terrorist threats in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, U.S. forces are on the highest state of alert, officials said.

Under a deal announced Tuesday, Bertelsmann’s BMG music division said it was teaming with Napster to develop what the partners characterized as a new, secure membership-based distribution system that will guarantee payments to artists. While the deal may help extract Napster from its pending legal conundrum, it appears problematic and poses many new questions. First and foremost is the question of how Napster can avoid alienating its 38 million users despite charging them for something they’ve been getting for free all along.

Comedian/actor/author/pioneer of late-night television Steve Allen died of an apparent heart attack in his sleep Monday night. He was 78. 

3) Campus events

Celebration of Mass, All Saints’ Day
Bond Memorial Hall, 12:30 p.m.

Information Session On Applying to Medical School
Martin 213, 12:30 p.m.

Faculty Lunch Lecture with Dr. Amy Cheng Vollmer
InterCultural Center, 12:30 p.m.

Independent Educational Services Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

French Movie Night
Kohlberg 116, 7:00 p.m.

“Dance and Rhythms of the Island: An Evening of Dance and Drumming from Sri Lanka”
LPAC Pearson-Hall Theatre, 8:00 p.m.

Italian Movie Night
Kohlberg 228, 8:00 p.m.

Tango Study Break / Video Night
Kohlberg 115, 9:30 p.m.

Film Society Screening
DuPont 161, 10:00 p.m.

Folk Song Sing-Along
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

The NBA season opened Tuesday night, with a nearly full slate of games, highlighted by a rematch of last year’s Western Conference Finals. The Blazers still can’t beat the Lakers, as Shaquille O’Neal’s 36 points led L.A. to a 96-86 victory. Down in Orlando, new acquisition Tracy McGrady put on a show in his Florida debut, pouring in a career-high 32 points and adding 12 rebounds as the Magic rolled to 97-86 win over Washington. …Lou Pinella will return as manager of the Seattle Mariners after signing a three-year contract Tuesday. Also, the Mets agreed to contracts with manager Bobby Valentine and GM Steve Phillips. After much talk about one or both departing, they were rewarded for their pivotal roles in bringing the Mets to the World Series.

2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Field hockey hosts Frostburg St., 2:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.” — W. SomersetMaugham