Thursday, October 26, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Thursday, October 26, 2000
Volume 5, Number 30

We know you’ve got plenty to say – speak up!
gazette-management@student-publications.swarthmore.edu

The Daily Gazette Web Site. Now with LIVE Updates 24 Hours A Day.
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events for the week

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Men’s soccer can’t crack OT curse
2) Volleyball drops final game
3) World sports roundup
4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Foggy morning, sunny afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s.
Why is it that Sharples can never have pasta and antipasto at one meal?

Tonight: Clear. Lows near 50.
Would there be some sort of catastrophic matter-antimatter reaction?

Tomorrow: Some sun. Highs in the lower 70s.
Hey, don’t laugh, it happened on Star Trek once…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken and dumplings, buttered noodles, *baked tofu, pierogies, broccoli, cauliflower
**Asian bar

Dinner: Meat lasagna, garlic bread sticks, vegetable lasagna, *Suzies’ sieten, vegetable blend, cut green beans
**Antipasto bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

A foreign aid spending bill, hailed as “the most important foreign policy initiative for the new millennium,” passed through  Congress yesterday. The bill granted President Clinton the additional $435 million he had requested for the relief of foreign debts. Part of a $14.9 billion foreign aid fund allocation, the bill sailed through Congress with strong bipartisan support, including Rep. John LaFalce, D-NY, the author of the above quote.

Kie C. Fallis, the top Pentagon authority on Middle East terrorism issues, resigned yesterday over the controversy regarding the USS Cole. Claiming that his advice had not been heeded in the days leading up to the bombing, Fallis seemed to indicate that the tragedy could have been prevented and that the US will face similar threats over the coming months. In other news related to the bombing, Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh  released news that one of the suspects in the attack is Egyptian and was a part of the Islamic Jihad movement.

The UN-sponsored Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released reports to the AP yesterday which indicated that global warning is a more real and dangerous threat than the scientific community had previously acknowledged. Citing data that man has had greater effect on the environment than ever-before realized, the Panel raised estimates of possible temperature increases over the next century to 2.7-11 degrees Fahrenheit. Much of the blame was directed at the industrialized nations who met in Kyoto, Japan three years ago and resolved to lower greenhouse gases below 1990 levels. None of those countries has ratified the international directive yet.

2) Campus events

“Women’s Words in a New World — Recent Russian Femme Fiction” by Helena Goscilo, University of Pittsburgh
Bond Memorial Hall, 4:30 p.m.

M & T Bank Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Swarthbucklers Fencing Practice
Upper Tarble, 7:30 p.m.

“Does the Language We Speak Affect Our Thought?” by Lila Gleitman, University of Pennsylvania
Kirby Lecture Hall, 8:00 p.m.

Empty the Shelters Meeting
Kohlberg 116, 9:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Men’s soccer can’t crack OT curse

The men’s soccer team found the extra period to be the cruellest of times once again with an OT loss to Washington College, 2-1. For the fourth time in two months, Swat entered extra time full of promise, only to be turned away from the gates of victory. Despite a goal by Justin Stanisky ’03 33 minutes into the game and a 1-0 lead with just 3:14 left in play, the team was tied and then 6 minutes into OT, beaten. Heading into Homecoming Weekend, Swat is still searching for its first Centennial Conference win (0-7), and is 3-10 overall.

2) Volleyball drops final game

A largely successful season for the volleyball team ended last night with a 3-0 (8-15, 3-15, 13-15) loss to Haverford. Nevertheless, the defeat did not mar a season which saw two victories over rival Bryn Mawr and a thrilling 3-2 victory over Neumann. The team’s final record stands at 3-7 in Conference action and 9-18 overall.

3) World sports roundup

The Yankees are within one game of another World Series Championship after defeating the Mets 3-2 in Game 4 last night. Sparked by a first-pitch homer from Derek Jeter, the Yanks managed to hold the Mets to a two-run Mike Piazza dinger with over four innings of superb relief pitching. They now have a chance to close out the Series and their 3rd consecutive title back in the Bronx on Thursday. …Darryl Strawberry, suspended from baseball for drug abuse and under house arrest to rehab, was arrested yesterday after testing positive for cocaine use. The arrest was just the latest in a series of incidents for the beleaguered ex-star. Having launched a successful comeback with the Yankees three years ago, Strawberry has since been diagnosed with colon cancer and been found guilty of drug use and soliciting a prostitute. …The Minnesota Timberwolves were severely punished yesterday by NBA Commissioner David Stern for signing Joe Smith to an illegal contract. As a result of the discovery of a secret agreement between Smith and the team, the T-Wolves were fined $3.5 million and stripped of their next five first-round draft picks. Punishments for the team owner and GM Kevin McHale are pending.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:

Field hockey vs. Washington (at Johns Hopkins) – Centennial Conference Playoffs, 2:30 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“There is only one terminal dignity – love.” – Helen Hayes