Thursday, October 12, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Thursday, October 12, 2000
Volume 5, Number 24

Sound off on the Tarble price increase!
gazette-management@student-publications.swarthmore.edu

Visit the Daily Gazette Web Site at:
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Prices to increase at Essie Mae’s
2) ADVICE seeks faculty info
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Volleyball takes big win over Dickinson
2) Soccer drops yet another OT nail-biter
3) World sports roundup
4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Sunny with a light wind. Highs in the low 70s.
One more day before break…

Tonight: Clear. Lows in the mid 40s.
Well, as long as you don’t count today…

Tomorrow: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s.
OH NO! TWO WHOLE DAYS UNTIL BREAK!!! AAAHHHH!!!

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Maryland crabcakes, lattice cut fries, *lentil stew, *roasted tofu, baby carrots, cauliflower
**Club bar

Dinner: Fried chicken, yams with apples, maccaroni and cheese, *mashed black beans, stewed tomatoes, green beans
**Breakfast bar

NEWS REPORT

1) Prices to increase at Essie Mae’s

Students who are used to stocking up on bottled drinks at Essie Mae’s snack bar in Tarble can expect to bring home less beverage for their buck when they return from break.

According to Dining Services director Linda McDougall, the prices of all bottled drinks sold in Tarble will soon be raised by $.25. In explaining the price increase, McDougall said “it is important for us to keep our prices for packaged and bottled goods in line with the price increases we receive from our distributors in order to meet our budget.”

Since this price hike means that students will no longer be able to purchase a bagel and a bottle of juice for the $2 of meal credit allotted for breakfast, McDougall said that a juice dispenser similar to the ones in Sharples will be installed in Essie Mae’s so that students can get a 16-ounce cup of juice and a bagel for their breakfast credit.

Initial student reaction appears to be negative. While she appreciates the juice dispenser option, Rebecca Wilkinson, ’02 is still unhappy to hear the news. “Those cups just aren’t as portable as the bottled juices are,” she said.

While McDougall understands this drawback, she insists that the move was necessary in order to offset higher prices being charged by her suppliers. Essie Mae’s manager Marie Dalton says that the new prices, and the juice dispenser, will greet students when they return from fall break.

– Karla Gilbride

2) ADVICE seeks faculty info

At Monday’s Student Council meeting, Gloria Chan ’02 proposed that ADVICE work with SC to push the Provost’s Office to release a bulletin of faculty hiring, tenure-track promotions, and other related news each semester. Student Council unanimously approved the proposal. Peter Holm ’01 and Andy Wong ’02 committed to working with Chan on this proposal.

In other SC news, co-chairs Jen Pao ’01 and Jordan Brackett ’01 met with Al Bloom to discuss having an all-campus discussion on the issue of the hotel in the ville. They also discussed plans for an upcoming fireside chat with the college president.

As for the still-unoccupied student space in the former game room, Student Council voted rescind votes on all previously examined proposals, and to allow student groups to retool their proposals for final consideration on the Monday after Fall Break.

– Jeff Heckelman

3) World news roundup

The 100th flight in the space shuttle Discovery’s illustrious career finally got off the ground yesterday. After 3 weeks of technical problems and uncooperative weather, the spacefaring vessel launched from Cape Canaveral, en route to a rendezvous with the International Space Station. These delays were minute, however, in comparison to the 2 year wait that the mission has experienced while Russia was establishing the station’s crew quarters.

Vice President Al Gore and Texas Gov. George W. Bush squared off in the second of three nationally-televised debates yesterday evening before a packed house in Winston-Salem, NC. Unlike the first debate, last night’s contest was held in an informal table format, with both candidates being questioned on eye-level by moderator Jim Lehrer. And while the debate did not become too feisty, sticking to the pattern set by the first session, each candidate did manage several mild attacks on the other, while debating issues such as foreign policy, healthcare, and the environment.

A bill that eases economic sanctions against Cuba was passed by the House of Representatives yesterday. The legislation calls for a removal of bans on food and medicine trade, but does not change America’s position on tourism to the island nation, causing President Clinton to express concerns that the bill did not go far enough in aiding suffering Cubans. The US has had these restrictions since Cuba began accepting Soviet aid in 1962, and to have them reversed, will need support for the bill in the Senate.

4) Campus events

“Extraordinary Compositions: The Spiritual Writings of Ibn Arabi” by Stephen Hirtenstein, Oxford University.
Trotter 203, 4:30 p.m.

Search Associates Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:30 p.m.

Swarthbucklers Practice
Upper Tarble, 7:30 p.m.

Anime Showing
Kirby Lecture Hall – Martin, 8:00 p.m.

English Country Dancing
LPAC Dance Studio 3, 8:15 p.m.

Empty the Shelters Meeting
Kohlberg 116, 9:00 p.m.

QSA Workshop #5: BDSM 101
IC Big Room, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

The volleyball team cruised to a 3-1 (9-15, 15-7, 15-8, 15-13) victory over Dickinson yesterday. Christine Hancock ’02 led the cause with 16 kills and 16 digs. But, of course, it was a team effort with Bryn Rosenfeld ’03 contributing 9 kills, Bonnie French ’01 adding 19 set assists, and Emma Benn ’01 closing the door with 4 service aces. The Centennial Conference win brings the Garnet’s Conference record to 2-4, and 5-12 overall.

The question that lingered after the soccer team’s 1-0 overtime loss to Alvernia yesterday was: “Is Swat soccer cursed?” For the third time in a month, the Garnet went to OT knotted at 0-0, and for the third time, they left with a loss, after Alvernia scored 5 minutes into the extra period. The defeat drops the team’s record to 3-7 overall.

3) World sports roundup

Having swept the Chicago White Sox in their first-round playoff series, the Seattle Mariners were thwarted in their attempt to repeat the feat after being defeated by the New York Yankees last night, 7-1. Scoring all 7 runs in the eigth inning, including a Derek Jeter homerun, the Yanks were able to stifle the Mariners’ potent offense through a stellar performance by Orlando Hernandez. With the series now tied at one game apiece, the teams travel to Seattle for Game 3 on Friday… The New York Mets opened their NLCS series with a bang, by beating the host St. Louis Cardinals, 6-2. Behind Mike Hampton’s strong pitching, the Mets were able to win relatively easily, getting homers from both Todd Zeile and Jay Payton. Game 2 is in St. Louis this evening… In a report published yesterday by the New York Times, Major League Baseball players, coaches, and trainers admitted to the sport being saturated with steroid abuse. With estimates of up to 40% of players using the drug and several recent cases of documented abuse, baseball has come under increasing criticism. Nevertheless, the league has no official policy banning steroids.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Field hockey hosts Washington, 4:00 p.m.
Women’s soccer at Washington, 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

No contests scheduled for tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” – Bertrand Russel